Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Electrolux, in TN hires illegal aliens

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=7458278

SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. - A hidden camera investigation conducted by NewsChannel 5 revealed Springfield's biggest employer may be the biggest offender when it comes to hiring undocumented immigrants.

Electrolux is one of the largest manufacturing plants in Middle Tennessee.

It employs thousands of workers.

But a NewsChannel 5 investigation uncovered some disturbing facts about many of those employees.

From city leaders to factory employees, several people said the same thing about Electrolux. They said illegal immigrants, not Americans, comprise a large portion of its workforce.

Three years ago, the company announced it would add hundreds of new jobs to Robertson County, and local residents were excited about the hundreds of new jobs it would bring.

"They tend to project a family-oriented business here," said an employee.

Its opening was seen as a surefire boost to the local economy.

"You know they care so it's a perfect place for a single mom to be," said an employee.

But how many of those jobs went to American workers?

"This is what Springfield, Robertson County is," said Amanda Clack, a former employee. "They are taking over."

Clack few positions went to Americans.

She claims Electrolux is a big draw for immigrants.

"Ninety percent of that plant is Mexicans," she said. "Maybe 5 percent white, 5 percent black."

"There's only two people next to me who speak English, the rest of them are Hispanic around me," said an employee.

"They constantly want to say we're going to go to Mexico,' another employee said. "Why go to Mexico, when Mexico is here."

To get hired at Electrolux, applicants first go through a staffing agency called Randstad. Hiring occurs inside a trailer next to the plant. Four people equipped with hidden cameras went to the trailer to see what happens.

One person ventured into Randstad under the premise that she recently arrived in this country and needed a job.

While waiting to fill out paperwork, she met a man who was reapplying.

He allegedly reapplied using fake documentations.

The man told the decoy about someone he knew who provided fake documents.

Outside the trailer, he told her how much.

"Around $900 you will get a birth certificate, a social security number from Puerto Rico," he said. "It has a name and address and everything."

He showed her his own fake state identification.

"It's easy to get the job, and you don't have to speak English," he said.

Around town, the decoys sent by NewsChannel 5 learned Electrolux is the best place to work for undocumented immigrants.

"It's around $800 to get a social security number," one man said.

They also learned about a Puerto Rican black market in which identities are bought and sold.

No one seems to care if they're caught.

"They are reapplying because they are getting fired, and then they are reapplying with other documentations, and then getting hired again," said one decoy.

An applicant works for Randstad, but at Electrolux, for the first three while their papers are being verified.

"There's plenty of people there," one man said. "Some that will be fired today and they go and buy different papers, and then they go either to a different shift, or the same shift."

"Now, they need a lot of people, but there's no people to hire," he said. "And yes, they know those documents do not belong to us."

Randstad and Electrolux denied anything like this goes on.

But one man who urged the undercover decoy to apply with Randstad, saying Randstad knew his papers were fake, but rehired him anyway.

"Every one of us goes there and nothing happens," he said. "Don't be afraid. I worked there three years and nothing happened."

The situation at Electrolux has left many in Springfield with a familiar frustration.

"Since the Mexicans will work for lower amounts of money, they will hire them, and then leaving us out here, not being able to find a job," Clack said.

Randstad denies any wrongdoing.

A spokeswoman said they have an outside company that also checks to make sure the documents they receive are real. Springfield City Manager Paul Nutting said what the investigation revealed wasn't something new to him.

He said he's known about this issue for years and it's had a negative impact on Springfield.

In an interview Thursday, he discusses the Electrolux situation.

Electrolux also defended its hiring practices in a statement.

"We are confident that this process of independently verifying employee documentation minimizes the chances of undocumented workers slipping through," according to a written statement from a spokesman. "If any should, they eventually will be identified, and fired."

Send this to yr elected reps. in TN.

They state they have 1200 Hispanic employees out of 3000. I think it's probably more, but even at 40% is a huge number and most of them are illegal according to local reports.

If they have another company doing the hiring and verifying...then they are in the clear when they get raided....WHERE IS ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This does sound like it would be a fantastic place to raid, where is ICE?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasmad
    If they have another company doing the hiring and verifying...then they are in the clear when they get raided....WHERE IS ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's why this company and many in the building industry use a third party to do the hiring. IMO, the employer should still be responsible. I suspect this third pary is merely verifing counterfeit documents.

On the news right now (News Channel 5, Nashville)

They marched about 200 of them "out the door" yesterday due to Social Security and other "documents" not matching!!

I am so glad Tennessee, and my area particularly, is finally covering the illegal alien invasion on local news!!!

There has been coverage on NC5 almost every day this week. Maybe the illegals here in Macon county and employed at Tennplasco and Big C(Macon County) will get the message and GO HOME!
    ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION= Breeding the American out of existence.

Mr Bush himself: "It is far too soon to judge a man with eight months left in office." 2008-05-24

BTW:
    These employees are not directly hired by Electrolux, they are hired by Randstad Staffing Agency, but common sence will tell anybody that Electrolux is fully aware of their hiring practices.
    I was employed through Randstad a few years ago and my "agent" was a coke-head. Randstad doesn't care about legal vs. illegal as long as they get their cut from the employer.
    IMO they are both accountable.

Mr Bush himself: "It is far too soon to judge a man with eight months left in office." 2008-05-24

It makes me angry how companies try to justify hiring illegal aliens. Having said that, for me personaly I am compiling my own list of business that I will not be a patron of because of there pro-illegal stance. I understand that I alone will not make a difference to these companies, however it it assures me that I am not part of the problem and that sometimes it is all about baby steps. First me, then one more then one more and so on. I also share an e-mail with them telling them why I no longer will support their business and that I will pass on there business practice's to everyone I know... My list is not long, so anytime anyone heres of anyone it would be great to know.

McDonalds { to my sons dismay lol }
    Tyson
    Electrolux
    Walmart
    Carl's Jr
    CherieDawn

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all dayÂ* ~grin

Wow! I wish our local news would do investigative reports like that!!

So these are innocent people, just wanting to work, who believe they are not breaking any laws, yada yada...

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

CherieDawn, welcome to Alipac!

I learned back in June that 1 vote, 1 voice CAN and DOES make a difference! So don't think YOU won't make a difference!
    There are several good wesites that you can use to track the practices of employers who hire illegals and ones that don't. I wish I could boycott Wal-Mart, but having little Grand kids to buy for this Christmas is almost impossible to do when you live in a town that has one Dollar General and one Wal-Mart within decent mileage driving distance!

My biggest problem with Wal-Mart right now???
    1) Trying to find toys NOT made in China,
    2) Trying to find ANYTHING that is NOT Dora the Explorer or Diego!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast