Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

House panel scrutinizes immigration program

House panel scrutinizes immigration program
    By SUZANNE GAMBOA – 29 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal government will rewrite its agreements with local and state law agencies that enforce immigration laws, an Immigrations and Customs Enforcement official told a House panel Wednesday .

William Riley said the agency is circulating a draft contract that will more clearly explain the purpose of a controversial program known as 287(g).

ICE, which is part of the Homeland Security Department, currently has 67 agreements with local and state police agencies to enforce federal immigration laws.

Police participation in 287(g) began in 1996 and has escalated since 2006. As more agencies have signed on to the program, allegations of racial profiling and civil rights violations have risen.

The 287(g) program was the focus of a House Homeland Security Committee hearing Wednesday. The scrutiny follows a Government Accountability Office investigation that found immigration officials didn't clearly explain to officers how to use their arrest authority under the program, nor did they tell local officers that the program is meant for the pursuit of serious offenders.

Also, GAO found ICE failed to set up proper supervision or create a good data collection system to help determine whether the program is working.

Richard Stana, a GAO director, said that with 67 participating agencies "we ought to know now what we want out of these jurisdictions."

"This (immigrant) population is like any other population_ it has bad people in it. We have to identify the bad people and we have to deal with them," Stana said. "But if we spend a lot of time on people who aren't bad, there are other programs dealing with that."

Frederick County, Md., Sheriff Chuck Jenkins testified his officers have arrested 337 people who were in the country illegally. Of those, 309 were deported or left voluntarily.

"The 287(g) program is a strong and effective tool in safeguarding our national security at our borders," Jenkins said.

But Montgomery County, Md., Police Chief J. Thomas Manger said his office doesn't participate in the program because it undermines trust and cooperation between police and immigrants.

"Public safety increases when people have trust and confidence in their police," Manger said.

On the Net:
    House Homeland Security Committee: http://homeland.house.gov/
    Immigration and Customs Enforcement: http://www.ice.gov/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD96NHSE80
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Frederick County, Md., Sheriff Chuck Jenkins testified his officers have arrested 337 people who were in the country illegally. Of those, 309 were deported or left voluntarily.
    Sounds like a success to me! What more documentation does our Federal gov need! If our federal gov was doing its job, we wouldn't need extensive 287(g) programs across this country!

If the Feds are not careful, they might give the impression they do not want anyone to enforce our immigration laws in this country!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Obama and Napolitanio pass out handcuffs for 287(g) officers and futher prevent immigration enforcement.

Now officers are going to end up like Ramos and Compean, if they arrest an illegal alien that wasn't the "intended target". Like the crazy wife that beats them down, while they are hauling her husband off.

What's that three strikes for Obama and it hasn't even been 100 days?
    1 No E-Verify
    2 No New I-9 Forms
    3 287(g) restrictions

Nope! Make that at least 4.

No more Raids!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

From the SFGate Politics blog:
    Federal government takes a hard look at local police enforcement of immigration law

A federal program that deputized dozens of state and local police agencies to enforce immigration law is coming under new scrutiny in Washington, where government investigators say the Department of Homeland Security has failed to properly supervise its local partners or make clear that they are to go after serious criminals, not people stopped for speeding or public urination.

The House Homeland Security Committee has scheduled a hearing on the program for Wednesday afternoon. Last summer, the committee requested a Government Accountability Office investigation of the program, known as 287(g), and now it's expecting to hear about those findings.

Committee chair Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said he was concerned about accusations that the policing program has led to racial profiling, the Associated Press reported.

The GAO report found that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials had not clearly explained to their local partners that the program was supposed to target drug smugglers and other serious offenders. Instead, state and local law enforcement agencies have been stopping people for minor infractions and turning them over to ICE, according to the AP, which obtained an advance copy of the report.

The 287(g) arrangement gained particular notoriety from Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has paraded alleged illegal immigrants in chains and striped suits through downtown Phoenix. His actions recently led four members of Congress to call for an investigation.

Last week, Justice Strategies, a research and advocacy group, released its own scathing analysis, saying the immigration partnership takes local police away from their crime fighting mission. That assessment was echoed by the liberal Immigration Policy Center. The restrictionist Center for Immigration Studies, by contrast, has celebrated the program as a way to crack down on immigrant gangs.

Meanwhile Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has called for her agency to review 287(g) among other ICE programs. The debate is sure to heat up as the findings unfold.

Posted By: Tyche Hendricks (Email) | March 03 2009 at 05:45 PM

Listed Under: immigration | Comments (21) : Post Comment
    Comments

This is why Obama's appointments must go. Deport all illegal aliens you come in contact with. Our laws must be enforced. Since when are laws applied selectively? Looks like Obama is going to be a one term president. ILLEGALS GO HOME!

Posted By: stephen44 | March 03 2009 at 06:45 PM

My god. We need more enforcement, more cooperation between Feds and local agencies and this administration is looking to reduce it? We can only expect more illegal immigration if this occurs.

As economist and ethicist Adam Smith said, "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."

Everything you need to know about immigration and what to do about it humorously told.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBw1nUlf38I

(Roy Beck and NumbersUSA are the "gumaball" heroes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WJeqxuOfQ

Posted By: wandagb | March 03 2009 at 07:15 PM

test

Posted By: hartal | March 03 2009 at 08:59 PM

wandagb, the world is not a zero sum game, despite Smith's aphorism. What's needed is comprehensive immigration policy reform, along with the elimination of all anti-Mexican racism infecting the thinking of the yahoos who call for mass deportations.
    stephen44, laws are applied selectively all the time with regard to the wealthy and powerful, why are you getting annoyed only when it's possible that illegal Mexican immigrants might be the beneficiaries of selective enforcement?

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 03 2009 at 11:48 PM

dsgonzale6: Where did I say Mexican? I say illegal alien and YOU say Mexican. That's very typical. The term illegal alien doesn't specify a race or nationality. The pro amnesty crowd always cries racism when they can't defend illegal immigration. We are bankrupt. We can't support millions of illegal aliens that displace American workers. Go back to your country of origin and protest to that government to change things over THERE. We're full! ILLEGALS GO HOME!

Posted By: stephen44 | March 04 2009 at 04:35 AM

Many Europeans came here without legal authorization; but if they were worked for a year without incident, they found a path to citizenship. Many illegal immigrants have been here for some time, doing work for which there was not enough Americans and which Americans did not want to do. If they had not been here, capital would have been exported. Rather the capital was invested at home, and the needs of illegal workers became demand for services which in turn boosted employment here. The illegal workers also paid sales taxes and property taxes. Stop scapegoating. Stop denying Mexicans and Central Americans the same path citizenship Europeans once had.

Posted By: hartal | March 04 2009 at 07:18 AM

hartal, America did not have 300 million people living in it when the Europeans came here. I know,they are just poor farmers who need a brake. That is why people in Cal are being killed daily by gang bangers and your state is broke. Really, why have any borders at all? Your state is the prime example of Progressive (POLLYANNA) thinking.

Posted By: rfetp | March 04 2009 at 08:04 AM

To the open borders "I love humanity" crowd: What number between zero and 4 billion should be allowed to emigrate to the U.S.?
    If you didn't say zero you are, too, a restrictionist. Welcome to the club.

The world is overcrowded, and the least able are reproducing the fastest. Why should the U.S. amplify this by permitting mass immigration?

Posted By: wandagb | March 04 2009 at 08:30 AM

stephen44, you didn't have to say it, it's implicit in your anger. The fact remains that the illegal immigrants that anger you are Mexicans and other Latin Americans, especially when you start talking about the problems in their home country.
    wandagb, please tell us which "least able" are reproducing at higher numbers.
    It's comments like those that reveal the racism behind their masks. And when you point the finger of blame at others for crying racism, you once again prove that it's race that's your issue, not the general policy question.
    As long as there are folks like you two (and rfetp) who let their unspoken racism overpower their rationality, there will be no way to come up with a solution that deals with the real problems. There's a need for comprehensive immigration reform, and certainly borders need to be tighter to prevent harmful elements from entering, but the hate that fuels your motives destroys your credibility as agents for change.

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 04 2009 at 10:21 AM

Well said, dsg.
    Cheers, Neil.

Posted By: MadScotsman | March 04 2009 at 10:50 AM

Thank you, Neil.

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 04 2009 at 11:12 AM

dsgonzale6: If someone does not agree with you it is not racism. That old ploy no longer works, white guilt is dead forever. Enjoy your gangbangers and sky high taxes out there in Cal.

Posted By: rfetp | March 04 2009 at 12:52 PM

rfetp, as you are obviously too dense to comprehend, I have disagreed with folks without calling them racist. But racism is the issue here, even if they don't admit it--it permeates their views. Even in tough times, I prefer California to anywhere else, because it's able to adapt to new ideas and people, unlike where you are, which is apparently stuck in reverse.

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 04 2009 at 01:18 PM

Hey Dsgonzale6 are you really that concerned about racism or worried about the anger being projected and the true source of our nations frustrations? Lets not kids ourselves of course we are mainly speaking of Mexicans & Latinos - are the problems faced daily on our borders coming from Canadians ( eh?) or maybe it is from those pesty Russians or no Wiat maybe it is the Aboriginies - Yeah they are the ones I've seen gradually seep into MY 20+ years Construction industry and gradually drop the wages between Companies that untilize them, pesty Aboriginies and gradulayy changes the documentnation & training classes and contact persons at the front desk that speak Both English & Tongala (I mean Slovic sorry didnt mean to be rascist) and require that all crews have a somewhat translator to get the communication of daily missions thru to the hands in the field. Your type dont fool guys like me that have lived in the face of your objective for 20+ years in the owrk force - your objectives in Solely about your Heritage - Your Language - Viva La Raza Right - JUst like your top Echlon Leaders who have doen the same thing to our government agencies as they have done to our indsutries - Without a shot fired they have gradually Overpopulated the playing field - Pesty little Aboriginies - yo are the Racist and a Liar - you know where your heart lies and you Know what your Objectives truly are - you dont care about this countries history or it's Mutinational Contributions - you have but onwe concern and one focus - LA Raza

Posted By: Eyesopen100 | March 04 2009 at 03:09 PM

Bank robbery is a Federal crime, but that doesn't make it an issue for local police forces to respond to bank robberies. As far as I'm concerned, everyone involved in law enforcement, including armed park rangers, should have the power to arrest an illegal alien. Any illegal alien from Mexico, for example, should be put upon one of a squadron of cargo vessels (whichever one is leaving New Orleans, Tampa, Houston, or Galveston, within 48 hours of the individual's being determined to be illegal), and hauled down to Merida, the capitol of the Yucatan (HINT: Merida is a very long ways away from the U.S.-Mexican border). They'd get the idea soon enough, especially if we also gave law enforcement officers the power to arrest those who employ illegal aliens, and for the courts to levy punishment on such offenders.

Posted By: Kevin_OKeeffe | March 04 2009 at 03:12 PM

When 12 million Americans are looking for jobs to feed and shelter their families and the unemployment numbers are rising at over 500,000 a month, we seriously need to eliminate the 8 million plus illegal aliens that currently hold American jobs and that are sending $60 billion a year out of our devastated economy to their homelands. The Feds are doing a minuscule amount in enforcing immigration laws and certainly need every bit of help they can get on the local level with the 287g program. What will never be accepted by Americans is another amnesty like the failed 1986 amnesty. Never again!

Posted By: Estoban | March 04 2009 at 03:13 PM

eyesopen, didn't you see my comment about comprehensive immigration reform and secure borders, or were you too busy drawing Pancho Villa mustaches on Gavin Newsom's photos?
    Kevin, you make my points for me, thank you.
    Estoban, "elimination" is a strong word, but I guess you must know what you're saying, right? Final solution time, eh?

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 04 2009 at 03:20 PM

dsgonzale6 - What ever litte clever - like i said you are not fooling anyone - I have Fought beside all races, work with and for all Races, grew up playing with all races - and some little smirky puke like you in these blogs always tries to get your soft spoken word in and tryto make others oyut to be wither a rascist or a hater. Yeah immigration reform My Assssssss - to late for reform what we need is law enforcement and America united resistance that seems to be getting some steam lately Baby - Keep on stroking the issues with your retoric and little name calling and the people living the real everyday in our face out loud examples of the real everyday outloud in our face reality will finally get enough of your types- by that I mean nothing or your hertiage but i mean is the Lying Misleading agenda pushers and the top will topple - Good day Liar

Posted By: Eyesopen100 | March 04 2009 at 03:30 PM

dsgonzalez6 wrote: "Estoban, "elimination" is a strong word, but I guess you must know what you're saying, right? Final solution time, eh?"
    -----------
    English is a beautiful language! Eliminate, as in deport back to home country, whether it be Ireland, Russia, Mexico, China, India or Sudan.

Posted By: Estoban | March 04 2009 at 03:47 PM

Nevermind Estoban - DGon 6is a typical blogger that comes in these forums and picks apart words that people with a little bit of common sense can not let themselves be confused - we all knew what elimination means - it is like Firing their asses right? not actually eliminating them - Dgon6 is very typical Agenda driven wanta be - You go the right Idea Estoban we need to stay Focused and United in our Coutries Concern - Forget Reform - we need to actually START enforceing the laws taht are already on the books - Why keep writing more laws when very effective laws already exsist but are being ignored by a Agenda Driven Government - WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO DO OUR OWN SPEAKING - WITH OUR EVERYDAY ACTIONS OF RESISTANCE jsut like they do

Posted By: Eyesopen100 | March 04 2009 at 03:55 PM

Thanks, guys, for establishing the lameness of your position for me, I couldn't have done it better myself.

Posted By: dsgonzale6 | March 04 2009 at 04:02 PM
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfg ... y_id=36530

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Minor offenses trip up illegals

Minor offenses trip up illegals
    ICE program meant to catch perpetrators of serious crimes
    Audrey Hudson (Contact)
    Thursday, March 5, 2009

An immigration program designed to help local police arrest illegal immigrants committing serious crimes and process them for deportation is instead being used to target minor offenses such as drinking and speeding, a government study reported Wednesday.

Part of the problem in the Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) program is that "ICE does not have a definition of 'serious crime,'" said William Riley, acting director of the ICE Office of State and Local Coordination.

The report delivered to the House Homeland Security Committee examined the program called "287 g" and found that memorandums of understanding signed with dozens of local law enforcement agencies contained vague language that failed to articulate how participating agencies could use their authority.

"As a result, some participating agencies are using their 287 g authority to process for removal aliens who have committed minor offenses, such as speeding, carrying an open container of alcohol, and urinating in public," the Government Accountability Office report said.

"None of these crimes fall into the category of serious criminal activity that ICE officials described to us as the type of crime the 287 g program is expected to pursue," the report said.

Montgomery County Police Chief J. Thomas Manger testifies on Capitol Hill on Wednesday with Government Accountability Office spokesman Richard Stana and Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins. Chief Manger said local agencies may not have resources to enforce a "federal responsibility."

After Mr. Riley's statement to the committee that there is no definition in place for "serious crime," committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, Mississippi Democrat, questioned how the program's effectiveness could be evaluated for continued support and funding.

"If we have memorandums of understanding to stop and apprehend serious criminals, but we can't define what a serious crime is, how can we measure anything?" Mr. Thompson said.

"I am concerned about the focus of the program," Mr. Riley responded.

Mr. Thompson and Montgomery County Police Chief J. Thomas Manger say the program promotes profiling.

Richard Stana, GAO spokesman, told the panel that the program is "controversial and polarizing."

Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins defended the program to the panel and said his department's first arrest in Maryland last year was for driving intoxicated through a school zone during school hours.

"What's worse, if a person is driving drunk through a school zone with a violent past? Is that any worse than a drug dealer? How do you recognize the worst of the worst?" Sheriff Jenkins said.

"It depends on if it is your kids who are in that schoolyard," answered Rep. Mike D. Rogers, a Republican from Alabama who says the program is working well in his state.

The 287 g program was created in 1996 to apprehend illegal immigrants involved in violent and serious crimes by partnering ICE with local police to identify, locate and arrest the suspects.

The GAO report audited nearly 30 of almost 70 local law enforcement agencies enrolled in the program and found that 43,000 illegal immigrants were arrested last year.

In Frederick County, 337 arrestees have been identified through the program as being in the U.S. illegally, while 309 have been placed into removal proceedings. Of those, nine were members of the notoriously violent gangs MS-13 and 18th Street from El Salvador, Sheriff Jenkins said.

"Among those arrested and identified were a Nicaraguan military-trained sniper and a Salvadoran guerrilla fighter trained in knife fighting," Sheriff Jenkins said.

Sheriff Jenkins said others arrested under the program were accused of attempted murder, rape, armed robbery, assault, child abuse, burglary and possession of counterfeit U.S. currency.

"I strongly believe I am representing the voice of America. The citizens of the United States clearly are frustrated with the problems associated with illegal immigration including the crime, national security risks, and the associated economic risks," Sheriff Jenkins said. "Detractors and opponents of the [program] will say they want nothing done."

Chief Manger told the panel many police agencies are increasingly declining to join the program.

"It undermines the trust and cooperation with immigrant communities that are essential elements of community policing," Chief Manger said.

He said local law enforcement agencies also are concerned that they do not have the financial resources to enforce a "federal responsibility."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... es/?page=2
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So if you get here you are home safe!! No one will bother you!!

We better start writing congress and ask just how they plan on enforcing the laws!

"This (immigrant) population is like any other population_ it has bad people in it. We have to identify the bad people and we have to deal with them," Stana said. "But if we spend a lot of time on people who aren't bad, there are other programs dealing with that."
    Just what other programs deal with non-criminal illegals aliens? does anyone know?????
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)