Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Florida: Migrant group to rally Feb. 22

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/ ... 789271.htm

Posted on Sat, Feb. 04, 2006

Migrant group to rally Feb. 22
    Workers to protest legislation with a labor stoppage

LAURA FIGUEROA
    Herald Staff Writer

PALMETTO - In 1994, when Maria Perez, 59, a native of a small ranching town outside of Guerrero, Mexico, sold off one of her cattle to pay for a guide to bring her across the Mexico-United States border, she paid $300.

Today, the 12-year Palmetto resident said the same trip might cost up to $1,500, an increase she doesn't attribute to inflation but to increased border security.

As proposed legislation on the national level attempts to place stricter guidelines on immigration enforcement, members of the newly formed Organization for United Latino Immigrants of Florida, have announced plans to rally against such proposals by having a statewide "Dia de Obediencia," or a day without work, on Feb. 22.

The group plans on rallying in front of the Fort Myers office of U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., on that date.

"We want a peaceful way to show our presence," said Luis Ibarra, the group's president. "This will be our way of petitioning for support. If the workers do not work that day it will show the economic losses that would occur if this country didn't have immigrant workers."

The motive behind organizing the work stoppage is H.R. 4437, a bill approved in the U.S. House, which the group hopes does not pass in the Senate.

The bill's measures, proposed by U.S. Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., would include withholding grants and funds from state and local governments that protect the confidentiality of immigrants and providing for more funding of fencing between the U.S.-Mexico border.

Ibarra said the group has garnered the support of about 15 contractors in Arcadia, each contractor overseeing anywhere from 40 to 100 employees.

He said the group has also spoken to immigration supporters groups in Immokolee, Plant City and Homestead to gather more support.

"We're in the process of getting more organized," Ibarra said. "We want this to be big, to show our presence."

Local tomato grower Jay Taylor, with Taylor and Fulton farms, said he supports immigrants' efforts to voice their concerns on immigration rights.

"We need to realize these people have been an economic engine, working in the service sector, agriculture, construction, doing jobs many others wouldn't touch," Taylor said. "We need to work on a sustainable method of including them in our economy, maybe through an amnesty program."

Though it is unclear how many, if any of Manatee County's immigrant work force, will participate in the work stoppage, Taylor said it is something that may affect his company.

"In farming, timeliness is important," Taylor said. "In the same regard, logical and organized registration of immigrants is important to me and my brother. I think they're right in going to our elected representatives."

Marvin Mills, with the Sarasota/Manatee Farmworkers Supporters, a local group that advocates on behalf of farmworkers' rights, said while he supports the initiatives, he doesn't know how likely it is that farmworkers in the area will participate.

"Farmworkers are most cautious about organizing strikes. They may be scared of the retributions," Mills said. "We've always thought they need all the support they can get from the public."

While the Organization of United Latino Immigrants of Florida works to gather support for their event, the group is challenged in getting support from those here illegally in the country who do not want to bring more attention to themselves.

"One only comes here to work," said Aurelio Rodriguez in Spanish. He arrived in Palmetto from Guadalajara, Mexico, after paying a guide $700 to transport him to Phoenix. "To be honest, though I think it's a good idea, 'da miedo'- it's scary. I've just been here eight months I don't want to do anything that could get me kicked out."

Laura Figueroa, Herald reporter, can be reached at 708-7906 or lfigueroa@HeraldToday.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

QUOTE:
    "We want a peaceful way to show our presence," said Luis Ibarra, the group's president. "This will be our way of petitioning for support. If the workers do not work that day it will show the economic losses that would occur if this country didn't have immigrant workers."

What a stupid statement. Does anyone really think that illegal immigrants who dont work for one day will have businesses that hire them, show up any economic losses? These people are hired under the table and dont pay taxes. What businesses are going to turn themselves in for hiring illegal workers?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Have I got this straight? They're going to have a work "stoppage" because HB4437 will make the cost of being smuggled into the US higher? How much does it cost to come legally?

As for Jay Taylor, if he uses illegal aliens, may every tomato in his fields rot on the vine.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)