Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ESCONDIDO: Protesters again call for the removal of police c

ESCONDIDO: Protesters again call for the removal of police chief

By EDWARD SIFUENTES
    Posted: March 26, 2010 7:04 pm | (136) Comments

Critics of Escondido's driver's license checkpoints on Friday once again called on police Chief Jim Maher to end the crackdowns and to step down if he refuses to do so.

Police checkpoints have long been criticized by Latino activists who say they disproportionately affect their community. That is because illegal immigrants, many of whom are Latinos, are barred by state law from having driver's licenses.

"It's depressing, sad and humiliating," said Enedina, an Escondido resident who joined more than 50 other people at a demonstration in front of City Hall.

The woman, who did not want her full name used because she is an illegal immigrant, said her car has been impounded twice because she does not have a driver's license.

She said she has to drive to take her children to school, church and after-school activities. She said she had to pay more than $3,500 in towing, storage and other fees to recover her car.

It is not the first time that activists have called for the chief's removal.

In April, members of El Grupo, an umbrella group of civil rights organizations, called on the city to replace Maher, saying his policies, especially his department's frequent use of driver's license checkpoints, had created an atmosphere of fear in the community.

At the time, both the police chief and the city's mayor rejected the call.

Activists, students and representatives of various advocacy groups attended Friday's rally, including Carmen Miranda, a community activist and outspoken critic of the checkpoints; Bill Flores, a retired assistant sheriff and member of El Grupo; and Tina Jillings, co-founder of the Vista-based Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity.

Maher said Friday the checkpoints have only one objective: safety.

"The checkpoints have nothing to do with race and everything to do with traffic safety," he said. "If they can find a better way to keep the streets of Escondido safe, I am willing to listen to them."

The chief has said that he supports granting licenses to undocumented immigrants under certain conditions. He said they should be required to have a criminal background check, and the document should look different from a regular license so it can't be used for any other purpose.

In an effort to reduce the number of hit-and-run crashes, the Police Department conducts dozens of checkpoints each year.

The department conducts two kinds of checkpoints, one aimed primarily at nabbing unlicensed drivers, the other at catching drunken drivers.

The driver's license checkpoints are the most troublesome to some Latino activists, who say the operations are really traps intended to ensnare illegal immigrants ---- a charge vigorously denied by police officials.

Miranda said the city should remove the police chief because his use of the checkpoints alienates and frightens Latino immigrants.

"We want the chief to focus on real issues," she said.

Maher said it is the activists who are dividing and frightening the community. He said the checkpoints are designed to make sure people have "a driver's license, insurance and are sober when they drive in Escondido."

Councilwoman Olga Diaz, who attended the rally, said she would prefer the department use other methods to keep the streets safe, such as saturation patrols in which police officers focus on catching drunken drivers.

"I don't like the way they (checkpoints) impact the community," she said.

Diaz said she does not believe the chief should be removed.

Maher said the checkpoints and saturation patrols are part of the department's comprehensive approach to traffic safety in the city.

"They are both effective," he said.

http://oneoldvet.com/

www.nctimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't like the way they (checkpoints) impact the community," she said.
    Gee...what community might that be?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We want the chief to focus on real issues,"

The real issues are "you're threatening other legal California drivers by driving without a license especially since you don't and cannot be covered by auto insurance in case you have an accident and kill legal American citizens."

What will you do then? Just shrug it off and say, "oh well" and run away like most illegal immigrants who should not be driving do when they hit and kill a U.S. citizen?

Maybe U.S. citizens should do the same to illegals, then?

Now here is something funny, and I dont say much about it, because, well, some people get the wrong idea immediately

I am a biker, I ride with a club, the police at motorcycle events, do these " safety" checkpoints all the time.

unlike DUI check point where they have to follow rules, and have a civilian watchdog make sure they only stop what ever number vehicle they agreed on, like every 5th car

these checkpoints stop every single bike. Not only do they check drivers licenses and insuranse, they will, if they get a bug up their butt go over every inch of your bike.....this is of course while they run you for warrants.

In reality, it is legal harrassment, nothing more, nothing less.

but it is LEGAL to do this to american citizens, yet, these people here illegally want seperate but better rights ?

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    IF YOU DON`T LIKE IT TEAR YOUR AS_ ...
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    The woman, who did not want her full name used because she is an illegal immigrant, said her car has been impounded twice because she does not have a driver's license.
    If Escondido participated in the 287(g) program this lady would probably not be marching in the streets making problems over a city ordinance (or policy) - her butt would be back in Mexico or wherever she came from. Oops, sorry, I forgot that Ms. Janet has issued a standing ''catch and release" order (whenever possible) or at least it seems that way.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NOTICE HOW THE ONLY TWO WHITE PEOPLE IN THE GROUP GET THEIR PICTURES TAKEN

Police checkpoints have long been criticized by Latino activists who say they disproportionately affect their community. That is because illegal immigrants, many of whom are Latinos, are barred by state law from having driver's licenses.

"It's depressing, sad and humiliating," said Enedina, an Escondido resident who joined more than 50 other people at a demonstration in front of City Hall.

She said she has to drive to take her children to school, church and after-school activities. She said she had to pay more than $3,500 in towing, storage and other fees to recover her car.

Councilwoman Olga Diaz, who attended the rally, said she would prefer the department use other methods to keep the streets safe, such as saturation patrols in which police officers focus on catching drunken drivers.

"I don't like the way they (checkpoints) impact the community," she said.

Diaz said she does not believe the chief should be removed.

Everyone who has commented/reviewed on this topic. Take a look at this dated video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26wQ5YZ_f0M

Who do you think this councilwoman stands for?????

It's depressing, sad and humiliating for an American to be out of work because you stole their job. It's sad sitting by the side of the road after an illegal hit your car, doing major damage, and then left the scene leaving you with the repair bills. It's depressing watching my once great country become a third world country where Spanish only is spoken and sixteen cars fill each driveway.

If your car was impounded twice, that's because you broke the law twice. If it's so terrible living here, go home.

I particularly like the sign "checkpoints waste our city's resources". Lady, do you even pay property taxes, income taxes. Do you realize how our educational, medical and social welfare resources are wasted on lawbreakers?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The real issue is ILLEGALS and the never ending pandering by the Elitist Politicians and their Elitist Contributors who are "socializing benefits" to the ILLEGALS, camouflaged as welfare for United States Citizens, on the backs of United States citizens through our assets such as the Education System, Social Security, and Health Care not to mention our National Security while "privatizing" the profits for themselves! I guess the concerns I have with the random checkpoints revolve around the increased infringement into my life as a LEGAL United States Citizens by "my" government. I can see this going the way of airport security due to Political Correctness, the 80 year old grey haired lady will be searched and her privacy violated while many others who fit the profile of terrorists or in this case also ILLEGALS will be pasted thru. It just doesn’t seem right to me to hear the police ask "Can I see your papers", it reminds me of the WWII movies I have seen about occupied Europe. The reason we have the problem with ILLEGALS is because of our inept government and we do not need more government incompetence to intrude on the every day LEGAL United States Citizen’s life. The answer is to Secure Our National Borders, the source of the ILLEGALS, and Enforce Our Immigration Laws (Heavy Fines and Felony Jail Time for ILLEGAL EMPLOYERS and Felony Conviction and Deportation for the ILLEGALS); these are laws already on the books that NEED to be enforced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast