Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush gives in to pressure over illegal migrants

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

The Bush administration has signalled a big policy reversal on illegal immigration, telling a worried public that it is "rightly distressed" about the nation's porous borders.

The homeland security secretary, Michael Chertoff, made what amounted to a U-turn on immigration policy after months of rising pressure from congressmen and law enforcement officials.

The Minutemen: volunteers who patrol the Mexico-US border
    Mr Chertoff appeared to bow in the direction of public opinion, which is increasingly restive over the unrestricted flood of people into the US.

"The American public is rightly distressed about a situation in which they feel we do not have the proper control over our borders," he said.

Announcing a series of measures, Mr Chertoff said he would build camps for illegal migrants, speed up deportations by providing more judges and lawyers and raise the number of officers tracking down fugitives ignoring expulsion orders.

Last week, two border states declared emergencies, saying that tens of thousands of illegal migrants were bringing border security to the point of collapse. Drug smuggling and other criminal activity are also on the rise.

Mr Chertoff wrote to the governor of one of the border states, Arizona, and promised swift action. "We are moving forward quickly and aggressively to fashion a comprehensive plan with real solutions," he said.

The administration's promises were welcomed by Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico, who had complained that his police officers were being overwhelmed. "I am a bit more optimistic," he told the New York Times.

At least a million people a year are entering the US illegally through the southern border with Mexico.

Until now, the administration has emphasised the need to legalise many of the 10 million illegal immigrants by offering them work papers.

But that has angered many congressmen, particularly Republicans, who face tough re-election battles next year. They have demanded stronger enforcement, which is what the Bush team is now promising.

Most polls indicate that more than 80 per cent of Americans believe border protection is too lax.

Congress and the White House have been unable to agree on new legislation, with legislators seeking tougher enforcement and President George W Bush's aides seeking an amnesty for many of the illegals.

The stalemate has spurred a number of unofficial responses, including the Minutemen, a volunteer group that has stationed members along America's 2,000-mile border with Mexico.

But Mr Chertoff said volunteer militias did not provide the answer. "The border is a very dangerous place. This is not a place for people to play as amateurs," he said.

The American immigration system is close to collapse. This year, the federal authorities have caught almost 500,000 illegal migrants, with 142,000 from countries other than Mexico. That has forced officials to release many before they reach deportation hearings.

America already spends $7.3 billion (£4.2 billion) on border security, an increase of more than 50 per cent since the September 11 attacks.

But Right-wing critics say the only workable solution is to punish American firms employing illegal migrants.

editorial@telegraph-usa.com

America already spends $7.3 billion (£4.2 billion) on border security, an increase of more than 50 per cent since the September 11 attacks.
    It is still just simply amazing, that only 7.3 billion is spent. When i can't get it off my mind, 286 billion on the highway fund. Then the Energy bill of some 9 billion giving to the oil companies. Which when i read this bill. Oh the loop holes, where it might cost the tax payers billions more.

As for an elected officals, there is a few out there, that has us in there mind and out there everyday. Working for a safer America.

And here we all are, fighting to get our officals to respond, take action.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

I just checked CNN, MSNBC and FOX. Nothing. Why is this in a British news page and not showing up here in the US????

Hmmmmm......

JohnB2012, I'm just not wondering if Michael Chertoff along with comments made by President Bush aren't just a bunch of rhetoric designed to passify us who are trying to do something about our borders. Only time will tell. The fact that the president has called all of these illegals "undocumented" workers", shows you that he isn't entirely honest. He should call them what they are--criminals. So what would make anyone think that Bush and Chertoff have honestly done a U-turn in their policies--only time will tell.

As for our media, well, you can't depend on them for the kind of reporting that America needs, except for a few, like Lou Dobbs and Mr. O'Reily. The three main networks--they really do a poor job in addressing the really important issues, but, that may change as well--only time will tell. Question is--do we have the time?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Bush administration has signalled a big policy reversal on illegal immigration, telling
    Talk is cheap.
    Where is the action?
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

I don't believe in any such thing as a 'policy reversal' unless he's afraid that he might get impeached...or that he hopes to revive those sinking poll numbers.

Bush has proven totally intractable too often...I've always said the stupid and stubborn go hand in hand.

I won't believe a thing he says...ever again...i believe only action. There might be a bit more rhetoric but only enough action that he thinks voters will shut up.

I won't.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Congress and the White House have been unable to agree on new legislation, with legislators seeking tougher enforcement and President George W Bush's aides seeking an amnesty for many of the illegals.
    It's all smoke and mirrors.

The poll numbers are going down, so it has to appear that they're going to do something.

They are. Amnesty is in the air.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

September is going to be an interesting month regarding this. We've now heard a lot of talk, from them. let's see the action. ALSO, let's hear the words directly from the horse's mouth on TV to the American people.
    We're waiting...........
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    It's all smoke and mirrors.

The poll numbers are going down, so it has to appear that they're going to do something.

They are. Amnesty is in the air.
    neither the President nor Congress has Constitutional authority to grant amnesty to "illegal aliens" --- aliens are subject to a 'foreign power' under the "law of nations" and not the laws of the united States . . . the ONLY authority is to 'repel invasions' and 'define and punish' violations against the 'law of nations' --- AMNESTY is NOT an option
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Found more info from NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/po.../24border.html

He also again urged Congress to pass President Bush's proposal establishing a new temporary-worker program, which would legalize entry of some migrant workers who now cross the border illegally. Enactment would almost certainly reduce the flow of illegal immigrants, he said, allowing Border Patrol and immigration enforcement officials to focus on more serious offenders, or perhaps even terrorists, trying to enter the country.

Some immigration experts questioned Tuesday whether this latest push to stabilize the border would result in much change. For example, these experts said, the Bush administration has not indicated any willingness to crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants.
    My sister-in-law told me this weekend her grandson would be a good politician. I told her to take him out and shoot him now!