Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA: Activists split over new 'Day Without an Immigrant'

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02 ... _13_07.txt

Activists split over new 'Day Without an Immigrant'
    Feb 13, 2007
    By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- Immigrant rights activists from Los Angeles say they plan to repeat last May's "Day Without an Immigrant" boycott in which many immigrants passed on work and school to protest what they called unfair immigration proposals, but local activists say a second such protest may not be a good idea.

Local activists for the immigrant community are still considering whether they would participate in another national day of protest. But other state and national figures, including Dolores Huerta, a leading Latino rights activist who co-founded the United Farm Workers with Cesar Chavez, say they would not support a boycott.

One of the main concerns among those opposing this year's boycott is fear of a backlash against the community. Some say a boycott could lead to workers losing their jobs, students being expelled and further emphasizing critics' views of Latinos as outsiders.

Last year's protest created some public backlash from anti-illegal immigration groups who called the boycott irreverent and misdirected.

Bill De La Fuente, who founded a North County-based Latino Merchants Association, said he supported last year's protest, but he is not sure he will again this year.

"I think we've got to get smart and use different tactics," De La Fuente said.

A group called the March 25 Coalition, which organized a mass demonstration in Los Angeles last year, said they plan to call on supporters to avoid work, school, shopping or selling on May 1.

The coalition, made up of various organizations and individuals, says it supports an amnesty for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in the country.

"The goal is to pressure the Congress and the Bush administration to come up with a satisfactory immigration reform that will be inclusive, humane, proimmigrant and proworker," said Javier Rodriguez, a spokesman for the coalition.

Nativo Lopez of Los Angeles, one of the principal leaders of the coalition last year and who split with the organization in August, recently said his group would not support the boycott. Lopez is president of the Mexican American Political Association, a Latino rights advocacy group based in Los Angeles.

"We are of the opinion that the call for a general strike is both premature and irresponsible at this juncture," Lopez said in a statement.

Speaking at a recent immigrant rights conference, Huerta called on activists to work with the new Democrat-led Congress on immigration reform. She is president of a Bakersfield-based community organizing foundation.

Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Solana Beach, said calls for amnesty through protests will not work. Bilbray, who said he supports stronger border enforcement, was recently named chairman of the Republican-dominated Immigration Reform Caucus.

"We're willing to sit down with anyone on this issue, but true immigration reform, not amnesty," Bilbray said. "I would love to have another day without illegal aliens ... not going to emergency rooms. Maybe we can save a lot of money May 1st."

Last year, Congress debated two immigration reform bills, but failed to reach a compromise. The House version of the bill emphasized strict enforcement measures, while the Senate version included more border enforcement along with a legalization process and a guest-worker program.

Rodriguez said the coalition opposed both versions because they were not inclusive enough.

In North County, thousands of protesters took part in demonstrations to show their social and economic clout. Though many said the effects were largely symbolic, numerous Latino-owned businesses closed and school officials said there were as many as 10,000 more absentees than normal at local schools.

But some business owners experienced a backlash, De La Fuente said. Negative comments were made against some of the owners that participated and anti-illegal immigrant groups were emboldened by the protests, he said.

Consuelo Martinez, who founded the a grass-roots immigrant rights group called the Escondido Human Rights Committee, said members of the group have not discussed whether to participate in a new boycott.

She added that there are measures supporters can take to minimize a negative reaction.

For example, Martinez said she plans to make prior arrangements with her employer to take the day off. She said students could participate in special learning activities, such as lessons about immigration and workers' rights.

"I think there was a backlash," Martinez said. "In any movement, there is going to be a backlash, whether it's anti-war or proimmigrant, but that shouldn't stop people from standing up for what they believe in."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal immigrants not wanted

Americans welcome legal immigrants infact we bend over backwards to give them a start. Legal immigrants get small business loans before Americans, they get benefits and assistance from the federal government. While I personnally believe that legal immigration should be decreased until we found out what America really needs I believe that most people don't have a problem with legal immigrants, it is the illegal immigrants that people object to. Why must open border, pro-amnesty hid by not realizing the difference.

The last May 1st march is the precise event that woke me up about this issue -so sure....have another and wake up another few million Americans.

"We're willing to sit down with anyone on this issue, but true immigration reform, not amnesty," Bilbray said. "I would love to have another day without illegal aliens ... not going to emergency rooms. Maybe we can save a lot of money May 1st."

Glad to hear this guy is in charge. Love his comment.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think they should definitely march again. Then we can watch the backlash ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968
    I think they should definitely march again. Then we can watch the backlash ensue.
    I love it. They brought a lot of negative attention to themselves. Maybe they should try it for a week this year...or a month...or a year.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    I've been apprehensive about what they will try to do in May again this year. This time I wish there was more formal resistance planned by political, education, and business leaders against this form of rebellion. To voice constituent pressure, I think we should call our school systems and mayors right away to insist they prepare for and pre-condemn any more garbage like this.

Some say a boycott could lead to workers losing their jobs, students being expelled and further emphasizing critics' views of Latinos as outsiders.
    YOU BET YOU SHOULD LOSE YOUR JOBS.
    YOU BET YOUR CHILDREN SHOULD BE EXPELLED.
    AND YOU BET AMERICANS WILL CHASTISE YOU.

WE ARE SICK OF YOUR DEMANDS!

Even if they do march it won't look anything like last year. They will be on their best behavior with the proper flags, etc. I will never forget last year, that opened my eyes wider. Living here you'd have to have your eyes completely shut and live in a closet not to know what's happening.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Bring it! wrote on February 13, 2007 10:36 PM:"The last boycott costs my housekeeper her job. I found out I didn't need her anyway and that I had just gotten lazy. "

Give It Up! wrote on February 13, 2007 10:46 PM:"Is it possible that the backlash that resulted from seeing thousands of lawbreakers waving Mexican flags while giving this country the equivalent of a middle finger salute has shown many of these "latino activists" that their attempt to bring our economy to its' knees was a failure? Can any of you name one instance of a positive that your unruly clogging of our streets and walking out on your employers for a day actually brought you? Do you dare pressure Latinos in your community to walk again because I doubt you will see employers being as understanding as last year, when Latinos used this day as an extra holiday. Any decision to take a day off this year will equal a big spike in the unemployment ranks if business owners I talk to make good on their promises."

Ask Kraker wrote on February 13, 2007 11:28 PM:"Did anything REALLY change the last time? So why do it again? Maybe they can protest with the SM College Professors, then they can get nothing accomplished together... "

Fence Man wrote on February 13, 2007 11:29 PM:"Does this mean they'll all go back to their country for the day too?... If thats the case, hopefully more of the border fence will be built before they try to come back in."

I welcome wrote on February 14, 2007 12:33 AM:"another "Day without Illegal Immigrants" In fact, I welcome everyday without illegal immigrants. Bring it on. Look at the money the taxpayers will be saving. Great idea. "

How About a Day Without Racists wrote on February 14, 2007 1:41 AM:"How about a day without the race baiting Minutemen nonsense. Problem is that those old codgers can't keep their mouths shut for more than 5 minutes."

John wrote on February 14, 2007 2:13 AM:"A day without Imigrants,(Illeagel aliens) will be a day without Tacos and Burritos,a day without traffic in Escondido,a day when theyll come out of the woodwork waiving that Infernal Mexican flag again,Maby thell march right back accross the border.And take care of the problem that brought them here in the first place,Corruption."

Roberto wrote on February 14, 2007 5:55 AM:"I support the "Day Without an Immigrant." Since we all know the day has nothing to do with the legal immigrants it has to be one of the best tools the anti-"illegal" immigration supporters have. Is there any better way to prove to the citizen's of the United States the extreme cost and stress the illegal immigrants put on our infrastructure than when they are not participating in it. The roads are passable, classrooms are reasonably sized, it is a great day. But what about those jobs "United States" citizens won't do? That leads to another wonder example. It shows how many jobs are really out there being taken from citizens by illegal immigrants willing to work for slave labor wages. Jobs that citizens are willing to do, but at wages citizens can't afford to accept. So please, we beg of you, hold your protest again. It is one of the best tools we have."

blm wrote on February 14, 2007 6:32 AM:"anybody remember how effective the baseball players strike was?"

Jeff wrote on February 14, 2007 6:49 AM:"I think they should take the whole week off. It was so nice driving around the freeways last time. I could get very used to it."

Wally wrote on February 14, 2007 6:54 AM:" The immigrant community might feel empowered but the backlash of negative emotion would be long lasting. Some mitigation could be achieved if the day were spent in self help projects, such as, grafitti removal and neighborhood clean up and trash removal from the canyons, no driving without a liscence or insurance and English as a second language teach-ins . Sentiment is running very high against the latino immigrant community here in southern california--and that is not unconnected from the perceived negative impact of this community on the larger community. Boycotting schools results in less reimbursement to local schools based on attendance--if leaders advocate this let the loss be proportionally spread based on attendance records for that day. "

Pluto wrote on February 14, 2007 7:14 AM:"The numbers and widespread solidarity last year was great, but I'm not sure a big, national protest each year is the right thing. Last year we were facing the outrageous Sensenbrenner bill, which was being pushed by all the ideologues on the right. A big response was called for, screw the backlash. Outrages continue, but the conditions are not exactly the same. Since then we've battled it out in city council meetings and elections, formed local groups and coalitions. Therefore, I can understand why some of the Latino organizations are not going to mobilize for a big event this year. But as individuals, we can support it and participate. I probably will. Viva La Raza!"

Real Citizen wrote on February 14, 2007 7:22 AM:"Wow! 10,000 kids not in school? I am sure they are all anchor babies. This just shows the negative impact on real citizen's resources illegals have. Just think if we had every day without illegals, how much nicer it would be.....no over crowded schools, emergency rooms welfare. After May 1, of last year, I have boycotted anything that would support these law breakers. Why can't mexicans immigrate the proper way? Why can't they stay in line like eveyrone else. This will probably not be posted cause the ntc does not belive in freedom of speech, especially when's it's anti illegal."

Robert24 wrote on February 14, 2007 7:33 AM:""Day Without an Immigrant" or, more accurately, "Anti America Day" activists: Just make it a whole year. Better yet, how about forever? "Day Without an Immigrant" has nothing to do with immigration, and everything to do with supporting and trying to rationalize illegal activity. It flopped last year (I still do not go to any of the stores that supported it)and opened the eyes of legal residents to the freeway congestion, supermarket congestion, and hospital overload created by this group. I even remember going to Costco last year on this day and walking right up to the check out, with nobody (or their 6 kids eating all the freebies at every corner aisle!)in line. The freeway was clear and moving as well. Alright, "immigrant supporters", do it again. I can't wait for another glorious day to shop and drive on the roads. If you can't pull it off forever, how about making the whole month of May without immigrants? I'm getting excited now......! "

YAY! wrote on February 14, 2007 7:43 AM:"Another day with no traffic, no illegals hanging outside 7-11 at 9am drinking beer and leering at teenage girls on their way to school, no lines. Nobody driving 50mph in the fast lane and all these businesses that hire illegal aliens closed. WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK FOR? I wish they would have these "day's without an immigrant" once per month. Heck, its like a holiday for those of that actually contribute."

Robert wrote on February 14, 2007 7:52 AM:"Enough all ready!! If they strike or skip work, FIRE them; if they skip school, SUSPEND them! It is past time for these folks to recognize the fact that they are law breakers and need to follow the proper route to acheive their goals. We need more raids against companies like Swift, namely TYSON's FOODS and deport the illegals and fine the employers!!"

Consequences... wrote on February 14, 2007 7:56 AM:"A "Backlash"? I agree. But it looks a little more like CONSEQUENCES. Whether we like it or not, we all are responsible for our own actions. But let's take a step back... and look at the consequences for coming to America ILLEGALLY. Let's ask the illegal community to take responsibility for THOSE actions."

Margaret wrote on February 14, 2007 8:00 AM:"I hope they DO boycott. It was so nice last year having all the illegals off the roads and out of the stores. Let's do it again!"

Shelley wrote on February 14, 2007 8:08 AM:"I think its a great idea. Last year they made a great impression on me. I just cannnot understand how people believe that they deserve something that they did not earn. To believe that something belongs to you when it clearly does not. that you are owed something simply because you are here. If americans decided to have a 'day without americans' then you would see who is truely needed. ther would be no mail, so no walfare checks. no buses. no trash.the power plants would shut down.no gas stations. no school. no free lunch.only stater bros would be open(the new Gigante).no liqour stores.ect ect ect. when illegals did it we had no oranges. no traffic.and everywhere i went everyone spoke engish.I want my country back. I have had about as much as I can stand of this crap I tired of the talk back and forth blah blah blah.its time for action."

Pat wrote on February 14, 2007 8:16 AM:"I would like to see the US have the same policy toward those in the country illegally as Mexico does. Straight to jail! Then we wouldn't have these protests. What nerve they have. Breaking our laws and then demanding citizenship while waving the Mexican Flag. It does not serve the US well to have a large population of people from Mexico with dual citizenship and ultimately Mexico telling them how to vote in our elections."

Rats... wrote on February 14, 2007 8:26 AM:"Well, I was sure looking forward to another day of being able to use the freeway(s) again; hope they will go ahead with the boycott."

GFN wrote on February 14, 2007 8:28 AM:"Boycott...don't be afraid. As a matter of fact, do it up really good. Boycott for a month or even a year. Prove to us how much we need you. It won't be hard because we will not be able to survive without you. Boycott...dont' be afraid."

Bad Bob wrote on February 14, 2007 8:33 AM:"Good idea! However, why just a day? Why not a week, month, year, or forever without immigrants! If you ever been to Mexico it is a beautiful country. These people need to go back to their country and fight for their rights like we did a couple hundred years ago. Running away to our country to solve their problems only creates alot more problems for everybody."

YES! wrote on February 14, 2007 8:43 AM:"YES! you “Latino Groups”, please have another “Day without Immigrants” boycott! The last one created the best, least stressful day we’ve had in years. It also allowed us to see just how proud your people are of America (not) and which businesses shut down in support so we can avoid shopping there in the future. Rather than trying to tell American citizens who have given you more and more of everything how we should or should not conduct our immigration, you should do your demonstrations IN MEXICO! Latino “rights” groups should be putting their efforts into bringing the country of Mexico up rather than trying to bring ours down! So, please do us a favor and show us again who among you continue to show contempt for America! "

May I have another wrote on February 14, 2007 8:55 AM:" PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE boycott! Last year the drive to work was easy, lines were short and I could understand the lady at the drive thru window. It's the least you can do for all we do for you."

cATboNE wrote on February 14, 2007 9:01 AM:"Everybody get ready to change the locks! While they're gone!"

Not a day without a immigrant wrote on February 14, 2007 9:06 AM:"It should be a day without an "ILLEGAL" I loved it last year! Do it again. I haven't gone back to the places that boycotted. "

Go Ahead wrote on February 14, 2007 9:11 AM:"Remind us again of what a bad idea it is to have yall around."

Criminals on Parade! wrote on February 14, 2007 9:13 AM:"Another opportunity for the law abiding citizens of the United States to see what they have LET happen by giving away our hard earned tax dollars to all these socialist groups! This is the thanks we get for taking care of their health, educating their children and supporting illegal immigrants "rights". Would an immigrant that came here legally support this communist march? I think not! This is a golden opportunity to round up a good sized chunk of illegals and gang bangers and ship them back to the country that they have pledged themselves to. I don't want even one penny of my legally earned cash to go to anyone who is here illegally!!! Has there been a formula developed to calculate just how much of your taxes go to suppoting illegal immigrants? I'd love to see "A Day Illegals DON'T Recieve Freebies From American Taxpayers"! "

Bill wrote on February 14, 2007 9:24 AM:"I can't wait....at least one day with light traffis would be great."

Please, Please! wrote on February 14, 2007 9:29 AM:"Have another day without illegal aliens. The last one reminded me how nice the City of Escondido can be. My shopping was so much nicer, the traffic was better, the English speaking students had better teaching. So please have one day a week to protest for illegal lawbreakers."

Sara wrote on February 14, 2007 9:32 AM:"This might not be the right solution. We do need something to force Bush and his administration to come up with a solution that would help Mexico and America work hand in hand. We are all here and we should be able to work together instead of fueling all this hate. "

Holly Hollar mouth wrote on February 14, 2007 9:34 AM:"When all the freeways were clear, the stores almost vacant, and all of California was alot less crowded for just one day.... it was just a tease at what it will really be like when this countrys administration gets a backbone and really enforces our borders. GO HOME ILLEGALS!!!"

let's do it!! wrote on February 14, 2007 9:46 AM:"That was my best commute day ever! I got downtown from SM in 33 minutes!! Go back to your home country ALL ILLEGALS!! We don't need you! Welcome to all LEGAL immigrants, you're welcome here!"

Connie wrote on February 14, 2007 9:46 AM:"Please, please, please, boycott again, it was a wonderful day on May 1st!"

Ron wrote on February 14, 2007 9:49 AM:"What about the 7,000 Iraqi's that Bush is going to let into the country? Who will be paying to support them?"

Ron wrote on February 14, 2007 9:51 AM:"Please, illegals, please, another day without having illegal aliens overwhelming emergency rooms, english heard vastly, all the gang bangers and street vendors in the same place showing America the true numbers of foreign invaders calling Americans the illegals and go back to Europe chants. What is Visa's montra, "Priceless,just Priceless. Why protest illegals, just assemble at Bank of America with some "Si Se Puedo" chants while you pick up your credit cards. Kill to birds with one stone. DEPORT OFTEN, DEPORT NOW! "

Please, Please! wrote on February 14, 2007 9:52 AM:"Have another day without illegal aliens. The last one was wonderful. Great shopping, less traffic, less gang members on the streets. Our schools had better learning classes for the English speaking students. Escondido was a very nice City for a day. So please have a protest day once a week. Bombard Bush with letters, emails and phone calls to close the border."

Kids will anyway wrote on February 14, 2007 9:55 AM:" Kids will walk out or not show up for school. They find any excuse to be justified. Parents need to exercise their authority and make them go to school and stay put! School districts are paid per student attendance. "

Cherie wrote on February 14, 2007 10:00 AM:"I hope they DO boycott, so the American people can see again what's going on. we tend to fall asleep when an issue is not "in our face"."

Let's Do It Again wrote on February 14, 2007 10:02 AM:"Why just a day without illegal Immigrants? How about a week, or a month, maybe a year? A whole decade or two without illegal immigrants?"

AResident wrote on February 14, 2007 10:03 AM:"I sure hope that all employers let their employees know that this is not a recognized Holiday in the USA. If you are working for my company you have to observe the Holiday schedule that is in place for the company. If not, you will be given 2 weeks notice. I can't have a succesful business if I have employees that will use any excuse to take an aditional day off."

May Day Backlash wrote on February 14, 2007 10:05 AM:"The protests last year only proved to the taxpaying citizens and legal residents what a huge problem illegal immigration has become. Just the sheer numbers of illegals in multiple cities proved that the government has no official count on how many illegals are actually in the country. Many homeowners in my neighbor haven't hired an illegal since because they realize they are already paying for their education, health care and social services."

a day without.....like getting a bonus paycheck wrote on February 14, 2007 10:15 AM:"That's right -- a day without an illegal immigrant is like a day getting a bonus check in the mail. A big check too, since the money that we have to pay in taxes to pay for the hand-outs that we give them is a huge amount of money. Bring it on! In fact, give me 364 more days without an illegal immigrant!!!!!"

Mary wrote on February 14, 2007 10:39 AM:"STAY HOME AND AWAY FROM THE ER! We don't need illegals to work for us! There are enough poor people that are US citizens that will take the jobs of illegals. Look at Swift meat packing plant: people stood in line to get the jobs the illegals were busted for. You stay home and we'll go elsewhere for our services: You ARE NOT needed. GO HOME to your families! "

Deb wrote on February 14, 2007 10:46 AM:"To Sara, Our government doesz have the solution...IT'S OPEN BORDERS WITH MEXICO! IT'S THE DESTRUCTION OF THE AMERICA WE KNOW AND LOVE AND THE AMEICA OUR SOLDIERS ARE DYING FOR AROUND THE WORLD! THEY'RE TOO BUSY TRYING TO STAY ALIVE TO KNOW WHAT OUR GOVERNMENT IS DOING BEHIND THE BACKS OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. The plan is called the Security prosperity Partnership or the North American Union. It even calls for a new currency called the Amero. It makes Canada, America and Mexico one nation! I bet you would think this is a good idea. It's about lowering the standard of living for Americans while raising it for Mexicans! Get the cob webs out of your brain and get educated on this issue! America has done more than enough for Mexico. It's time that corrupt government take resposibility for it's own!"

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! wrote on February 14, 2007 10:46 AM:"Please do it !! In fact, I want to see 10,000 Mexican flag and illegals even say they want to overthrow the US gov't, if they don't get amnesty. Better yet, I want illegals to directly threaten politicians if they don't give them amnesty"

June wrote on February 14, 2007 10:52 AM:"To all legal Americans!!! If the criminals march again this year, let's take the time to bombard Washington with our feelings about illegal immigration. Just this morning our president said he doesn't want to deport the 12 million illegals here. Then, Mr. President, how do you feel about deporting the 20 million here! Can't wait for Tom Tancredo."

ciceroRes wrote on February 14, 2007 10:59 AM:"I hope they do it again! Myself and my fellow Americans LOVED our day without immigrants (illegal mexicans). Our streets and stores and businesses were free of criminals and non-american- non english speaking foreigners. Do it again! Only this time make it 365 days without immigrants!!!!!!!"

CR wrote on February 14, 2007 11:09 AM:"How about a year without the illegals? It was SO nice last year to not have the traffic, especially around all the free handout places and community healthcare places without all the illegals waiting in line to sponge off our government. Traffic was better, and stores did not have to keep picking up stuff from the floors that the half-dozen out of control "anchor baby" kids (per illegal mom) were throwing there. PLEASE hold the event again this year--and do it often! I don't shop or eat at any of the places that closed last year, either--never will again. They can stay closed forever!"

I want the Police to wrote on February 14, 2007 11:30 AM:"arrest the protestors, I don't need the hassle like last year. Arrest and deport them all!!"

American woman wrote on February 14, 2007 11:31 AM:"Fabulous! I truly enjoyed the 'day without an immigrant,' although we all know the term "immigrant" is a misnomer. Of course, immigrants are the heart of America! These are the folks who have waited through long years and endless bureaucracy for the privilege of American citizenship. These are the people who make us what we are! That day last year seemed to embrace the population made up of illegal aliens in my neck of the woods, Riverside County! It was an awesome experience, being able to travel from Lake Elsinore to Rancho Cucamonga in just over 30 minutes! The stores were not teeming with illegal aliens and their (birthright citizen) children. I had to stop at WalMart and was treated to a store still neat and tidy from the early morning's cleaning! There were plenty of customers, but no clothing or toys on the floor, no screaming, unattended kiddies, and a seat at Micky D's without the din of loud Spanish-language conversation permeating the atmosphere. Spanish-language "announcements" over the PA system fell only on American ears, so they could have dispensed with that aggravation! Other than that, it was pure bliss! As long as these 25 million+ illegal aliens are allowed to remain unlawfully in this sovereign nation, I vote for a MONTHLY celebration of A DAY WITHOUT AN ILLEGAL ALIEN! Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows that every pro-illegal immigrant individual named in Mr. Sifuente's most recent propaganda piece is a part of the radical Latino/Hispanic movement in America! I propose that Ed Sifuentes be another candidate for the Mexico Dream-Team! I believe that a trip down-under is just the ticket for Ed. "

Jorge wrote on February 14, 2007 11:35 AM:"So Mr. Sifuentes, are you getting a handle on this yet? Assuming you are an American, why not show some American traits? How about a bit of patriotism?"

quinnie wrote on February 14, 2007 11:37 AM:"I'm glad to see that many thought the idea didn't work in practice. It shows that activism CAN evolve. The idea of protest and activism is that it has a positive effect on the community, as well as its participants. The point of activism is to show the benefits of change. Activism needs to change as well. The borderline racist and nationalists will be crying for border fences long after their precious USA has turned to the corporate controlled SPP. This is a bordertown. love it or leave it."

quinnie wrote on February 14, 2007 11:46 AM:"yeah and on St patricks day lets send all the irish back! the nerve of them flying their flags in OUR country!!!! Just you wait til columbus day too. That'll show em all!!!"

Protest? wrote on February 14, 2007 11:53 AM:"without a permit? I will place you under citizen's arrest and when you go to the Vista jail they can ID you, how is that? Doesn't sound too good now does it?"

Mary wrote on February 14, 2007 12:06 PM:"ummmmm, "quinnie", there aren't too many Illegal Irish in this country, and they weren't illegal when they came to this country. There were issues to be sure, but they (my relatives) weren't illegal. We came here legally and eventually were accepted. I still think we should punish the employers who hire illegals with huge fines/fees. I found out that the Social Security system has a way online if you are a business (not sure of the method) that you can check the Social Security number to make sure it is the person it is assigned to. So businesses have no excuse saying they can't check for illegals. I know as a legal Irish American, when I apply for a job, I have to show 2 forms of ID, give them a Social Security number, and give references. And the employer follows up on this info to verify that I am who I say I am. So let's put the responsibility on the employers!!"

Bob
    wrote on February 14, 2007 12:19 PM:"Hmmmm, don't you mean a day without an ILLEGAL ALIEN? (Which I'm all for by the way. How 'bout making it a country without an ILLEGAL ALIEN? That would be great!) I'm all for LEGAL immigrants. By the way, we all fall into the latter category, unless of course you're a Native American. Oh, and to all you supporters out there that like to wave your Mexican flags around and proclaim brown pride, why not go back to your mother country. I mean, you seem to love it so much, maybe you should work on the problems in your own backyard and stay out of mine. "

The Solution wrote on February 14, 2007 12:26 PM:"Bring our troops home from Iraq to guard the border. When they catch an illegal immigrant crossing the border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo and ship him to Iraq. Tell him if he wants to come to America then he must serve a tour in the military. Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it. After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen, since he defended this country. He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal patriot. This will probably deter illegal immigration and provide a solution for the troops in Iraq and the aliens trying to make a better life for themselves. If they refuse to serve, ship them to Iraq anyway, but without the canteen, rifle or ammo. Problem solved."

Ziggy
    wrote on February 14, 2007 12:36 PM:"May be they can use that day (May 1st)to convert their garages back to garages; their front yards back to front yards. It would also be nice for them to keep their radios from blasting throughout the neighborhood or at least keep their windows closed. If none of this applies maybe they could spend the time to learn english, some of the comments show the need."

Patriot wrote on February 14, 2007 12:39 PM:"Every day should be a day without an illegal alien. I searched NCT for an article about Bank of America offering credit cards to people without SSNs in 51 Los Angeles branches. No story. This clearly is not newsworthy because so many corporations are now offering incentives to illegal aliens. They are selling out the American taxpayer to make a buck and then make cash contributions to the race-based La Raza to ensure illegal immigration remains institutionalized."

Latina Grandma wrote on February 14, 2007 12:50 PM:"I hope these activist will pay for the extra police we need. I remember last year we had probably at least 20-30 cars going up and down my street continuously waving flags and screaming. They had people in the back of the truck screaming. I believe it is against the law to be in back of trucks and in cars without seatbelts. It went on for a couple of hours. These appeared to be young adults that more than likely were anchor babies. Then proceeded to go downtown where all Sheriffs were brought in from all over the county. Who paid the bill? Make these people responsible. Hey Quinnie...it worked? I think it made Americans wake up and see what was happening. This is a border town but that does not mean you can come in illegally. I have never seen the Irish waving their flags like that. They are not asking for special privileges, and if they are here "Legally" that is their right as a US citizen. What is it that you do not understand about "Illegal" We are a country of all nationalities and races but the one thing we all have in common is that we are PROUD US citizens! Find something that is worth arguing. "

American citizen wrote on February 14, 2007 12:53 PM:"Go ahead, take the rest of the year off. We don't need or want you here. My son is one of 2 non-latino kids in his class of over 30. How long until our entire infrastucture collapses due to this overwhelming illegal population? "

HEY, ANYONE KNOW?? wrote on February 14, 2007 12:59 PM:"I'd like to know the percentage of illegals that are actually working. Does anyone have that information? Because if most of the illegals are working I wouldn't be renting and paying high taxes and could afford a house of my own. "

Jimbo wrote on February 14, 2007 1:47 PM:"Hey Quinnie, the Irish waving their flag on St Patrick's day is not offensive to Americans because 1) it is not being done as a defiant act to demand that our gov't make further accomadations to those who have broken our laws. 2) It is meant to honor a day that is celebrated by many LEGAL immigrants or their decendants. Just as when the Mexican flag is waved for the same purpose on Cinco de Mayo, nobody is offended. So does that clear it up for you? You can call Americans racist all you want, it won't change a thing. Americans want their tax dollars to go to Americans, not law breakers PERIOD!"

Apacherat wrote on February 14, 2007 2:28 PM:" I for one support another "A Day Without an Illegal Alien." If it turns out like last years attempt to show America what it would be like if all of the illegals weren't here, I remember clearly the last protest. I over slept because I didn't have a weed blower waking me up at the crack of dawn. My normal commute to work that usaly takes an hour took only 15 minutes. I was able to go inside Home Depot and I made my purchase and was out in 5 minutes. Usaly I'm there for an hour. Another day with out illegals is also the perfect time to take care of business at the DMV. And if your unlucky to be involved in a major accident it would be the only day when you will not have to wait for hours at the emergency room at your local hospital. All these protest shows Americans is what California use to be like thirty years ago."

Holiday wrote on February 14, 2007 2:38 PM:" Let's change the day without a Mexican (May 1st) to the Cesar Chavez holiday. Have a free givaway of Tequila & tacos for anyone heading south of the border. Hopefully Mexican's will go south visiting relatives. We can shut down our north bound border and increase security along the fence. Not sure what to offer the Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Just Kiddin! "

Better Yet! wrote on February 14, 2007 2:55 PM:"How about a YEAR without an immigrant. They all go back and after a year, let's see if we really need them. WOW, that should put this argument to bed once and for all."

YES! wrote on February 14, 2007 3:02 PM:"YES! Actually, “A Day Without Immigrants” is a misnomer in this case. It should be called “A Day Without Mexicans”. I don’t remember seeing Chinese, Germans, or Japanese immigrants shouting in-your-face messages in their languages. It was only Mexicans. I don’t remember seeing flags from any other countries being waved, only the Mexican flag. I don’t remember seeing the flag of the U.S.A being disrespected by people from other countries, only Mexicans. I don’t remember local businesses being shut down that are operated by immigrants other than Mexican. I say God bless the Minutemen. They are doing the job our “leaders” in Washington won’t do. It’s time build the fence. "

Have Respect Holiday wrote on February 14, 2007 3:51 PM:"Cesear Chavez was a man to respect. He was against illegal immigration. He fought for the field workers that were here legally no matter what color or race. Read the history about him."

estaban wrote on February 14, 2007 3:53 PM:"Bush is allowing 7000 iraqis in the us. he's gonna give them welfare and health care and I as an american don't have health care . this is a crock . we should not let anyone else in . when is the US gonna learn to take care of their own people. We have homeless people living in shelters and out on the street .. and bush welcomes 7,000 iraqis .???? he don't give a ****** about americans ... Impeach this guy "

To Better yet wrote on February 14, 2007 4:08 PM:"You are confused! We are all immigrants. You are feeding into it. You are just as bad as the Pro-illegals. You need to understand the difference between an illegal and an immigrant. "

Go Ahead wrote on February 14, 2007 4:26 PM:"I hope they have another one. A few of us may have laxed up a little since the last protest. This will restoke the fire already in us."

They just had wrote on February 14, 2007 4:28 PM:"on the drudge report that it was Mexico that demand our two border agents be prosecuted and put in prision. Later the article was taken down but not before it was saved by hundreds of viewers. NTC can you follow up? "

Irish Illegals wrote on February 14, 2007 4:28 PM:"Not to muddy the waters but after reading these blogs I did some research. Apparently there are 50,000 illegal Irish in the US and like the others they are fighting for immigration reform. "

Fine with me. wrote on February 14, 2007 4:32 PM:"No driving behind someone going 1/2 the speed limit cause chances are they don't have a drivers license. Make it a week...no 2 weeks..no worries! Make it all year!"

I am with you wrote on February 14, 2007 4:33 PM:"it is time to impeach Bush and the others"

Skip wrote on February 14, 2007 4:35 PM:"How about a year without ILLEGAL Immigrants. (Illegal Aliens)"

Gary In Murrieta wrote on February 14, 2007 4:39 PM:"I really enjoyed last years May 1, 2006, Day Without Illegal Aliens. I remember it was the first time that I could drive home during the week from San Diego, without ant traffic or slowdown on the freeway. I wish we could do that more often."

Gary In Murrieta wrote on February 14, 2007 4:40 PM:"I really enjoyed last years May 1, 2006, Day Without Illegal Aliens. I remember it was the first time that I could drive home during the week from San Diego, without any traffic or slowdown on the freeway. I wish we could do that more often."

CC wrote on February 14, 2007 4:42 PM:"Low wages in China effects wage earners in Mexico. Mexican business can't compete because of the dirt-low wages in China. This throws Mexicans out of work. Then Mexicans have to come up here to find work. It's no picnic for these folks to have to leave their families and come up here. I saw a presentation on public access cable TV which discussed NAFTA and the effect of free trade on Mexico. Remember how NAFTA was sold to us as the solution to the immigration problem? At the time, Perot disputed the propaganda that NAFTA would help workers in Mexico. And, Perot has been proven to be right. The facts and statistics are in. And, the Mexicans that come up here constantly prove that NAFTA is not working out for them. NAFTA only helps the big multi-national companies make bigger profits. "Free" trade does not benefit workers or the environment. American citizens can be part of the solution by pressing our lawmakers to get to the heart of the problem and address "free" trade. It's time for tariffs on China."

McDad wrote on February 14, 2007 4:45 PM:"Yeah, all those Irish guys standing on the street corners looking for work is quite annoying! "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02 ... ogcomments

Most Commented-On
    Stories This Week

Activists split over new 'Day Without an Immigrant' (81)
    Migrant camp vandalism investigation continues (72)
    Chargers give Marty the boot (54)
    Feud among San Diego Minutemen erupts (49)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/8/2007 (4
    Letters to the Editor - 2/10/2007 (4
    Letters to the Editor - 2/13/2007 (4
    Oceanside residents upset about gang problem (45)
    Drug trafficking No.1 issue for gang task force (44)
    Letters to the Editor - 2/12/2007 (44)

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/

ShockedinCalifornia wrote on February 14, 2007 4:55 PM:"I've been apprehensive about what they will try to do in May again this year. This time I wish there was more formal resistance planned by political, education, and business leaders against this form of rebellion. To voice constituent pressure, I think we should call our school systems and mayors right away to insist they prepare for and pre-condemn any more garbage like this. "

Neese wrote on February 14, 2007 4:56 PM:"I love it. They brought a lot of negative attention to themselves. Maybe they should try it for a week this year...or a month...or a year. "

Beckyal wrote on February 14, 2007 4:57 PM:"Americans welcome legal immigrants infact we bend over backwards to give them a start. Legal immigrants get small business loans before Americans, they get benefits and assistance from the federal government. While I personnally believe that legal immigration should be decreased until we found out what America really needs I believe that most people don't have a problem with legal immigrants, it is the illegal immigrants that people object to. Why must open border, pro-amnesty hid by not realizing the difference."

jean wrote on February 14, 2007 4:58 PM:"Even if they do march it won't look anything like last year. They will be on their best behavior with the proper flags, etc. I will never forget last year, that opened my eyes wider. Living here you'd have to have your eyes completely shut and live in a closet not to know what's happening. "

jean wrote on February 14, 2007 5:08 PM:"I've been listening to John and Ken's show at kfi640 and people have been closing accts at B of A in CA like crazy."

To McDad wrote on February 14, 2007 5:18 PM:" It's those damn little Leprechaun's that make me mad. Running around, chasing rainbows. If you chatch one you get a pot of gold. What do you get if you catch a Mexican?"

LO wrote on February 14, 2007 5:21 PM:"I'm with the 98% above!! Bring it on....and make it last longer than just one day!!! Seal the border build a wall!!! "

Illegal Potporri... wrote on February 14, 2007 5:53 PM:"To all Irish and Canadian illegals - Please come here to San Diego so we can also learn a 3rd and 4th foreign language! (Ok, well I thought it was funny)."

Bank of America's New Credit Card Targets Illegal Immigrants wrote on February 14, 2007 6:05 PM:"Yep I closed my Bank of America Accounts today."

Skip wrote on February 14, 2007 6:06 PM:"WOW I am multi-lingual. I speak Canadian and Irish! I also speak Spanish."

2 Skip wrote on February 14, 2007 6:31 PM:"Me too. I speak, English, Scotish, Irish, Canadian, Australian... "

I agree ! wrote on February 14, 2007 7:04 PM:"I will also close any accounts at Bank of America, and do no more business with that illegal bank. Bush has made a disaster in Iraq. Now he is for open borders, and is creating a disaster for American Citizens. Just a few more reasons why Bush should be impeached before he can do any more damage."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast