Delph: Lawsuits add to a growing list of reasons why Indiana needs action on illegal immigration

Right Vision News
March 13, 2011
STATE HOUSE, IN

The State Of Indiana has issued following press release:

Recent filings of two lawsuits by the Indiana Attorney General's office against business exploiting individuals seeking immigration assistance add to a growing list of examples for the need of illegal immigration reform, said Sen. Mike Delph (R-Carmel).

"I find it absolutely appalling that these two individuals were taking advantage of immigrants who were trying to become legal in our country and I commend the Indiana Attorney General's office for taking action," Delph said.

"Even more troubling though, is the continued belief by some state and local officials that illegal immigration is completely a federal issue when Hoosier taxpayers are having to cover the costs of these lawsuits."

Named as defendants in the lawsuits, the United Hispanic Caring Hearts in Fort Wayne and the Mexican Civic Association of Indiana in Indianapolis were offering immigration-related services to Spanish-speaking clients, but neither were licensed to practice law or legally trained and certified to provide professional advice to clients on immigration law.

"This event, again, strongly underscores the cost of illegal immigration to our state and its legal residents. It also shows the need for authorities on all levels - including state and local governments - to work together in fighting it," Delph said.

Delph's bill, which passed the Senate and is now before the House of Representatives, will allow law enforcement who stop, detain or arrest anyone for violating a law or ordinance to ask for proof the person is here legally if the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe otherwise.

Senate Bill 590 will provide law enforcement with the tools and training necessary to identify individuals in the state illegally and transfer them to federal custody. It would establish severe penalties for someone who knowingly or intentionally transports, conceals, harbors or shields from detection an illegal immigrant for commercial or private financial gain.

A recent article in The Indianapolis Star reported how Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller joined a group of business, religious and university leaders in supporting an "Indiana Compact" which states immigration "is a federal policy issue between the U.S. government and other countries - not Indiana and other countries."

"I believe these lawsuits, like last week's arrest of at least five illegal immigrants for drug-trafficking in Marion County, are just a few of the many examples out there where Hoosiers are carrying the burden of illegal immigration," Delph said.

"What you have with illegal immigration is an underground world that is allowed to take root with very real costs and consequences. Yet some state and local officials say my bill would be a waste of time. They need to realize that it will take cooperation from authorities at all levels to put a stop to illegal immigration and the very real damage it is doing."

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 75&start=2