Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hayworth wouldn't want Bush to campaign for him

Hayworth wouldn't want Bush to campaign for him

Billy House
    Republic Washington Bureau
    Nov. 9, 2005 01:40 PM

WASHINGTON - Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Ariz., told a national cable television morning show on Wednesday that he would not want President Bush to campaign for him in Arizona "at this time."

"In a word, no. Not at this time," said Hayworth.

News of Hayworth's comment to Don Imus, during the Imus in the Morning show on MSNBC, quickly spread as show even highlighted the quote on its Web site. advertisement

By afternoon, Hayworth's office issued a statement from the congressman clarifying that, "I'm going to do all I can to help the president turn things around" by next year's mid-term elections.

Hayworth's remark comes at a time when Bush's job approval ratings are under 40 percent in some national polls and amid rising public anxiety over the war in Iraq, Bush Administration miscues and other GOP turmoil.

According to a transcript of the show, Hayworth and Imus were talking about Tuesday's elections results, including the victory in Virginia by Democrat Tim Kaine over Republican Jerry Kilgore, for whom Bush had done an 11th-hour stump appearance in Viriginia.

"Would you welcome President Bush to come to Arizona to campaign for you?" Imus asked Hayworth pointedly.

Hayworth, speaking by phone, initially sidestepped answering Imus' question.

"I would welcome President Bush to Arizona to come with me along the border and see the problems that the ranchers and the law-abiding american citizens are having there," Hayworth said.

"I would welcome President Bush to get tough on illegal immigration and understand that what happens on the border of the United States and Mexico is just as important as what's happening on the border of Syria and Iraq," the Arizona congressman said.

"So I would welcome President Bush to come and get serious with an enforcement first policy toward illegal immigration rather than a campaign. I think let's govern first and then let the voters decide about a campaign."

But Imus suggested to Hayworth that he "wasn't even coming close to answer my question."

"Would you just answer my question? Would you like him to come to Arizona and cut campaign commercials for you and run them on all those TV stations in Phoenix, in Tucson, in Flagstaff, in Prescott, and everywhere?" Imus asked.

"In a word, no. Not at this time," Hayworth said.

In the later statement issued by Hayworth's office, he explained: "My comment was just a realistic assessment of where the president is politically at this time, as the transcript makes clear."

"I'm going to do all I can to help the president turn things around, and I fully expect that by election time next year his troubles will be behind him," added Hayworth. "One way the president can reconnect with the American people is to drop his guest worker/amnesty plan for illegal immigrants and join us in an enforcement-first approach."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 09-ON.html
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Ding, Ding, Ding at least one Republican learned from last night. Hayworth you win the right to be reelected next year. Being endorsed by Jorge the liar is a kiss of death, a major turn off to voters nationwide. Embrace the wackident and embrace your own political demise.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by dman1200
    Ding, Ding, Ding at least one Republican learned from last night. Hayworth you win the right to be reelected next year. Being endorsed by Jorge the liar is a kiss of death, a major turn off to voters nationwide. Embrace the wackident and embrace your own political demise.
    I thought Dman this would have a special meaning to you.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06