Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guest Opinion

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I am not picking a fight here but the way I read her article she suggests that lawful permanent residents are also not welcome because they just come on over for the ride. This is not ALWAYS the case, yet she is tarring them all with the same brush. Lawful permanent residents and illegals alike.

I understand that it is not a right to be here and that the costs involved are nothing compared to what they ultimately achieve, which is US citizenship, but she makes it appear that all immigrants are freeloading, which is not the case.

I truly believe you have misconstrued my words.

Quote Originally Posted by styvoinnevada
    I think the article is awesome, but you appear to have a grievance against legal residents, as well as illegal ones. Do you know the costs involved to become a lawful permanent resident? Do you know that you have to a lawful permanent resident for two years before you can even apply to become a US citizen? Do you know how long it takes to obtain citizenship? Do you know that lawful permanent residents can be drafted?

I understand you picking on the undocumented workers, since most of them have stolen/forged documents, but don't pick on the people who are trying to get US citizenship the right way.
    Welcome to styvoinnevada. I don't think that melena was saying that legal immigrants aren't welcome. I could be mistaken, but I thought at one time she said she was a legal immigrant.

I have a friend from Chile who is a naturalized citizen. Proud to give her allegiance to this country. She is educated, speaks five languages fluently and a staunch support of America. I have neighbors who are legal permanent residents who never bothered to become citizens the same with my hairdressers. I always ask myself why? They've been for decades and will not go to the trouble to make themselves citizens. Each to his own. They fly American flags at holidays in front of the homes. Who knows why people make the decisions they do. Good people. We have people here at Alipac who are naturalized citizens or married to permanent legal residents. I really don't think melena feels antipathy toward them but with illegal immigrant out of control, maybe we have to say, "slow it down until the other is in control."

Melena can speak for herself. Just my opinion with past conversations with her.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the article is awesome, but you appear to have a grievance against legal residents, as well as illegal ones. Do you know the costs involved to become a lawful permanent resident? Do you know that you have to a lawful permanent resident for two years before you can even apply to become a US citizen? Do you know how long it takes to obtain citizenship? Do you know that lawful permanent residents can be drafted?

I understand you picking on the undocumented workers, since most of them have stolen/forged documents, but don't pick on the people who are trying to get US citizenship the right way.
    My grievance is against "legal immigrants" who are here under visa work programs, which we all know are a simply a means for corporations to acquire cheap labor. It is a slap in the face to all Americans when foreigners are given our jobs (and they are taking our jobs) because some CEO wants another yacht to ski behind or a summer home in Italy. And yes, I have a real problem with "legal permanent residents" and the "permanent green card work status" because they serve only to dissolve our sovereignty as a nation.

We cannot simultaneously boast a first-rate education system and then say we don’t have workers skilled enough to work here, particularly in the technology fields that we as Americans created. With regard to unskilled labor visas (hospitality, landscaping, etc…), our young adults have always worked in those fields to help pay for college or support their hobbies, sometimes to help out at home if need be. But all these have been ripped out from under us. And for what?

What I assert is that because of our ancestors sacrifice, and it surely was a sacrifice, we are entitled to our birthright as American citizens, which encompass the responsibilities as well as the privileges of American citizenship, and for which we are expected to pledge allegiance to the United States of America. Unless one is willing to make the same sacrifice and pledge the same allegiance, and to do it through proper legal channels, one has no right to enjoy American citizenship or its benefits. It shouldn’t be any other way.

My great-grandfather was an immigrant. He loved this country and was thankful until the day he died for all it blessed him with. As an American, and an heir to his legacy, I accept nothing less from immigrants of today.
    <div>
    </div>

[quote]Unless one is willing to make the same sacrifice and pledge the same allegiance, and to do it through proper legal channels, one has no right to enjoy American citizenship or its benefits.

Understood, but they first have to become lawful permanent residents to get to the end result. How else are they going to do it? Not everybody can marry an American.

EXCELLENT article melena29! You said it all.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Unless one is willing to make the same sacrifice and pledge the same allegiance, and to do it through proper legal channels, one has no right to enjoy American citizenship or its benefits.

Understood, but they first have to become lawful permanent residents to get to the end result. How else are they going to do it? Not everybody can marry an American.
    Understood. But if you’re doing so displaces an American citizen, I will continue to consider it offensive. Again, I come from immigrants. We all do. We respect that. It's just that these abuses are becoming rampant, and the effect is pandemic. Try to imagine this happening in your country, and you are being pushed out of your home by outsiders, and for nothing more than the ill-gotten gains of the wealthy. I suspect this would piss you off. (Is it OK to use that word?)

This is the stuff revolutions have been borne of. I suspect we have one on the horizon.

And this is the last reason to marry anyone.
    <div>
    </div>

OK, truce, I think is the word that is called for here.

I understand your feelings and it is happening in my country. We are originally from the UK and we have lived and worked over here for eight years and it took us six years to get our green card. We have to wait for another year before we can even apply to become citizens, yet as non-citizens we can still be drafted into the military. I don't have a problem with that but it can still take us years to become citizens. I would be really ticked off (better than the word you used ) if I got my head shot off before I got the end prize, wouldn't you?

I understand your feelings and it is happening in my country. We are originally from the UK and we have lived and worked over here for eight years and it took us six years to get our green card. We have to wait for another year before we can even apply to become citizens, yet as non-citizens we can still be drafted into the military. I don't have a problem with that but it can still take us years to become citizens. I would be really ticked off (better than the word you used ) if I got my head shot off before I got the end prize, wouldn't you?
    We don't have a draft. The military is voluntary; two of my children serve in the army. Truce. And I like the word I used, it gets the point across.
    <div>
    </div>

In case you were not aware, we have no active draft at the moment, and have not had one in over 30 years. I wouldn't worry about being drafted and getting your "head shot off" Probably is not going to happen. But if this is truly a concern, you simply could have waited until after your 26th birthday to emigrate to this country.

In the unlikely you are drafted, remember this. If the "prize" is worth coming for, it's worth dying for! Every American male has to register for the draft when they turn 18. If I were trying to emigrate to another country and those were the rules, I would have to respect and follow suit. Welcome to ALIPAC and America!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

styvoinnevada

An observation or two from me. You sound like the type of person that will enrich America to me. I wish you well in your efforts. I applaud your legal efforts to be one of us. We do have a problem here in the immigration area, and I know you won't want to hear this, but we need a one or two year moratorium on immigration.
    I recently logged in to the Guardian. I did a search for IT jobs. I got over 2000 hits. I scrolled through the first 8-10 pages. The majority of the jobs were in Atlanta GA. I went to Atlanta job sites. Many of the jobs being advertised in England were unable to be found on the web in America.

Is a problem, n'est ce pas, if you are an American IT techie??? Yes ??/ No???

We are being betrayed by American employers,. People like me lean more to the right than normal when I see Americans discriminated against. If bullets start flying, it will be an American standing to protect an old geezer like me, not some person who was brought here to beat my defender out of a job due to lower salary requirements.

So, I sincerely wish you well, but I feel I can be forgiven for wishing my fellow citizens better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast