Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Council opposes controversial immigration measure

Council opposes controversial immigration measure
    Summit County hopes start date for Senate Bill 81 gets pushed back
    Patrick Parkinson, Of the Record staff
    Posted: 02/06/2009 04:29:56 PM MST

The Summit County Council opposes sweeping immigration reforms passed by state lawmakers that will cross-deputize police officers as immigration agents if they take effect in July.
    The council passed a resolution Wednesday in support of two bills that would delay the implementation of Senate Bill 81, which the Legislature approved in 2008.

"Senate Bill 81, in my opinion, moves law enforcement back probably 30 years or 40 years," Summit County Councilman David Ure said. "Law enforcement, under this new law, will become immigration officers."

SB 81 is a "very mean and vindictive bill," Ure said, adding that, "it will destroy lots of families."

The law could require government employers register to use a system that verifies the work status of new employees. It also could require governmental entities to verify the immigration status of people who apply for state or local benefits. Local law enforcement would begin aggressively enforcing immigration laws by detaining people living in their communities illegally under SB 81.

But the cost to sheriff's offices to implement these new procedures is high, said state Rep. Christine Johnson, a Salt Lake City Democrat who represents the Snyderville Basin.

HB 107 would stop the new law from taking effect until July 2010, as the impact illegal immigrants have on Utah's economy is studied. The study would identify costs incurred last year by state government providing goods and services to illegal immigrants, focusing primarily on education, health care, law enforcement and incarceration costs.

The bill would appropriate $150,000 to also identify taxes and fees illegal immigrants pay to state and local governments.

Meanwhile, SB 113 would also stop SB 81 from taking effect until July 2010.

Summit County is tightening its belt and cannot afford to pay deputies to enforce laws the federal government should oversee, Summit County Councilwoman Sally Elliott said.

"I fully intend not to allow Senate Bill 81 to take effect this year," said Ure, a former state representative.

Still, polls show nearly 80 percent of Utahns support the swift implementation of Senate Bill 81, said Alex Segura, founder of the Utah Minuteman Project.

"I think the public sentiment is changing," Ure countered. "People are now realizing what this bill might do."

Ure said he will also help defeat legislation that would tighten a law that makes resident tuition rates at state colleges and universities available to illegal immigrants who are high school graduates in Utah.

The bill would require the undocumented students sign affidavits each semester promising they haven't worked in the U.S. illegally by using fraudulent documents to get jobs.

The Legislature has approved a resolution that proposes a state-run guest worker program in Utah. The measure asks Congress to grant waivers to Utah to establish an employer-sponsored work program to address illegal immigration in the state by allowing immigrants temporary legal residency.

Taxes withheld from the workers' paychecks will go toward funding the program, the measure states.http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_11646917?s ... ost_viewed
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These crooks in these states are all going after so called resolutions to try to get congress to let them have state guest worker programs...they won't enforce the laws because that is a federal problem but they are sure going out of their way trying to get guest worker programs that they would never be able to control....WHAT A JOKE!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

This just reinforces my opinion that any public official should be subjected to some psychological examination before being voted on. "Mean and vindictive...destroying families," Mr. Ure? What about the destruction of the American families of your communities. Or is this because the Mormon Church is also beginning to lose members?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    SB 81 is a "very mean and vindictive bill," Ure said, adding that, "it will destroy lots of families."

The law could require government employers register to use a system that verifies the work status of new employees. It also could require governmental entities to verify the immigration status of people who apply for state or local benefits. Local law enforcement would begin aggressively enforcing immigration laws by detaining people living in their communities illegally under SB 81

Ignorant , arrogant , and just who is in Charge ?
    The People Are . Citizens of the U.S.A .
    Not Moron Special interest Traitors .
    Give Them Hell Utah , Your neighbor to the South is Cheering for and Counting on You .
    If more State and local law Enforcement Get on Track .
    Things start looking Much Better .
    Enforcement NOW .

I can't believe that a couple of rogue people can have that much control after the people have spoken? Sounds like Pelosi and Reid.

Today is a sad, and bad day. There's just so much rammed down our throats by The Kenyan and the Bobsie Twins. There's good too, small wins and gains, but the bad seems to be 4 to 1 lately.

You read about Al Franken not paying his taxes since like 2002? He owes $50,000! Plus some other fines . . ..

I'd also like to apologize for the traitor to the party, Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe. Something happened to both of them about 7 years ago. I'm thinking it's menopause! I can't tell you the other things I think about them. Before this abomination I dealt with them backing our awful Governor BaldArchie. I mean shouldn't ther be a test to be a Republican?. No one has to be totally in on all (R) issues but don't you have to have some similiar views? I think abortion is their one (R) issue.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris