Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Alien Dishwasher checks $59k at Airport

Mistake costs dishwasher $59,000

Guatemala native Pedro Zapeta a dishwasher in the U.S. for 11 years

The illegal immigrant tried to bring $59,000 in savings back to Guatemala

U.S. customs seized cash when Zapeta failed to fill out form declaring money

Zapeta, who tried to get the money back for two years, now faces deportation

From John Zarrella and Patrick Oppmann
    CNN

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- For 11 years, Pedro Zapeta, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, lived his version of the American dream in Stuart, Florida: washing dishes and living frugally to bring money back to his home country.

Pedro Zapeta, an illegal immigrant, managed to save $59,000 while working as a dishwasher for 11 years.

1 of 2 Two years ago, Zapeta was ready to return to Guatemala, so he carried a duffel bag filled with $59,000 -- all the cash he had scrimped and saved over the years -- to the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

But when Zapeta tried to go through airport security, an officer spotted the money in the bag and called U.S. customs officials.

"They asked me how much money I had," Zapeta recalled, speaking to CNN in Spanish.

He told the customs officials $59,000. At that point, U.S. customs seized his money, setting off a two-year struggle for Zapeta to get it back. Zapeta describes how he lost his money »

Zapeta, who speaks no English, said he didn't know he was running afoul of U.S. law by failing to declare he was carrying more than $10,000 with him. Anyone entering or leaving the country with more than $10,000 has to fill out a one-page form declaring the money to U.S. customs.

Officials initially accused Zapeta of being a courier for the drug trade, but they dropped the allegation once he produced pay stubs from restaurants where he had worked. Zapeta earned $5.50 an hour at most of the places where he washed dishes. When he learned to do more, he got a 25-cent raise.

After customs officials seized the money, they turned Zapeta over to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The INS released him but began deportation proceedings. For two years, Zapeta has had two attorneys working pro bono: one on his immigration case, the other trying to get his money back.

"They are treating me like a criminal when all I am is a working man," he said.

'Out in the Open'
    The latest on Pedro Zapeta's case is brought "Out in the Open" on Friday night on CNN.
    At 8 p.m. ET Friday

Zapeta's story became public last year on CNN and in The Palm Beach Post newspaper, prompting well-wishers to give him nearly $10,000 -- money that now sits in a trust.

Robert Gershman, one of Zapeta's attorneys, said federal prosecutors later offered his client a deal: He could take $10,000 of the original cash seized, plus $9,000 in donations as long as he didn't talk publicly and left the country immediately.

Zapeta said, "No." He wanted all his money. He'd earned it, he said.

Now, according to Gershman, the Internal Revenue Service wants access to the donated cash to cover taxes on the donations and on the money Zapeta made as a dishwasher. Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.

CNN contacted the U.S. Attorneys office in Miami, U.S. Customs and the IRS about Zapeta's case. They all declined to comment.

Don't Miss
    Census: Education divide among immigrant groups
    Marisol Zequeira, an immigration lawyer, said illegal immigrants such as Zapeta have few options when dealing with the U.S. government.

"When you are poor, uneducated and illegal, your avenues are cut," he said.

On Wednesday, Zapeta went to immigration court and got more bad news. The judge gave the dishwasher until the end of January to leave the country on his own. He's unlikely to see a penny of his money.

"I am desperate," Zapeta said. "I no longer feel good about this country."

Zapeta said his goal in coming to the United States was to make enough money to buy land in his mountain village and build a home for his mother and sisters. He sent no money back to Guatemala over the years, he said, and planned to bring it all home at once.

At Wednesday's hearing, Zapeta was given official status in the United States -- voluntary departure -- and a signed order from a judge. For the first time, he can work legally in the U.S.

By the end of January, Zapeta may be able to earn enough money to pay for a one-way ticket home so the U.S. government, which seized his $59,000, doesn't have to do so. E-mail to a friend

All About U.S. Customs and Border Protection

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/immigr ... newssearch

11 Years later he still doesn't know he's a criminal and CAN NOT SPEAK ENGLISH
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Comes here illegal. Has enough money to send home and live on and saves 59,000 dollars. Does something sound funny? I wonder how much tax's he paid on the money he made? Nearly all illegals have enough money (Billions a year) to send home but they don't have enough money to pay for their own Dr. and hospital bills. Americans get stuck paying!

Zapeta, who speaks no English,
    He's been in the country for 11 years, and he speaks no English?

Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.
    How can this man claim to be a besotten victim? WE'RE the victims...the victims of a man committing illegal acts.

"I am desperate," Zapeta said. "I no longer feel good about this country."
    Hmm, let's see...you came to this country illegally, you worked under the table and paid no taxes, you lived like a pauper here and sent the majority of your earnings to another country. Guess what? WE no longer feel good about YOU.

You can go home now.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Robert Gershman, one of Zapeta's attorneys, said federal prosecutors later offered his client a deal: He could take $10,000 of the original cash seized, plus $9,000 in donations as long as he didn't talk publicly and left the country immediately.

This is the part that got me. This greedy, criminal, dummy has the nerve to refuse any form of compromise. They should lock this moron up in solitary confinement, give all the money including the donations from strangers to the IRS and throw away the key.

Now, according to Gershman, the Internal Revenue Service wants access to the donated cash to cover taxes on the donations and on the money Zapeta made as a dishwasher. Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.
    At the end of the CNN segment, Raza boy Rick Sanchez had the nerve to argue that at the very least WE should feel sorry for this criminal and let him keep his money. I hate the sight of Rick Sanchez.

I would like to know how someone can live here 11 years and not speak english.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyCountry
    I would like to know how someone can live here 11 years and not speak english.
    I am always amazed when I read about or encounter this weird phenomenon. I live in the Chicago area and there are enclaves of people who have been here for decades and speak NO ENGLISH. There are enclaves of Polish people in Illinois who have been here for decades, do not speak any English, own property and do not rent to anyone outside of their "enclave".

[Sarcasm]: "But I'm ENTITLED TO MY MONEY!!!" (Not!)

Let's count the crimes this individual committed here:

1. Entered US illegally
    2. Worked without legal permission
    3. Violated IRS/Tax law
    4. Identity Theft/Document Fraud (?)
    5. Failure to Declare Property upon Exiting the US

Oh, sure - I think we should reward all people that commit an array
    of crimes with the proceeds of their crime.... NOT!

He's wrong. These are the proceeds of criminal activity. By holding to such a stubborn and unrealistic position, he just guaranteed that now he won't see anything in return.

Most importantly: why is he not being prosecuted for the work-related crimes? Which SSN did he 'use'? Who did he work for?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not defending the fact that this guy came here illegally, but I think there are bigger fish to fry.

On the positive side, this guy did not bring a wife and 6 kids here to leech off the system. He didn't pay taxes, but then he didn't earn enough to actually require paying Federal income tax. He apparently did not use someone else's SSN. He doesn't appear to have a criminal record. He was a lowly dishwasher who probably didn't take a job from an American. And he just wanted to make enough to go back to Guatamala and take care of his family. He didn't send any money to his family for 11 years because he wanted to bring it all back when he left the US. He obviously was not aware of the fact that he was supposed to declare anything over $10,000. But he was leaving the US...probably forever.

If this guy did not defraud the system and worked 11 years of his life as a dishwasher, I say let him keep all of his money so that he can have a decent life in his home country. That's all.

He was probably on his way to launder the money in guatamala.

Eleven years and doesn't speak English??? Either shows how little of a need there was for him to assimilate, or he is lying! Any other country he would have leaned the language through osmosis
    "Â*An appeaser is someone who feds a crocidile hoping to be eaten last " Winston Churchill

The money, and all like it, should go to programs to help CITIZENS of the country that have been put into poverty because they used to do "jobs that American's won't" but can no longer get those jobs because of job markets flooded by illegal employees that will do them for less "base pay" while still getting to have take home pay equal to or greater than the take home pay of legal employees.

(oh.... Hi ya'll! From the newcomer )
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast