Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Few options for veterans who await deportation

Few options for veterans who await deportation

Some say their military service merits special consideration

By Steve Liewer

STAFF WRITER
    2:00 a.m. July 12, 2009

Fernando Cervantes held a bill that would spare the Army veteran from being deported. (Hiram Soto / U-T) - U-T Multimedia: To see an interview with a veteran awaiting deportation at a federal facility in El Centro, go to uniontrib.com/more/deport

As a 7-year-old, Fernando Cervantes emigrated legally from Mexico to Texas with his mother in 1961.

At 18, in the waning days of the Vietnam War, he enlisted in the Army. Cervantes donned the khaki uniform, raised his right hand and swore to defend the Constitution.

“I thought it was my patriotic duty,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well

There's a good incentive NOT to do drugs...Dont do the crime, yadda yadda yadda...

See what a mess some American Military are dealing with. And our American Military is going to keep their mouths shut because they do not want to be fired. American military members have been passed over due to quotas I bet you to promote an illegal alien, oh my a green card holder.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Anyway, I do not see this as a military issue. Rather, it's an issue of someone who was allowed into this country and committed serious felonies which under current law, may result in deportation.

An American citizen does not get a free pass if he/she commits a crime just because they happen to be a veteran. Therefore the penality for those who were allowed into this country is posible deportation if they are convicted of certain felonies. That's the law and it should be followed. Military service may very well be a mitigating factor, but it should not in of itself prevent deportation.

I thank them for their service. However, I'm still of the belief that admittance into this country is a privilege and not a right. If you abuse that privilege, it can be revoked.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote]Plenty of people, though, said living in the United States is a privilege that foreigners forfeit with criminal behavior – even if they're veterans.

“If they've not gotten citizenship, I have no qualms about deporting them,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    NoBueno wrote:

An American citizen does not get a free pass if he/she commits a crime just because they happen to be a veteran. Therefore the penality for those who were allowed into this country is posible deportation if they are convicted of certain felonies. That's the law and it should be followed. Military service may very well be a mitigating factor, but it should not in of itself prevent deportation.
    As a military retiree, I agree.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED

RELATED

Courts for only ailing vets spur debate

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-922962.html#922962
    NO AMNESTY

Though I respect military service, I do not think that veterens should get a free pass to commit crimes. If we dont deport illegals because they served in the military then what about other crimes? Does that mean that those that served in the military can rob a bank? Rape? Embezzlement? What about parking tickets? Should we say that veterens should not get parking tickets because they served in the military?

MW
    redpony wrote:

Though I respect military service, I do not think that veterens should get a free pass to commit crimes. If we dont deport illegals because they served in the military then what about other crimes?
    I suspect these folks were legal immigrants (green card holders) when they served in the military. However, once they committed a felony there legal status was probably revoked, which made them eligible for deporation. I say ship 'em out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Notice these guys were arrested several times and were not deported.3rd. time was the charm so I say they were given a chance and they blew it. !
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast