Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boy, 7, asks Mexico to help stop mom's deportation

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html]

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- He's a serious 7-year-old on a mission to save his mom.

Four-foot-tall second-grader Saul Arellano, a U.S. citizen, was to stand before 500 members of the lower house of the Mexican Congress on Tuesday to plead for their help in lobbying Washington to stop the deportation of his migrant mother, who has taken refuge in a Chicago church.

His fight is being closely watched on both sides of the border: The result could set a precedent for more than 3 million children, like him, who are Americans born to at least one parent who is in the U.S. illegally.

While his mother, Elvira Arellano, stays inside the Adalberto United Methodist Church on Chicago's West Side, Saul has joined a months-long campaign on her behalf, speaking out from Los Angeles to Washington, where he handed a White House guard his letter to President Bush.

"I want my mom to stay with me in the U.S.," he told The Associated Press on Monday in between informal meetings with Mexican lawmakers.

Since August 15 -- the day she was scheduled to surrender to U.S. authorities for deportation -- mother and son have lived at the church. U.S. federal officials have said there is no right to sanctuary in a church under U.S. law, and nothing to prevent them from arresting her.

But so far, they have not moved to detain Elvira Arellano, who has won the support from political figures across the United States, including Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

Arellano, 31, said she sent her son to her homeland because she believes the Mexican government has the ability to help her.

"If the Mexican government can negotiate a free-trade agreement, they can negotiate a good accord to keep families from being split up," she said.

But immigration reform has proved to be a much tougher issue to resolve than trade. President Vicente Fox, who leaves office December 1, has struggled throughout his six-year term to gain Washington's support for a migration accord that would allow for thousands of Mexicans to work legally in the U.S. And while Bush personally supports a temporary guest-worker program, Republicans in Congress limited action to strengthening the border fence.

Arellano said she should not have to choose between leaving her son behind in the U.S. or bringing him to Mexico, away from his school, friends and familiar environment.

Conservative columnists and anti-illegal immigration activists say she put herself and her son in this difficult spot by repeatedly breaking the law.

Arellano illegally crossed into the United States in 1997 and was deported shortly afterward. She returned within days, living for three years in Oregon before moving to Chicago in 2000.

She was arrested two years later at O'Hare International Airport, where she worked as a cleaning woman. Convicted of working under a false Social Security number, she served three years probation before being ordered to appear at the immigration office in Chicago.

What exactly is he saying to the Mexican Congress??

Please don't let them deport my mommie so she won't have to bring me to live in this sucky country?

I thought Elvira said that Saul was a LEGAL U.S. Citizen?

Why is he in Mexico lobbying for his lawbreaking mother? I wish the Mexican government would keep him.

Let me break out the kleenex

No one is trying to separate mother and son, the standard international procedure would have the son accompany his parents when they were deported. If the President and United States government wereto pardon Elvira the illegalaliens in this country would be popping out babies right and left.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why do you hate Mexico so much, Saul?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Arellano, 31, said she sent her son to her homeland because she believes the Mexican government has the ability to help her.
    Mexico is going to help you????? Remember why you left that hellhole....because they do NOTHING to help their people. I'm sure the Mexican govt. will take it as a compliment when they are asked to help you stay out of their corrupt, slimepit of a country.

Saul Arellano....Poster Child for Illegal Immigrants!

Can a non family member/non guardian transport a minor child across foreign country lines? If by chance, they claim a member of this party that transported him is a legal guardian, how could that be? A Federal Felon illegal alien who can't leave a church can't go to court to declare some one else his legal guardian...?
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

MW
    She was arrested two years later at O'Hare International Airport, where she worked as a cleaning woman. Convicted of working under a false Social Security number, she served three years probation before being ordered to appear at the immigration office in Chicago.
    Okay, this is a little confusing to me. Why was Elvira allowed to serve three years probation (in country) before being ordered to report to the Chicago immigration office? Did this have something to do with her son needing medical treatment for ADHD?

For the record, ADD medication is avialable in Mexico. The Elvira problem should have been taken care of three years ago. Oops, silly me, she would have just re-entered the country within 30 days of being deported, which means we would still be dealing with her. People like her need to serve prison time, it's the only way they'll learn we're serious about enforcing our laws. For that matter, any illegal immigrant that re-enters the country after being deported should go straight to prison for a minimum of 12 months. By law, they are felons and can be sentenced to prison.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast