Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The state of Illonois must have been asleep when Luis was elected. I'll be glad when that state wakes up. We need them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't know anything about Davis but if he's from Illinois his immigration record can't be good. I'll keep an eye on this.

Blagojevich trumpets 'Sen. Davis' but says he hasn't decided on seat
    Recommend (4)
    Comments

November 28, 2008

BY MAUDLYNE IHEJIRIKA Staff Reporter/mihejirika@suntimes.com

Gov. Blagojevich said it twice -- "Where's Sen. Davis?" -- with a sly smile, but also with an assured tone.

For a brief moment, it seemed as if the governor had chosen Chicago Congressman Danny Davis to fill the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.

Gov. Blagojevich, right, and U.S. Rep. Danny Davis answer reporters' questions during a visit to the Chicago Christian Industrial League's Thanksgiving event.
    (John J. Kim/Sun-Times)

RELATED STORIES
    Blagojevich: Bush should let Ryan out of prison

But Blagojevich -- who along with Davis was visiting homeless people at a Chicago Christian Industrial League Thanksgiving meal Thursday -- quickly let it be known that he still hasn't made his choice about who should fill the remaining two years of Obama's Senate term.

Still, the governor went on to extol virtues he said would make Davis a worthy heir to Obama.

"Congressman Davis is a very good person. He and I have worked together in Congress, and I know the kind of man he is. I know that he is a good, decent man, and you don't find a lot of that in politics," Blagojevich said. "I'm breaking my rules about speculating on a candidate, but Congressman Davis is here, and I can tell you he's certainly a strong candidate for the position."

Before the governor's arrival, Davis talked of his interest in and qualifications for the job.

"I have spoken to the governor. The opportunity to serve in the U.S. Senate would be great. It's an awesome responsibility, and I have never shied away from responsibility," Davis said. "Quite frankly, if the governor should see fit to appoint me, I'm eager to run and eager to serve."

Besides Davis, names in the mix for Obama's seat include Representatives Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) and Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), state Veterans Affairs Department Director Tammy Duckworth and retiring Senate President Emil Jones (D-Chicago).

The governor stressed that while he would like to replace the Senate's only African-American member with another African American, Obama's election as president proves race should not be a factor.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1 ... 28.article
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12