Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Here's the joke that got college prof fired

Here's the joke that got college prof fired
    Student who complained says outcome 'fair' as legal fight launches
    Posted: January 13, 2011
    10:35 pm Eastern

By Fergus Hodgson
    © 2011 WorldNetDaily
    Robert Engler

"A group of sociologists did a poll in Arizona about the new immigration law. Sixty percent said they were in favor, and 40 percent said, 'No hablo English.'"

That joke in class has Robert Engler, a 12-year sociology professor at Roosevelt University, fighting for his career.

It elicited two written complaints in the spring of 2010 as ethnically offensive, and what followed was a protracted argument that eventually included the termination of his employment from the fall semester.

Administrators have also discontinued his course "City and Citizenship," previously a requirement for graduation.

Now his attorney, Doug Ibendahl, is about to file suit. Ibendahl believes university administrators are dragging their feet over a "harmless joke that would not be considered offensive by any reasonable standard."

"Litigation shouldn't be necessary in a case like this where the wrong is so obvious," he said, "but the university may give us no choice but to move forward."

Officially, Engler's termination was for noncooperation with the harassment investigation, since he repeatedly chose not to attend meetings that would address the allegation.

Engler said he was willing to cooperate but the department refused to put the allegation in writing. When he brought legal counsel to an appeal meeting, university administrators immediately canceled it.

It wasn't until the student newspaper wrote about the case months after his dismissal that he learned of the origin of the allegations, he said.

"I didn't want to come to a meeting and be charged and not even know what it was," he said.

He said "university representatives insisted in meeting over the summer when I could not gather a defense, while I was engaged in other projects and not in Chicago."

Now he worries that the unresolved harassment dispute will dissuade alternative employers.

In the termination letter, the department chairman, Michael Maly, expressed disappointment with the drawn-out process. However, he asserted that Engler brought the situation upon himself.

"Obviously we would have preferred to meet with you … we were very clear that you had an obligation to participate … we also explicitly advised you of the consequences for failing to fulfill your responsibility," he said.

One student that filed a complaint, Cristina Solis, has spoken out, describing the outcome as fair and saying that she does not regret her decision to complain.

"If that is what it took to give him a reality check, and to make sure that no other student has to go through that, maybe it's for the best," she said.

She believes the remarks were inappropriate for "a school like Roosevelt University, which is based on social justice."

Engler is unapologetic and countered that "by definition that course contains controversial material."

Ibendahl added that Engler has an unblemished record, and the joke was directly related to the day's topic of discussion.

"Humor is used by many professors to better engage students. … We can expect a substantial chilling effect on academic freedom and our First Amendment Rights. That hurts all of us, and possibly other students most of all," he said.

Adam Kissel, vice president of programs with the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, is investigating and also has expressed concern about the freedom-of-speech ramifications.

The Roosevelt Adjunct Faculty Organization, Engler's union representatives, has filed a supporting grievance claim that remains unresolved.

Read more: Here's the joke that got college prof fired http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=250705#ixzz1B70xHVwR
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    He has been fired for exercising his freedom of speech,which Is protected under the constitution Over an obvious joke that was taken out of context by a few hispanics that felt offended Offended by what A professor that dared to speak truth to words,while casually making a joke out of It What In the world Is our country coming to

That joke is all too true here in AZ, but it just figures that he would get fired for stating the truth.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by thedramaofmylife
    That joke is all too true here in AZ, but it just figures that he would get fired for stating the truth.
    These new Latinos in college are taught from day one to get butt hurt and yell racism at every corner.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

I agree the Prof dared to speak the truth so where's the beef ?

The only ones who do not agree with the Immigration law are Radical Hispanics and a few Bleeding Heart Dems who think with their hearts and not their minds and worry about being PC.

I hope he sue's the College and I think he will win. Enough is Enough with this muzzling our Freedom of Speech !!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

They jump like a pack of dogs on a bone at anything they can find to further their agenda. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

More political correctness on display. It is getting so no one can even talk anymore because someone might feel 'offended.'
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't like be called a Gringo or seeing the word Gringo in print in the NPR article in reference to whites. It is a commonly used and a derogatory term.

Who are the PC police for the OBL crowd?

working4change
    http://help.npr.org/npr/includes/custom ... actus.aspx

Contact NPR Make your concerns known
    (MOD Edit/fixed link/RB)

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    More political correctness on display. It is getting so no one can even talk anymore because someone might feel 'offended.'
    Exactly.

Where does it say in our constitution that it is someone's right to not be offended!?! I get offended everyday by the govt. Can I sue?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast