Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrants

Illegal immigrants
    12/1/2005 7:47:12 PM
    Daily Journal

Security on the border with Mexico has sizzled to the top of the charts for speeches and politics, with President Bush standing at the apex with a lengthy new plan for reducing the number of illegals slipping across the border stretching from southern California to southern coastal Texas.

Illegal immigration by Mexicans and via Mexico is a major problem, but some of the urgency is spoken with eyes on the 2006 mid-term elections.

Mississippi, whose Hispanic population is growing by leaps and bounds in some counties, has a definite stake in what's decided.

Among other issues, Mississippi's economic interests wonder what should be done about illegal immigrants already living in the United States and working in industries like furniture manufacturing in Northeast Mississippi - and visibly in some lower-wage jobs other workers apparently find unattractive.

Illegal immigration feeds off Mexico's ubiquitous poverty. If Mexico prospered, its citizens would not walk and run by the tens of thousands every year, at significant personal risk, to work largely at the bottom of the economy in the United States.

Illegal Mexican immigration won't cease as a problem - with a fence, without a fence, with a few more guards or a million more guards - until household prosperity becomes the rule and not the exception in Mexico.

U.S. government policies don't seriously address the issue of long-term Mexican development, but they should.

We believe it will be difficult, perhaps impossible, to honestly address illegal immigration while policies and practices at least tacitly encourage illegal immigrants to work in the United States.

Cheap labor always is popular with somebody, and if serious sanctions aren't imposed on people who illegally employ illegals that problem will continue feeding the urge to immigrate.

People who seek to become permanent residents should be steered intentionally toward citizenship - assimilated with a required knowledge of English, the prevailing American language in the public sector, commerce and everyday life.

If illegals aren't assimilated into citizenship they will remain marginalized legally, culturally and economically.

Most Americans should be able easily to understand why people risk themselves to gain a foothold in the U.S. The ancestors of the vast American majority immigrated in the 17th through 20th centuries because our nation offered two things above all else: freedom and opportunity to escape whatever economic or ideological circumstance bound them in their former countries.

Immigration policy should be based on bringing to citizenship those who seek the economic and legal benefits of our society. If not citizens, those who reside and work here will neither gain full benefits nor fully bear their fair share of citizen responsibility.

We are a nation of immigrants, but we cannot, must not be a nation of opportunistic aliens.

To join an online discussion of this topic, log on to www.djournal.com, or respond at opinion@djournal.com for publication as a letter to the editor.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp ... iv=Opinion
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

People who seek to become permanent residents should be steered intentionally toward citizenship - assimilated with a required knowledge of English, the prevailing American language in the public sector, commerce and everyday life.

If illegals aren't assimilated into citizenship they will remain marginalized legally, culturally and economically.
    This says it all, doesn't it Scub??? I wish I had seen that while I could still ARGUE with BUTTHEAD. Excuse me, I mean BURGHART.

WHY is this concept so difficult to understand?? WHY am I called a RACIST because I believe this to be THE ONLY way an immigrant TRULY WANTS to be in MY COUNTRY??? I am just SO baffled by the accusations hurled at me because I simply want any immigrant that comes to our country to BE a part of the AMERICAN CULTURE. If they are ONLY coming here to suck the system dry and don't WANT to be here for any other reason, I want them GONE. I am NOT a racist. I am a REALIST.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton