Illegal border crossers break into homes, steal food
Dec 1, 2005, 11:38 AM EST Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

"I've had them knock on my door. I give them food and water. I know, I'm not supposed to, but they are human beings," a resident says.

Illegal border crossers break into homes, steal food

They're not after electronics or other valuables.

Not at all.

They'll blow right past those high-dollar items to steal something else.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Deputy Carlos Montoya says, "...mainly food, clothes, socks, shoes, blankets."

Deputy Montoya believes it's illegal border crossers who are responsible for three home burglaries so far this week.

Evelyn Fleming, one of the break-in victims, is replacing the milk that was stolen from her motor home.

"I just got to go to the store. There was a lot of food in our fridge. They took meat, cheese, tortillas, eggs, things like that. Miracle Whip didn't make a lot of sense," Fleming says.

Another home in the area was also broken into and similar items were taken as well.

According to Sheriff Tony Estrada, the Sonita area is well known to drug and people smugglers.

"As a result of the contingency and the presence of Border Patrol in the downtown area, they're using canyons and valleys a lot more frequently," Estrada says.

Deputies say, often times, the smugglers leave their human cargo out in the desert and, to survive, they break into homes.

"It's sad. it's tragic, obviously, but that's life on the border and illegal immigration issue and what we are facing now."

Another resident says she's had no problems with illegal border crossers.

"I've had them knock on my door. I give them food and water. I know, I'm not supposed to, but they are human beings," a resident says.

In a number of cases, expensive electronic equipment was in plain sight but left behind.

Evelyn Fleming says some of her jewelry was stolen and so was some cash.

She felt violated and she says she would have gladly given them food and water had they just asked.

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4186240&nav=HMO6HMaW