Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emerg

Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emergencies
    David Pugliese , Canwest News Service
    Published: Friday, February 22, 2008

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each other's borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Neither the Canadian government nor the Canadian Forces announced the new agreement, which was signed Feb. 14 in Texas.

The U.S. military's Northern Command, however, publicized the agreement with a statement outlining how its top officer, Gen. Gene Renuart, and Canadian Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, head of Canada Command, signed the plan, which allows the military from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a civil emergency.
    American soldiers arrive on board the HMCS TORONTO as part of a training exercise in carrying out a NATO presence patrol in the Indian Ocean near Somalia. A new agreement between the U.S. and Canadian militaries has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S.
    American soldiers arrive on board the HMCS TORONTO as part of a training exercise in carrying out a NATO presence patrol in the Indian Ocean near Somalia. A new agreement between the U.S. and Canadian militaries has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S.

The new agreement has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S.

The left-leaning Council of Canadians, which is campaigning against what it calls the increasing integration of the U.S. and Canadian militaries, is raising concerns about the deal.

"It's kind of a trend when it comes to issues of Canada-U.S. relations and contentious issues like military integration. We see that this government is reluctant to disclose information to Canadians that is readily available on American and Mexican websites," said Stuart Trew, a researcher with the Council of Canadians.

Trew said there is potential for the agreement to militarize civilian responses to emergency incidents. He noted that work is also underway for the two nations to put in place a joint plan to protect common infrastructure such as roadways and oil pipelines.

"Are we going to see (U.S.) troops on our soil for minor potential threats to a pipeline or a road?" he asked.

Trew also noted the U.S. military does not allow its soldiers to operate under foreign command so there are questions about who controls American forces if they are requested for service in Canada. "We don't know the answers because the government doesn't want to even announce the plan," he said.

But Canada Command spokesman Commander David Scanlon said it will be up to civilian authorities in both countries on whether military assistance is requested or even used.

He said the agreement is "benign" and simply sets the stage for military-to-military co-operation if the governments approve.

"But there's no agreement to allow troops to come in," he said. "It facilitates planning and co-ordination between the two militaries. The 'allow' piece is entirely up to the two governments."

If U.S. forces were to come into Canada they would be under tactical control of the Canadian Forces but still under the command of the U.S. military, Scanlon added.

News of the deal, and the allegation it was kept secret in Canada, is already making the rounds on left-wing blogs and Internet sites as an example of the dangers of the growing integration between the two militaries.

On right-wing blogs in the U.S. it is being used as evidence of a plan for a "North American union" where foreign troops, not bound by U.S. laws, could be used by the American federal government to override local authorities.

"Co-operative militaries on Home Soil!" notes one website. "The next time your town has a 'national emergency,' don't be surprised if Canadian soldiers respond. And remember - Canadian military aren't bound by posse comitatus."

Posse comitatus is a U.S. law that prohibits the use of federal troops from conducting law enforcement duties on domestic soil unless approved by Congress.

Scanlon said there was no intent to keep the agreement secret on the Canadian side of the border. He noted it will be reported on in the Canadian Forces newspaper next week and that publication will be put on the Internet.

Scanlon said the actual agreement hasn't been released to the public as that requires approval from both nations. That decision has not yet been taken, he added.

http://www.canada.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    The corruption picks up speed under the guise of good will..... come on.

Will the corruption of this President never cease

Will the American People wake up from they're Self Imposed Prescription Drug Medication to actually see what is going on

Tune in Next Week: Same Bat Time; Same Bat Channel
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So which is it?

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each other's borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.
    or

Scanlon said the actual agreement hasn't been released to the public as that requires approval from both nations. That decision has not yet been taken, he added.
    Signed but needs approval? Who's approval if the signers aren't enough? This smells fishy!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jean they signed it, but they have not agreed to release it to the agreement to the public. This paper did it without an an agreement.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Co-operative militaries on Home Soil!" notes one website. "The next time your town has a 'national emergency,' don't be surprised if Canadian soldiers respond. And remember - Canadian military aren't bound by posse comitatus."
    Wonderful! I would like to put my request in now for ten thousand Canadian Troops along our souther border.

Oh and Canada. Get used to it! This is how governments operate now. Under the cover of darkness and passing law without the input or blessing of those citizens who put these traitors into office!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It looks like Canada and the U.S. are right on time for the NAU takeover. I wonder when Mexico is going to join in. JUST THE THOUGHT OF THE MEXICAN MILITARY HAVING THE PRIVLEDGE TO COME INTO AMERICA MAKES ME SICK.

President Bush is destroying America. We will be left a choice of which presidential candidate will FINISH us off.

AND NOT ONE ORDINARY AMERICAN CITIZEN had any say in this "military deal".
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This seems like an extreme violation of our constitution.

I was thinking about this today. If the Canadian military were here on U.S. soil, I had to ask myself, then where is the U.S. military? I'm thinking they could be away fighting a war or even more than one war, we could be in a couple of different regions, at the same time, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Then I thought about how many people have entered the U.S., most of them hopefully for the right reasons....but how many are here as sleeper terrorists or how many are not really loyal to the U.S. and perhaps could become sympathizers to some of the countries which they came from at a time of war?

I'm wondering if that is the purpose of this backup plan of allowing Canadian soldiers to be on U.S. soil in the event of such a situation where the American people were placed in extreme danger here at home, with the majority of our military deployed in other places.

Maybe these camps are to put people in who could be enemies of the USA who are in the USA or for people who might refuse to cooperate with authorities in an emergency of this type. Maybe even to house people who get sick from a disease or something brought in by terrorists or all of the above.

I wasn't able to write as clearly as I thought this out today as I'm sort of rushing right now, however I wonder if there could be any truth to these possibilities.

Maybe they are laying down the ground work in the event of circumstances we rarely think about let alone could imagine....maybe in the event of extreme or extraordinary war related situations which although hard to imagine could actually happen.

I mean what if terrorists hit us with more than one attack or several attacks at once and our military was immediately deployed. MAYBE these are contigency plans for the worst possible scenarios.

Maybe terrorists could be in Canada as well and we would need to put special forces up there with the Canadian military working together.

I came up with quite a few scenarios.

It is a back up plan in case Americans start doing massive protests or their is civil unrest. It is hard for an American solider to do what he is trained to do on an American but the Canadian Soldier holds no allegiance to this country and would not hold back.