Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is DREAM Act just a dream?

Sorry if this has been posted already.
    --------------
    Dallas ISD Blog
    Is DREAM Act just a dream?
    Students in this country illegally want to know.

11:56 AM Fri, Apr 04, 2008 |

A website dedicated to students here illegally is offering testimonials on why thousands of folks are pushing for congress to enact the federal Dream Act -- a bill that would make it easier for illegal immigrants to go to college and provide them a pathway to citizenship via college or the military.

Thousands of folks have signed a petition on the website asking the three presidential candidates (Obama, Hillary and McCain) to pledge to enact the DREAM Act in their first 100 days in office, if they should become president. All three candidates co-sponsored the federal Dream Act (The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors
    Act) several years ago with other lawmakers, but it has yet to be signed into law. There's obviously been opposition to the act.

Before former DISD trustee Joe May died in February 2006, he proposed that DISD hire illegal immigrants to ease its shortage of bilingual teachers -- with the idea that some of those teachers would be former DISD students.

During the Joe May proposal -- which was probably one of the most controversial stories I've ever worked on -- I met a young woman who had graduated from DISD and went on to UNT, where she received a bachelor's in bilingual education. The professional woman that she is, she couldn't get a job in her field because her parents chose to bring her to the U.S. illegally at 7 years old.

It does beg the question: Why are students who are illegally in the U.S. pushed to do well in school and go off to college if there's not much of a future for them afterward?

Some will say, these young adults should go back to Mexico and come into the U.S. the right way. Be realistic. Many of them, like the young woman I referenced, haven't been to Mexico in years and likely have no ties there.

So what do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments
    Posted by Joe @ 2:58 PM Fri, Apr 04, 2008

This would be wonderful, but unfortunately too many ignorant anti-illegal immigrant advocates have powerful voices against it. The only crime these kids committed was entering illegally into the country and are for the most part wanting to stay, get an education and contribute to our society. What's wrong with that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Momto3inDISD @ 3:41 PM Fri, Apr 04, 2008

Gee - I wonder if creating a path to better jobs or higher education would help the drop out rate?
    If kids know they can't get "real" jobs, why finish high school?
    I think this Act is a great deal - the law requires schools to educate kids regardless of immigration status, so we should benefit from having these kids in the work force.

Posted by Bob @ 4:10 PM Fri, Apr 04, 2008

If these kids were able to graduate from U.S. high schools and can get in to college, it would be a huge waste for everyone if they cannot go get a degree and a good paying job (and pay school taxes).

Posted by JND @ 5:47 PM Fri, Apr 04, 2008

Joe -- "The only crime these kids committed." Are you sure? How many crimes do they have to commit in order to merit punishment instead of praise?

http://dallasisdblog.dallasnews.com/arc ... -stud.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I left this comment:

"It doesn't matter that their parents brought them here illegally. What matters now is that they are adults now and are responsible for their actions. The responsible adult thing to do is to self-deport. Oh, and to thank us for giving you your free K-12 education."
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Come join me!! No registration required. Just username and email.

http://dallasisdblog.dallasnews.com/arc ... -stud.html

It's the Dream Act thing. I've been leaving comments. I need your help coz the Dreamies are posting too!

The best Marshall Plan that the Unted States could give Latin America is to send a million bilingual people with high school math and science sklls.

It would help by raising the average level of education among available workers in those countries. As a result more foreign investment would flow in and jobs would be easier to get for everyone else. Oh wait we can do that automatically it is what would happen by enforcing our current immigration law.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This would be wonderful, but unfortunately too many ignorant anti-illegal immigrant advocates have powerful voices against it. The only crime these kids committed was entering illegally into the country

Us ignorant anti-illegals happen to place a lot of importance on "entering illegally". Obviously, more than you do. But you illegals who want the Dream Act to pass so badly don't seem to understand the meaning of illegal. Its in the dictionary. Look it up.

AWESOME POSTS, GUYS!! KEEP IT GOING!!

Illegal is Illegal...so what is the problem here....Why should ILLEGAL kids get a break cause they are illegal when AMERICAN kids can't? I had to take out LOANS...not free grants..to put my kids thru College....I was a single mom without a Spanish surname so we didn't qualify for any grants....No pity here...help the Citizens FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Let me see if I have this right - thousands of illegals with no right to vote are sending petitions to our government telling them which legislation to pass. Good grief!!
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Interesting comments posted.