Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cases against immigrants multiply

Cases against immigrants multiply
    THEY NOW MAKE UP HALF U.S. CASELOAD
    By Nicole Gaouette
    Los Angeles Times
    Article Launched: 06/18/2008 01:31:54 AM PDT

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has sharply ratcheted up prosecutions of illegal immigrants along the U.S.-Mexico border in the past year, with increases so dramatic that immigration offenses now account for as much as half of the nation's federal criminal caseload.

In the widening crackdown, administration officials prosecuted 9,350 illegal immigrants on federal criminal charges in March 2008, a 73 percent increase over prosecutions last year and an all-time high, according to statistics released Tuesday. Convicted people have received jail sentences averaging about one month.

The prosecutions are among the most visible steps in a larger effort that includes work site raids, increased border patrols and the use of technology and fences. Often controversial, the patchwork of measures represents the administration's response to failed congressional attempts last summer to overhaul federal laws.

Administration officials and conservative groups have lauded the surge in prosecutions. But critics say data shows illegal immigrants still are trying to enter the country. Some attorneys contend that the push to criminalize illegal immigrants is overwhelming a federal court system with limited resources and higher priorities.

The statistical analysis released Tuesday was compiled by Syracuse University's Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, considered an authoritative source for such figures, which called the increase "highly unusual."

Of 16,298 federal criminal prosecutions recorded nationwide in March 2008, immigration accounted for more than half, the analysis found. The next highest number of prosecutions were for drug offenses at 2,674, followed by 702 prosecutions for white-collar crime.

California is not formally a part the border crackdown, officially known as Operation Streamline. But prosecutions of people who smuggle illegal immigrants into the country along the California border have increased sharply in the past five years, nearly doubling to 118 cases in March.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_ ... ck_check=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    In the widening crackdown, administration officials prosecuted 9,350 illegal immigrants on federal criminal charges in March 2008, a 73 percent increase over prosecutions last year and an all-time high, according to statistics released Tuesday.
    I wonder if the 08/07 resignation of U.S. Attorney General Gonzales and the increase in illegal alien prosecutions are related?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    In the widening crackdown, administration officials prosecuted 9,350 illegal immigrants on federal criminal charges in March 2008, a 73 percent increase over prosecutions last year and an all-time high, according to statistics released Tuesday.
    I wonder if the 08/07 resignation of U.S. Attorney General Gonzales and the increase in illegal alien prosecutions are related?
    Very well could be!!

>>ACTION ALERT 6/18<<
    It's D-day in NC so lets help the boots on the ground!!
    We need calls from those who can not attend the "RALLY IN RALEIGH"
    PLEASE TAKE ACTION IN NORTH CAROLINA
    INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-119822.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Does cali ever do anything about our problems or just reward the bad?
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Operation Streamlineâ€

Also see full TRAC report where most of the news services are getting their info. http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/188/

Also, see summary at Fed’s “Operation Streamlineâ€
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MW

By George, I think you're on to something! He was such a traitor!

I can't forget the unbelieveable comments Gonzo had when he was visiting his amigo, Antonio Villaraigosa in L.A. last year..."Gang members are just good kids who got a bad break"!!!