Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cintas warned against firing immigrant force

By Jerry Seper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    November 28, 2006

A Mississippi Democrat in line to become chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee has warned the nation's largest uniform supplier it faces criminal charges if it follows a White House proposal to recheck workers with mismatched Social Security numbers and fire those who cannot resolve the discrepancy in 60 days.

Rep. Bennie Thompson said in a letter to Cintas Corp. it could be charged with "illegal activities in violation of state and federal law" if any of its 32,000 employees are terminated because they gave incorrect Social Security numbers to be hired.

"I am deeply troubled by Cintas' recent policy change regarding the Social Security Administration's 'no match' letters," Mr. Thompson said in the Nov. 2 letter. "It is my understanding that hundreds of Cintas' immigrant workers have received these letters. I am extremely concerned about any potentially discriminatory actions targeting this community."

In June, President Bush proposed new guidelines concerning "no-match" letters from the Social Security Administration, saying he wanted to make it easier for employers to verify workers' eligibility and continue to hold them accountable for those they hire.

The Department of Homeland Security followed up on that announcement yesterday, formally releasing new regulations to help businesses comply with hiring requirements intended to reduce the hiring of illegal aliens -- including setting guidelines for businesses when handling "no-match" letters from the Social Security Administration.

The proposed regulation is subject to a 60-day public comment period.

"Most businesses want to do the right thing when it comes to employing legal workers," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. "These new regulations will give U.S. businesses the necessary tools to increase the likelihood that they are employing workers consistent with our laws.

"They also help us to identify and prosecute employers who are blatantly abusing our immigration system."

But Mr. Thompson called the "no-match" letters a threat to workers who fail to reverify their information and called Cintas' actions a "rash enactment of a proposed DHS regulation." He said that by implementing "this incomplete regulation," Cintas could be in violation of federal immigration law.

The seven-term congressman also said before the proposal becomes law, it must go through a rule-making process, "which could radically change the regulation or kill it all together."

Cintas has issued letters to 400 employees in five states telling them they will be indefinitely suspended if they cannot resolve their mismatched Social Security number within 60 days.

"Cintas, like all employers, has a legal obligation to ensure all employees are legally authorized to work in the U.S.," the firm said in a statement. "Cintas has not terminated any employees due to the Social Security mismatches and plans to continue its policy of placing these employees on indefinite leave until they produce the required documentation."

In his letter, Mr. Thompson said his "apprehension" over the proposed policy was echoed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which said the proposal could result in "circumstances in which employers have incentives to take actions that violate ... non-discriminatory provisions."

As Homeland Security Committee chairman, he would set the panel's agenda. Earlier this month, he also said Democrats planned to "revisit" legislation mandating 698 miles of fencing on the U.S.-Mexico border and might seek to scrap the plan.

Under existing rules, when a Social Security number does not match a name on a tax or employment eligibility document, the government sends a "no-match" letter asking that the discrepancy be resolved. Of 250 million wage reports the government receives each year, as many as 10 percent belong to employees whose names do not match their Social Security numbers.

"Identifying businesses that are habitually flagged for submitting mismatched Social Security numbers would bolster our worksite enforcement efforts," Mr. Chertoff said.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061 ... -2961r.htm
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I think that Mr. Thompson is advocating breaking the law and should be "scraped" from the committee if not the house.
    I would like to know if the government is sanctioning the use of my identification and social security number by a thief that is illegally here from another country.
    It makes me feel as though the government views my rights as negotiable for the greater good of business and citizens from another country.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Liberal Idiocy

"I am deeply troubled by Cintas' recent policy change regarding the Social Security Administration's 'no match' letters," Mr. Thompson said in the Nov. 2 letter. "It is my understanding that hundreds of Cintas' immigrant workers have received these letters. I am extremely concerned about any potentially discriminatory actions targeting this community."

It's now an act of discrimination to target "this community" of criminals?

Yeah, great community. Thompson, you deserve a child molesting, drunk driving, many-times-deported illegal alien for a son in law.

What an outrage! Benny Thompson is a traitor in the first degree!
    I guess he doesn't have friends and relatives who were killed by illegal aliens (like so many of us have), and I'd bet he doesn't have any illegals in his fine neighborhood.

Have you seen his website? On his page for constituent services is an entire section for immigration. It also mentions on one page that Thompson sees himself as "the voice for the voiceless". I guess that means he'll represent criminals also.

http://benniethompson.house.gov/HoR/MS0 ... +Services/
    "Remember the Alamo!"

MW
    Email Rep. Thompson and let him know how you feel in regards to border security, illegal immigration, and his efforts at undermining this country's rule of law!

Direct email link:

http://benniethompson.house.gov/HoR/MS0 ... Bennie.htm

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Rep. Bennie Thompson said in a letter to Cintas Corp. it could be charged with "illegal activities in violation of state and federal law" if any of its 32,000 employees are terminated BECAUSE THEY GAVE INCORRECT SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS to be hired.
    Unbelieveable! This elected official is advocating criminal activity and threatening those who would seek to crack down on this! This man needs to be removed from this committee and office.

Wow - I can see the Democrats are getting off to a good start!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krazynbama
    Have you seen his website? On his page for constituent services is an entire section for immigration. It also mentions on one page that Thompson sees himself as "the voice for the voiceless". I guess that means he'll represent criminals also.

http://benniethompson.house.gov/HoR/MS0 ... +Services/
    Ah, I see. One look at the website clarifies everything. Remember that Marion Barry's constituents re-elected him after he was caught on tape and convicted of smoking crack with hookers. The law means less than nothing in some quarters...

Unbelievable. Mr. Thompson has 'warned' Cintas for following the law?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

CrocketsGhost writes

Ah, I see. One look at the website clarifies everything. Remember that Marion Barry's constituents re-elected him after he was caught on tape and convicted of smoking crack with hookers. The law means less than nothing in some quarters...
    Yes ... the law means less than nothing in the quarters of the American White House starting with Bush and Cheney who let these people in and have deliberately allowed them to remain.

One can hardly blame a Congressman from Mississippi for simply following the position of the White House Leadership.

After all the White House and Executive Branch actually control immigration enforcement not the US Congress.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast