Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Death Threats Issued in NJ Deportation Case

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXkz
    Death threats sent in immigration case

Friday, March 4, 2005
    By KIBRET MARKOS
    STAFF WRITER

A former detainee at the Bergen County Jail sent death threats this week to an assistant prosecutor, an immigration judge and two local lawyers, blaming them for his deportation to Egypt.

In broken English, 58-year-old Nabil Elgendy vowed a "dead fight" in which "everything will be used including weapons."

Elgendy was arrested in New York City shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, and transferred to the Bergen County Jail pending removal. A few months later, the 6-foot-4, 205-pound welder was charged with assaulting four corrections officers who authorities said were trying to stop him from backing up a toilet to flood his cell.

Elgendy, in turn, filed a civil-rights lawsuit in federal court against the four officers, saying they assaulted him and left him with 50 stitches.

While both the criminal and civil cases were pending, the federal government deported Elgendy in November 2004.

In a hand-written letter mailed from Egypt, Elgendy promised that "we have a long way to go."

"I will not allow some cowards and crooks to destroy my life and my family and then run," he wrote in the letter, copies of which were supplied to The Record by two of the recipients.

Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Newark, said Thursday that the letter was being reviewed. It was too early to tell whether there would be an investigation, he said.

First to receive the letter was James Patuto, a Hackensack lawyer who represented two of the corrections officers.

"I am concerned because Mr. Elgendy has shown himself to be violent in the past," Patuto said Thursday.

Joseph DiMaria, the lawyer for two other corrections officers, received the same letter on Wednesday.

"He sounds like he's angry and he wants to shoot and bomb people," DiMaria said.

Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Thonus, who handled Elgendy's indictment on charges of assaulting the officers, got his copy Thursday.

Elgendy had written harshly worded letters before, Thonus said, but none as direct.

Elgendy named Immigration Judge Alan Vomacka, sitting in New York, as one of his targets for "anything to happen in the future."

He also threatened violence against Americans in Egypt.

"Don't forget there is a lot of American business down here ... including the American workers and the tourist[s]," Elgendy wrote. "I am not going down by myself."

That part was the most disturbing, said Thonus, Patuto and DiMaria.

"My deepest concern is as to what actions Mr. Elgendy might take in his country," Thonus said. "You are dealing with a direct threat against Americans and American interests abroad. This should be taken seriously."

Thonus said he has notified the FBI. Patuto and DiMaria said they, too, have forwarded their copies to federal authorities, asking them to investigate Elgendy.

Thonus said Elgendy was deported because he was in the country illegally.

The New York-based Coalition for the Human Rights of Immigrants said, however, that Elgendy had a green card and an adult son by an American wife. In an alert released in May 2002, the coalition said a judge ordered Elgendy's deportation based on two misdemeanor convictions.

Elgendy admitted in court papers that he has served up to 45 days in jail at different times for a dozen misdemeanor convictions for petty theft and larceny. Elgendy represented himself in the federal lawsuit and fired his court-appointed lawyer in the criminal case.

Benjamin Feldman, spokesman for the Bergen County Sheriff's Department, said Elgendy has sent letters before to county officials.

"But the department is not going to be intimidated by the threats of a man who is attempting to extract money from the pockets of taxpayers," he said.

E-mail: markos@northjersey.com
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Death Threats Issued in NJ Deportation Case

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXkz
    Death threats sent in immigration case

Friday, March 4, 2005
    By KIBRET MARKOS
    STAFF WRITER

A former detainee at the Bergen County Jail sent death threats this week to an assistant prosecutor, an immigration judge and two local lawyers, blaming them for his deportation to Egypt.

In broken English, 58-year-old Nabil Elgendy vowed a "dead fight" in which "everything will be used including weapons."

Elgendy was arrested in New York City shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, and transferred to the Bergen County Jail pending removal. A few months later, the 6-foot-4, 205-pound welder was charged with assaulting four corrections officers who authorities said were trying to stop him from backing up a toilet to flood his cell.

Elgendy, in turn, filed a civil-rights lawsuit in federal court against the four officers, saying they assaulted him and left him with 50 stitches.

While both the criminal and civil cases were pending, the federal government deported Elgendy in November 2004.

In a hand-written letter mailed from Egypt, Elgendy promised that "we have a long way to go."

"I will not allow some cowards and crooks to destroy my life and my family and then run," he wrote in the letter, copies of which were supplied to The Record by two of the recipients.

Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Newark, said Thursday that the letter was being reviewed. It was too early to tell whether there would be an investigation, he said.

First to receive the letter was James Patuto, a Hackensack lawyer who represented two of the corrections officers.

"I am concerned because Mr. Elgendy has shown himself to be violent in the past," Patuto said Thursday.

Joseph DiMaria, the lawyer for two other corrections officers, received the same letter on Wednesday.

"He sounds like he's angry and he wants to shoot and bomb people," DiMaria said.

Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Thonus, who handled Elgendy's indictment on charges of assaulting the officers, got his copy Thursday.

Elgendy had written harshly worded letters before, Thonus said, but none as direct.

Elgendy named Immigration Judge Alan Vomacka, sitting in New York, as one of his targets for "anything to happen in the future."

He also threatened violence against Americans in Egypt.

"Don't forget there is a lot of American business down here ... including the American workers and the tourist[s]," Elgendy wrote. "I am not going down by myself."

That part was the most disturbing, said Thonus, Patuto and DiMaria.

"My deepest concern is as to what actions Mr. Elgendy might take in his country," Thonus said. "You are dealing with a direct threat against Americans and American interests abroad. This should be taken seriously."

Thonus said he has notified the FBI. Patuto and DiMaria said they, too, have forwarded their copies to federal authorities, asking them to investigate Elgendy.

Thonus said Elgendy was deported because he was in the country illegally.

The New York-based Coalition for the Human Rights of Immigrants said, however, that Elgendy had a green card and an adult son by an American wife. In an alert released in May 2002, the coalition said a judge ordered Elgendy's deportation based on two misdemeanor convictions.

Elgendy admitted in court papers that he has served up to 45 days in jail at different times for a dozen misdemeanor convictions for petty theft and larceny. Elgendy represented himself in the federal lawsuit and fired his court-appointed lawyer in the criminal case.

Benjamin Feldman, spokesman for the Bergen County Sheriff's Department, said Elgendy has sent letters before to county officials.

"But the department is not going to be intimidated by the threats of a man who is attempting to extract money from the pockets of taxpayers," he said.

E-mail: markos@northjersey.com
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan