Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

California young people boost diversity ?

The population of the United States - and of California - is becoming older on average and also more racially and ethnically diverse. But the folks who are aging are not the same as the ones who are increasing the nation's diversity, according to 2008 population estimates released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The data show two different demographic trends at play: non-Hispanic white people tend to be older - a median age of 41.1 - and their ranks are increasing only slightly. Latinos, meanwhile, are the nation's youngest population group and its fastest growing, at 3.2 percent over the previous year. And nowhere is the trend more pronounced than in California, where whites are older and Latinos are younger than the national averages.

Blacks and Asian Americans, meanwhile, are closer to the median age of the country overall, which is 36.8 years, up 1.5 years since 2000. The Asian population is growing rapidly - 2.7 percent nationally between 2007 and 2008 - while the black population is increasing at half that rate, census figures show.

"California is aging as the rest of the country is, but it's ahead of the curve in diversity and behind the curve in aging, and that's our big advantage," said Dowell Myers, director of the Population Dynamics Research Group at the University of Southern California. "We have a more useful workforce, and we have more young people in school. That costs more money up front, but it will repay huge benefits in 10 years when the rest of the country has few young people."

Almost half of the nation's children under the age of 5 - 47 percent - were minorities, according to the Census Bureau. In California, the majority of the nation's 0-to-4-year-olds have been minorities for a number of years - and more than half today are Latinos.

The Latino boom
    The growth in the state's Latino population is primarily due to births, many of them to immigrant parents, according to David Hayes-Bautista, director of UCLA's Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture, who has studied 65 years' worth of data on Latino health and behavior.

"When Latinos are half of the total population in California, overall people will have fewer heart attacks, cancers and strokes, they'll have healthier babies, live three to four years longer, work harder, work more in the private sector, use welfare less and have stronger families," he said.

The problem, said Hayes-Bautista, is that the state's Latinos have lower rates of high school graduation and college attendance than average, in part because their parents had less schooling.

Education a concern
    "The biggest area of concern for me is the performance of the educational system," he said. "That's what's going to make or break the U.S. economy for the 21st century."

In the Bay Area, the population's growing diversity can be seen in its preschools. At the Lotus Bloom Child and Family Resource Center in Oakland's San Antonio neighborhood, Monday's playgroup takes place in Vietnamese and English, Tuesday's in Chinese and English and Wednesday's in Spanish and English, said director Angela Louie-Howard.

"When we're able to connect to people in their own language and culture, they feel more connected to this place," said Louie-Howard, who opened the center last year to help parents improve their children's readiness for elementary school. "You can't talk to people about deeper issues if you're not making them feel welcome and comfortable."

The Bay Area is one of the state's most diverse regions, with sizable numbers of Asians, Latinos and whites, and a somewhat smaller black population, said Hans Johnson, senior demographer at the Public Policy Institute of California.

Mixing it up
    The number of people who identify as multiracial is also growing, and at a faster rate than any other racial or ethnic group. Almost 1 in 5 of the nation's 5.2 million mixed-race people live in California, and the vast majority of them are children, the census data show.

They include Louie-Howard's daughter, who is half Chinese American and half African American. They also include Heidi Durrow, a writer who grew up with a Danish mother and African American father and now co-hosts a weekly podcast called Mixed Chicks Chat.

"I'm not surprised, and I'm actually excited," said Durrow, who noted that half the kids at her niece's recent birthday party were multiracial. "There are a lot more different kinds of people (in California), so it's probably easier to mix here than in other places."

The estimated U.S. population as of July 1, 2008, was 304 million, of whom 36.8 million lived in California. The state's population is almost 37 percent Latino, 42 percent white, 6 percent black and almost 13 percent Asian, according to the bureau.

E-mail Tyche Hendricks at thendricks@sfchronicle.com.

I'm speechless............ TS

I'm not surprised, and I'm actually excited," said Durrow, who noted that half the kids at her niece's recent birthday party were multiracial. "There are a lot more different kinds of people (in California), so it's probably easier to mix here than in other places."

Well, I'm not excited and I live in Ca and are one of the aged. I want my beautiful state back.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes, and once we get the 47% anchor babies shipped back and deported along with their illegal parents, it will be much BETTER for the U.S. in the long-term!!!!!!

Where is the sourcing and the link on this article ???

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I found it. It's an older article dated in May.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17K1F4.DTL

Young boost diversity as population ages
    Tyche Hendricks, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The population of the United States - and of California - is becoming older on average and also more racially and ethnically diverse. But the folks who are aging are not the same as the ones who are increasing the nation's diversity, according to 2008 population estimates released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.

The data show two different demographic trends at play: non-Hispanic white people tend to be older - a median age of 41.1 - and their ranks are increasing only slightly. Latinos, meanwhile, are the nation's youngest population group and its fastest growing, at 3.2 percent over the previous year. And nowhere is the trend more pronounced than in California, where whites are older and Latinos are younger than the national averages.

Blacks and Asian Americans, meanwhile, are closer to the median age of the country overall, which is 36.8 years, up 1.5 years since 2000. The Asian population is growing rapidly - 2.7 percent nationally between 2007 and 2008 - while the black population is increasing at half that rate, census figures show.

"California is aging as the rest of the country is, but it's ahead of the curve in diversity and behind the curve in aging, and that's our big advantage," said Dowell Myers, director of the Population Dynamics Research Group at the University of Southern California. "We have a more useful workforce, and we have more young people in school. That costs more money up front, but it will repay huge benefits in 10 years when the rest of the country has few young people."

Almost half of the nation's children under the age of 5 - 47 percent - were minorities, according to the Census Bureau. In California, the majority of the nation's 0-to-4-year-olds have been minorities for a number of years - and more than half today are Latinos.

The Latino boom
    The growth in the state's Latino population is primarily due to births, many of them to immigrant parents, according to David Hayes-Bautista, director of UCLA's Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture, who has studied 65 years' worth of data on Latino health and behavior.

"When Latinos are half of the total population in California, overall people will have fewer heart attacks, cancers and strokes, they'll have healthier babies, live three to four years longer, work harder, work more in the private sector, use welfare less and have stronger families," he said.

The problem, said Hayes-Bautista, is that the state's Latinos have lower rates of high school graduation and college attendance than average, in part because their parents had less schooling.

Education a concern
    "The biggest area of concern for me is the performance of the educational system," he said. "That's what's going to make or break the U.S. economy for the 21st century."

In the Bay Area, the population's growing diversity can be seen in its preschools. At the Lotus Bloom Child and Family Resource Center in Oakland's San Antonio neighborhood, Monday's playgroup takes place in Vietnamese and English, Tuesday's in Chinese and English and Wednesday's in Spanish and English, said director Angela Louie-Howard.

"When we're able to connect to people in their own language and culture, they feel more connected to this place," said Louie-Howard, who opened the center last year to help parents improve their children's readiness for elementary school. "You can't talk to people about deeper issues if you're not making them feel welcome and comfortable."

The Bay Area is one of the state's most diverse regions, with sizable numbers of Asians, Latinos and whites, and a somewhat smaller black population, said Hans Johnson, senior demographer at the Public Policy Institute of California.

Mixing it up
    The number of people who identify as multiracial is also growing, and at a faster rate than any other racial or ethnic group. Almost 1 in 5 of the nation's 5.2 million mixed-race people live in California, and the vast majority of them are children, the census data show.

They include Louie-Howard's daughter, who is half Chinese American and half African American. They also include Heidi Durrow, a writer who grew up with a Danish mother and African American father and now co-hosts a weekly podcast called Mixed Chicks Chat.

"I'm not surprised, and I'm actually excited," said Durrow, who noted that half the kids at her niece's recent birthday party were multiracial. "There are a lot more different kinds of people (in California), so it's probably easier to mix here than in other places."

The estimated U.S. population as of July 1, 2008, was 304 million, of whom 36.8 million lived in California. The state's population is almost 37 percent Latino, 42 percent white, 6 percent black and almost 13 percent Asian, according to the bureau.

E-mail Tyche Hendricks at thendricks@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0YJ9GoqOH
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

I wanted to hurl after reading that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned

Previous article

Thanks Johnny... I'm still figuring all this stuff out. TS

care to prove this?

Hey author, care to prove this?

Latino Coalition for A Healthy California
    http://www.lchc.org/about_us/

Latino Coalition for a Healthy California (LCHC) - the only statewide organization with a specific emphasis on Latino

(why not emphasize total health for every race?)health

- was founded in 1992 by health care providers, consumers and advocates to impact Latino health

(why not everyone's health?)

through enhanced information, policy development and community involvement. Since then, the Latino Coalition for a Healthy California has positioned itself to meet the primary goal of its mission: "To develop and support policies, services and conditions that will improve the health of Latinos."

(why not everyone?

LCHC accomplishes this by addressing

inequities

you mean free emergency room care for illegals? that has caused 88 hospitals in Cal to close their doors? You are right, there are inequalities, and the way I see it, Latinos get BETTER health care than any other race. You people just go to an emergency room because you know you can get free health care. I can't do that. If I go to an emergency room and don't pay my bills, my credit sinks.

in quality of health care; building advocacy for high quality, culturally sensitive, and linguistically appropriate

you mean in Spanish, why not learn English?

health care and prevention services; informing the public to make choices that favor better health outcomes; and empowering communities to fully participate in health planning, implementation, evaluation, and advocacy.

BECAUSE YOU ARE RACISTS

Banned
    jonhaloi I'm on your side... This article makes me sick... Putting It out there to show the type of Idiots that we are up against,or were you talking about the newspaper author ? TS

April
    Check out how good illegal immigration has been for LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJQT9tCKHU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast