nh...rebel,
Yes things change and I'm speaking from experience gained long before 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq, families do learn to survive without their spouse, however, I'm addressing illegal immigration NOT the family situation.

I've lived in Killeen since 1986 so I am aware of the construction boom here. It started in early 1992, not 2001, so if that is the source of illegals in Bell County, and I don't doubt that it is, it started 13 years ago not 5. Regardless, the soldiers aren't gone 5 years or even 2 years. In most cases it is 6 to 12 months and unless they were going around counting how many illegals there are BEFORE they went, in which case they would already be aware of the magnitude of the problem, they aren't going to notice much of a difference when they get back. Even going from being total ignorant of the situation a year ago to being fully aware of the problem today, I haven't noticed that much of a change. If anything, I actually take more notice of the non hispanic workers on construction sites now and when I compare what I observe to what I read here and in other immigration reform groups, Bell County isn't nearly as bad as some places.

As for the Family Readiness Groups - been there, done that, didn't want the T-shirt.

What is your source for the quadrupling of illegals in Central Texas? And does that include the metropolitan Austin area or only Bell County?

I'm a little surprised that you left the military. You seem like you were a very dedicated and knowlegdable soldier and it's hard to imagine that one lousy duty station could have forced you to give it up.