http://www.dallasnews.com

DiscussLive transcript: Alfredo Corchado on the Mexico-U.S. border

02:53 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

moderator: Welcome to our chat. Dallas Morning News Mexico City reporter Alfredo Corchado will be joining us shortly.
Bienvenidos a nuestro cuarto de charla. El corresponsal en México de The Dallas Morning News, Alfredo Corchado se nos unirá en breve.

Traveler: Is the danger of kidnapping, violence and police corruption a problem for law-abiding citizens? Or is it more a matter of the "bad guys" shooting at each other?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: In general, drug traffickers target each other and leave civilians alone. However, there have beeen situations where stray bullets have injured innocent civilians. So you need to be careful. In most cases, tourist areas along the border have been left alone and Americans tourists still come and go to do their shopping, eat out, visit friends or buy their prescriptions.

Traveler: Is the danger of violence, kidnap in areas other than the border? As a U.S. traveler, should I avoid Mexico entirely?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Yes, kidnapping is a serious issue in other cities, particularly Mexico City. But I wouldn't avoid Mexico entirely. I would be more careful. It's almost the same as taking extra steps when you step into a questionable neighborhood. You're more careful than usual. Also, before traveling to Mexico, make sure you check the State Department's Web site (state.gov) for areas that the state department deems dangerous. Other steps include taking authorized cabs.

Karen B.: What is the goal of the federal officers in Nuevo Laredo? Aren't they just as likely as the locals to be corrupt?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: The goal here in Nuevo Laredo is take back regions that are now under the increasing control of drug traffickers. Impunity is rampant. Many here say the city is lawless. Yet, 11 days into Operation Safe Mexico, some residents also complain that some state and federal cops are just as corrupt. There is a front page story today about a federal official soliciting a bribe from a civilian. As Mr. Fox himself has said, he has no magic wand. It will take time, lots of time, before Mexico can eradicate corruption.

Alisa: Who are the candidates for the upcoming presidential election, and where do they stand on quelling corruption?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: The candidates aren't official yet, but the three leading contenders are: Roberto Madrazo of the PRI, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the PRD and Santiago Creel of the PAN.
All three candidates are sure to say that they will lead the mother of all fights against corruption. But in reality, corruption is endemic in Mexican society. It will take many, many years and many campaigns to make a dent against corruption. Some studies suggest that if corruption wasn't an issue, cities like Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey would be equal to that of Holland or Paris in terms of infrastructure.

Brenda W.: Terror expert John Loftus appeared on Fox News Sunday morning and had more details about how al-Qaida has been teaming up with drug gangs to utilize their smuggling infrastructure. What is the situation with immigrants other than Mexicans in south Texas, particularly Middle Easterners?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: That's a question that reporters here, particularly the American ones, are constantly looking into. Mexican authorities also look at this carefully (Some will say privately, at the expenses of their own security such as fighting drug traffickers). Last night there was an arrest of a Middle Eastern man in Tijuana with alleged ties to al-Qaida. Details remain fuzzy, but it's something that we're watching carefully.

Brian J.: I recently e-mailed Gov. Perry to suggest that he activate the Texas State Guard and send them to the border with Mexico in order to improve security. Many members are Hispanic, which would help to deflect charges of racism and would avoid charges of vigilantism. Do you think the Mexican or U.S. government are considering any such"outside the box" methods to beef up border security?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Brian, it depends on who you ask in the Mexican government. Officially, the government does not want any U.S. intervention. Period. However, some local and state government officials along the border have said they welcome more beefed-up security along the U.S. side. In the drug game, it takes two to tango. Someone in the U.S. is also profiting big from illegal drugs and the Mexicans often complain that the U.S. is not doing enough to either curtail demand, or go after big drug traffickers on their side of the border. Mexico gets the bad name and the U.S. points fingers. It's more complicated than that. I know both governments are talking about ways to beef up security, although I don't know that bringing in the Texas Guard is one of them. I'll look into it and keep you posted.

Brian J.: Have the requirements changed for border crossing since the recent increase in suspicion of drug trafficking from Nuevo Laredo?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: No changes at all. However, Mexican authorities are more diligent about checking for firearms and other illegal weapons. But in general there are no new guidelines and Mexicans are more than ever happy to welcome tourists.

Henry Garcia: Is Mexico doing any thing about "coyotes" that are involved in the smuggling of people, which in my opinion are equally as dangerous as the narco traffickers.
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Mexico is taking an aggressive approach at targeting coyotes and they find themselves dealing with a new perilous situation: the growing alliance between coyotes and narco traffickers. Both businesses are equally profitable and the demand, not just from American drug addicts, but also from American businesses for cheap labor is big, too. And you're right, both are equally dangerous.

Henry Garcia: I read the DMN article interviewing the sheriff of Zapata County. The sheriff stated that there were people moving into his county from nearby Mexico and that he knew nothing about these people, except that they were building new homes and buying new cars. Can he or his department not do anything to learn more regarding the background of these folks? Personally, I would like to know who my neighbors are and what they do for a living, just a little something for my own peace of mind.
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: That's a good question. I couldn't speak for the sheriff from Zapata County, but I know other law enforcement sources here in Laredo and other areas, including El Paso, are constantly checking on new arrivals. It's not just terrorists that these officials are looking for, but also drug- and human- smuggling cells that form not only along the border but in major cities, including Dallas.

nancye77868: I heard on the news that if you travel to Mexico and have a Texas license plate you will be pulled over just because. Is this true?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: There are always lots of rumors concerning travel in Mexico and traveling with a Texas license plate is one of them. I can tell you from personal experience that a Texas license plate has never been a bad issue for me. I often travel with colleagues from our television partners and they drive a vehicle from Houston with Texas plates. We've never had one problem. In fact, we think, and this is not based on a scientific survey, that having Texas plates has helped us avoid problems because the last thing Mexican authorities want to do is solicit a bribe from a Texas tourist who also happens to be a journalist -- something we don't usually advertise. Often, if you travel Mexico's highways you will be pulled over by authorities who are looking for illegal weapons or drugs. Be safe.

johnthomas: Vicente Fox took office with statements about how the only solution to the drug problem was legalization. We haven't heard anymore about that. Our country has too many interests making money from prohibition. What are the chances Mexico could at least legalize marijuana -- a substance shown to be far less harmful than alcohol?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: With violence soaring across Mexico, talk of legalizing marijuana is indeed a hot issue for Mexicans. Consumption is also growing here. But President Fox, analysts and Mexican officials here say, is unlikely to legalize any ilegal drugs for fear of angering the U.S. government. Right now they need to strengthen ties with the U.S., not break them. However, many Mexican officials say, they hope that the Bush administration takes notice and do some deep evauluation of U.S. drug policy. Is it really working? Our story today shows that the U.S. government has spent, over the last 25 years, $45 billion of taxpayer monies overseas to cut supply and yet results are questionable.

Elena R.: Is the violence in Nuevo Laredo spilling over into Laredo?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Yes, some violence is spilling over. Last year Laredo had, I believe, 17 homicides. This year the number is already 13 and four to five of them are related to the drug violence spilling over from Nuevo Laredo. City, state and federal officials, plus law enforcement authorities are taking extra precautions and are calling for the state and federal government for more funds to help security.

Mythoss: Corchado, Yo viajo a México seguido con mi familia. Tengo que pasar por Nuevo Laredo. ¿Hay algún riesgo para las personas que solamente van de pasada?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Yo le diria que en general no hay problemas en seguir su costumbre de viajar a Mexico seguido. Todos los dias llegan familias que pasan por Nuevo Laredo hacia Nuevo Leon, o San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato sin ningun problema. Los pleitos entre narcos son muy entre ellos. Pero si hay que tener bastante cuidado con sus alrededores y yo tambien le recomendaria que venga antes de la noche y siga su camino. Suerte.

Leonardo N.: Alfredo Corchado, ¿Qué pasa con el sonriente asesino inmisericorde de Dallas KK, Acevedo? ¿Lo recuerdan acaso?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Leonardo, no reconozco el caso de Acevedo. Me podra dar mas detalles?

Brian: The US is pressuring Syria to control its side of the border with Iraq - Why doesn't the US apply the same pressure to Mexico?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Brian, good question, one that residents from both sides of the border are asking. Many say the violence here and curtailing it is a shared responsibility and, ironically, inspite of Mexico's deep-seated nationalistic views, many along the border (the governors of Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas and mayors of border cities) have said they would welcome more U.S. involvement along the border.

patricia: Alfredo, ¿el programa México Seguro, operará también en la frontera Mexico-US?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Patricia, si, el programa Mexico Seguro va a operar en 14 ciudades en todo el pais. Entre esas ciudades hay 8 ciudades fronterizas como Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, Matamoros, Tijuana y Ciudad Juarez, aunque alli el gobernador le va a llamar, Chihuahua Seguro. La frontera es la region de mas riesgo para el gobierno de Vicente Fox y obviamente para el gobierno del Presidente Bush. Gracias por su pregunta.

johnthomas: I have heard that Mexican presidential candidate, Lopez Obrador, favors marijuana legalization. Is that true? If so, what do you think his chances are of being elected and implementing this policy?
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau reporter: Mr. Lopez Obrador, to my knowledge, has not taken an official stand on legalizing marijuana. Like many Mexican politicians, Mr. Lopez Obrador has complained that U.S. drug policy isn't working and that consumption in Mexico is reaching alarming rates. It will be interesting to see what he does about legalizing drugs if he is elected.

moderator: Thank you for joining our chat. Transcripts in English and Spanish will be available later today.
Gracias por acompañarlos en nuestra charla. Una copia de esta charla (en inglés y español) estará disponible en nuestra página más tarde.