Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Grandma no habla english, xrays infant grandchild

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/20/baby.a ... index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A woman sent her 1-month-old grandson through an X-ray machine at Los Angeles International Airport, security officials said Wednesday.

The woman, who spoke little English and was traveling to Mexico, put the infant in a plastic bin used to hold loose carry-on items for security scanning at the busy airport Saturday morning.

Security screeners saw the baby as it started to pass through, pulled the bin out, and immediately sought medical assistance for the child, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez said.

The baby was examined at a local hospital and judged not to have received a dangerous dose of radiation.

"The lady obviously mistakenly put the baby in the machine. It was an unfortunate incident," Melendez said. (Watch the reactions of other travelers )

Airport officials said it was an innocent mistake by an inexperienced traveler and only the second such incident there since 1988, when a baby in a car seat went through an X-ray scanner.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Ignorance is no excuse. My grandmother came to Canada when she was older and did not work long. She was Eastern European and escaped communism by going to Germany where she learned German. In Canada she ended up in a predominently German speaking city, west of Toronto. When the German neighbors spoke German to her, she would ask them to speak English so she could learn it. She watched TV shows geared at children to learn as well. At the time there was no English as a Second Language that was offerred for free like there is today. She struggled but learned to speak and when she was critically ill, I asked nurses if they needed any translation. The nurses said no and told me that she spoke English very well. This amazed me as I never spoke English to her and therefore did not realize how fluent she really was.
    I tell people this all the time to make them realize that you can learn at any age if you want to. In this day and age there is no excuse as there are free classes availible to fit people's schedules.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I suppose now there will be a demand for Interpeters at our screnning places at airports now right? Just Spanish of course, as every other foreign language speakers are expected to deal with our English language!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

I'm so happy that our president and congress is allowing in all these morons who continue to dumb down our country and turn it into a big giant tower of babel. Instead of making them assimilate, we accommodate their stupidity and laziness.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    There are already two threads covering this topic in the "Other News" section.

Banned

Re: Grandma no habla english, xrays infant grandchild

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/20/baby.airport.reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A woman sent her 1-month-old grandson through an X-ray machine at Los Angeles International Airport, security officials said Wednesday.

The woman, who spoke little English and was traveling to Mexico, put the infant in a plastic bin used to hold loose carry-on items for security scanning at the busy airport Saturday morning.

Security screeners saw the baby as it started to pass through, pulled the bin out, and immediately sought medical assistance for the child, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez said.

The baby was examined at a local hospital and judged not to have received a dangerous dose of radiation.

"The lady obviously mistakenly put the baby in the machine. It was an unfortunate incident," Melendez said. (Watch the reactions of other travelers )

Airport officials said it was an innocent mistake by an inexperienced traveler and only the second such incident there since 1988, when a baby in a car seat went through an X-ray scanner.
    As I stated in the thread in the other section, this is most certainly NOT only the second such incident, because a friend of mine and I saw the same exact thing happen with an Asian lady and her infant at LAX in about 2000.

Sorry CG - I only looked in this section. Limited time with Christmas and all.

I don't know if anyone watched the video, but it was funny that the one guy said he couldn't believe how someone could be so stupid. LOL
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Saw it on this site only. Why do they want to learn English? We have given them all 1/2 the cable channels we get in Miami, their own version of the Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel in Spanish, most good FM radio station are no longer and are now Spanish speaking ones, there are biilboards in Spanish by the highway and we are actually getting Spanish speaking commercials on the English speaking channels. Not to mention looking at the flyer from Miami Dade Community College I found numerous courses all in Spanish. Some of these courses include: mortgage loan processing, childcare courses, web design, real estate exam preparation, mortgage brokerage, bookkeeping, food handler certification, and CPR just to name a few. Now I know why there are so many young people in their 20's and 30's that never learned how to speak English. This is sickening.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In our political correctness, we have become enablers, esp for the Spanish speaking population, since we have not bothered to accomodate any other foreign language as we have the Spanish language.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

The instructions were posted in Spanish. What I expect now is
    some group to say we are literacy fascists since we think everyone
    can read at least one language.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast