Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Houston policy on immigration status to be re-examined

HPD policy on immigration status to be re-examinedNo changes planned just yet
    By Miya Shay
    (12/19/05 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - Their job is to serve and protect. But another responsibility could be asked of Houston police officers -- cracking down on illegal immigrants

For more than a decade, HPD's policy has been to not ask anyone about their immigration status. But now Mayor Bill White is asking the police chief to consider possible changes.
    The mayor has been under considerable pressure to change the police policy. He has now asked Chief Harold Hurtt to look into the policy. Hurtt has not been asked to change it, but to evaluate the policy at this time.

Immigration reform activist Juan Alvarez and his wife are passing out flyers informing day laborers of their civil rights. He says keeping laborers safe is already an uphill battle, and if the Houston Police Department changes its policy, safety among Houston's Hispanic population will be greatly compromised.

"Promoting safety is a big risk right now," Alvarez asserted. "Because if they change the policy, everybody is going to suffer. No Hispanic community is going to report crimes to the police department."

Alvarez's point is one reason why the Houston police officers generally do not ask people about their immigration status. Still, the fact that HPD is looking at the policy is good news for outgoing council member Mark Ellis.

He said, "I think it's a step in the right direction."

But just reviewing the policy isn't good enough for members of the Minutemen organization.

"When you detect that someone has no proof of identification, has no driver's license, has no insurance, doesn't speak English, then you need to go one step further and ask them to provide documentation that they're in this country legally," said Chuck Ratliff with the Houston Minutemen.

HPD, though, is far from that point and until the department either reaffirms or alters its position, Juan Alvarez will continue his work educating day laborers.

No decisions of any kind are expected until early next year. The debate, however, will continue.
    (Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=3741319
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Re: Houston policy on immigration status to be re-examined

The mayor has been under considerable pressure to change the police policy.
    Hey!! NOW that's progress in the Town of Bush!!

GO HOUSTON!! GO HOUSTON!!

Immigration reform activist Juan Alvarez and his wife are passing out flyers informing day laborers of their civil rights. He says keeping laborers safe is already an uphill battle, and if the Houston Police Department changes its policy, safety among Houston's Hispanic population will be greatly compromised.
    Does "day laborers" only compute to "Hispanics"? Why would that be in the United States? Where are white day laborers and black day laborers?

My community in North Carolina has day laborers. They are registered with the local employment security office. As many as you could want or need are available with a phone call to the local ESC office. We used this type of labor on a construction renovation project because due to the nature of the work, we didn't always know in advance how many people we would need for how many hours or how many days. We had a permanent crew plus the day labor. They were white, black and legal citizens. We could not have completed our project without them. They were great; worked hard; and didn't complain about anything no matter how hot it was; how cold it was; how hard the work was; how dirty the work was. They were disappointed when the project was over and I wished with all my heart I had a business that could hire them permanently.

So, what's your deal Houston?

Where are your white and black legal citizens at waiting for day labor work? And don't tell me you don't have them. I've been to Houston and I know better.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal alien day laborers are in direct competition with those thousands of Katrina refugees who are also in the day labor market.
    It is high time that the illegal alien day laborers be discouraged and their employers are punished.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Right on!!

Americans are being left in the lurch by this illegal hispanic pandering, it has to stop and stop now.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"When you detect that someone has no proof of identification, has no driver's license, has no insurance, doesn't speak English, then you need to go one step further and ask them to provide documentation that they're in this country legally," said Chuck Ratliff with the Houston Minutemen.

Right JB...well "duh"!!