Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

There is no word when the measure will take effect.

Local news this morning said it would take effect in January.

Looking for confirmation
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Banned
    Yipee!!!

For their part, commissioners said they know the county will likely be sued and that taxpayers will incur costs, but that it's worth it.
    When I wrote to them the other day, I specifically addressed this concern, so it's interesting to see this comment.

Team, I think we really made a difference here! This is very gratifying.

Cherokee to target landlords who rent to illegals
    by The Associated Press

CANTON - Cherokee County officials unanimously approved a new crackdown on illegal immigrants Tuesday designed to force landlords to check the immigration status of their tenants.

Immigrant groups vowed to battle the plan in court and blasted the commission's decision to ban critics from speaking against the proposal during the 2-hour meeting.

The fast-growing north Georgia county's measure would suspend the business licenses of property owners who house illegals, barring them from collecting rent until they submit a sworn affidavit explaining how each violation has been corrected.

Those that don't comply when the measure takes effect Jan. 1, 2007 could be fined.

The vote capped a lengthy session in which commissioners also unanimously decided to make English the county's official language and agreed to join two federal programs designed to target illegals.

The Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials immediately pledged to launch a legal fight against the landlord measure and accused commissioners of ``trampling immigrant rights.''

``The county will have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend it,'' said Jerry Gonzalez, the group's director.

Gonzalez and other critics who tried to speak against the measure before the vote were silenced by commissioners who said a public hearing on the matter was held two weeks ago.

``We have a pretty busy schedule tonight,'' said Commissioner Karen Mahurin. ``We have rules to this meeting and I'd like for them to be upheld.''

The county elders spent more time bickering about zoning regulations and development proposals than they did debating the immigration restrictions, which were passed after a few minutes of discussion. Residents seemed more concerned with a controversial housing plan also up for debate Tuesday as hundreds sought to attend a noisy zoning meeting that took place a few minutes after the immigration vote.

Commissioners said the landlord restrictions would reduce the strain on schools and other resources in Cherokee, a booming county about 30 miles north of Atlanta. They seemed unfazed by the likely legal battle that awaits.

``We have been advised by counsel that the risk is what I would call moderate,'' said Commissioner Harry B. Johnston. ``I think the people of Cherokee would be willing to accept that.''

Some 7.6 percent of Cherokee's residents are Hispanic or Latino, according to 2004 U.S. Census data. But Commissioner Derek Good said the number of illegals is much higher and contended that 22 percent of the inmates in the county jail came to the country illegally.

Cherokee's move is an example of a local government taking its own step to handle immigration issues. Georgia earlier this year approved a wide-ranging crackdown on illegal immigrants, and cities in Texas, California and Pennsylvania have enacted laws to punish landlords who rent to illegal immigrants.

English is now the official language of Taneytown, a Maryland town of 5,000 and Pahrump, a fast-growing Nevada community 60 miles down a two-lane road from Las Vegas. Last month, voters approved a measure making English the official language of Arizona.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Another one for our side. Yipee! Great job everyone.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

2ndamendsis

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    WELCOME - SOFFIA!

You have a great sense of humor

thanks for the welcome and my sense of humor.....
    I'm not willing to let Mexico have a party? tell me? I have no choice in who can come, who can't and then send me the bill

Re: Cherokee Co. - Illegal Immigrant Measure Passed

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=88657

Dec 5, 2006
    Illegal Immigrant Measure Passed
    Cherokee County Commissioners unanimously passed a measure Tuesday night

Debbie Seagraves, the head of the ACLU of Georgia, says the Commissioners violated residents' First Amendment Rights by refusing to let anyone speak on either issue.

"They trampled all over immigrants tonight, it was spin the wheel on immigrant bashing in Cherokee County," said Jerry Gonzalez, Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials.

yaaa!!!! tell deb and jer....if they don't like it ...SUE US....THE ONES PAYING THE BILLS.....
    I'm not willing to let Mexico have a party? tell me? I have no choice in who can come, who can't and then send me the bill

YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It just gripes my butt when they spin this to say "it will hurt the immigrants"...
    NO IT WONT< NOW HEAR THIS !!!!!!!!!!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL BE AFFECTED, THOSE THAT ARE HERE LEGALLY WILL HAVE NO WORRIES!!!!

WHY CANT THEY UNDERSTAND THAT?

sorry didnt mean to yell

YES I DID! BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT LISTENING.

IF YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALLY YOU ARE NOT WANTED
    now how hard is THAT to understand?

vix

guess the other post didnt quite do it, so changed immigrants to aliens in this one...

vix

NOW HEAR THIS !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vixfromPahrump
    YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It just gripes my butt when they spin this to say "it will hurt the immigrants"...
    NO IT WONT< NOW HEAR THIS !!!!!!!!!!
    ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL BE AFFECTED, THOSE THAT ARE HERE LEGALLY WILL HAVE NO WORRIES!!!!

sorry didnt mean to yell

YES I DID! BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT LISTENING.

vix
    they aren't illegal immigrants....there is no such thing.... vix
    THEY ARE ILLEGAL ALIENS......YELL ALL YOU WANT TO....I DO ON THIS SUBJECT.... ALL THE TIME....THEY KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, THEY HEAR...BUT THEY THINK IF THEY USE ANY PART OF THE IMMIGRATION SPEECH OR WORDS THAT GIVES THEM A PLATFORM...SO LET US NOT ALLOW THEM A PLATFORM FOR THEIR ILLGAL-NESS.....

Yep, you are right, sorry, get all messed up sometimes when I am yelling!

ILLEGAL ALIENS GET OUT!
    YOU ARE NOT WELCOME!

If you want to come here and live, have a better life, do it the same way EVERYONE ELSE WHO CAME HERE LEGALLY DID!
    GO THRU THE PROPER CHANNELS!!!!

and I dont care if it takes you five months, five years or five decades!!!!!

NO ONE gets in by sneaking under the fence or whatever.

WE DONT WANT YOU HERE!!!!!!!!

vix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast