Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Full of inaccuracies

This article is full of inaccuracies used to throw mud on Indian H1B workers.

Inaccuracy #1

Faisal Amin - purported member of Indian community, South Asian Chamber of Commerce

The author presents this this fellow as a representative of the Indian community. But hold on, he is not. As a Google search will confirm, he is in fact Pakistani - and in no way a member of the Indian community.

The tip-off is in the fact that he is a member of a "South Asian" organization. As anyone from the Indian community will confirm, the term South Asian is used by Pakistanis trying to pass themselves off as Indian. The Indian community views it as borderline insulting when referring to Indians similar to how Americans would resent having to share space with Mexicans under a blanket North American term.

Inaccuracy #2 - Unsupported conclusions and speculation

The author dedicates 4 paragraphs on H1B workers. But eventually is only able to present an ASYLEE and a tourist as exhibits. Since the author claims that a lot of these illegals are past H1Bs, there should be no issues finding one, should there? The implication that he cannot find anyone is that there are none.

Inaccuracy #3 - ''There are no jobs" in India, said Kour. ''That's why so many Indian people are coming here."

ROFL. Obviously these folks don't know what they are talking about. Go to Monster India or www.naukri.com and check out how many jobs are posted for yourself.

''There are no jobs" in India, said Kour. ''That's why so many Indian people are coming here."
    That is India's problem, not ours! You cant come here and STEAL American jobs!

Of course illegal immigration from India is rising. Look no further than the fact that our government is GIVING AWAY H1B VISAS.
    How dare the Microsoft Devil claims we need to hand out more H1B's. Bill Gates should be deported.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yet I have run into the issue of H-1B visa overstays, both on Immigration Voice and elsewhere. According to the law, they are supposed to leave within 10 days if they fall 'out of status' but nobody enforces that. So there are some living in the shadows, doing contract work, taking jobs where their docs aren't checked, and surviving in various ways.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    Yet I have run into the issue of H-1B visa overstays, both on Immigration Voice and elsewhere. According to the law, they are supposed to leave within 10 days if they fall 'out of status' but nobody enforces that. So there are some living in the shadows, doing contract work, taking jobs where their docs aren't checked, and surviving in various ways.
    You are confusing out-of-status with unlawful presence. Someone who is unlawfully present is an illegal immigrant.

An H1B worker who loses his job for any reason is immediately "out of status" at that moment. However he is not unlawfully present unless he stays beyond the term on his I-94 card. The 10 day period you have heard about refers to a small period of authorized stay beyond the expiry of the H1B visa itself. It is given so that people can work the last day of their authorized employment and then leave the US in the following 10 days.

This article has a good explanation about the distinction between out-of-status and unlawful presence.

http://www.murthy.com/news/UD02unpr.html

Unlawful presence, under current interpretation, is counted from either the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay indicated on the I-94 (arrival / departure card) or at the time the INS or Immigration Judge determines the person to be out of status. For example, a person could be out of status as an H1B after having been laid off from work but, unless the INS or the Immigration Judge makes a specific ruling regarding the individual's status, the person is not unlawfully present until the I-94 expires.

BRoss,

I think it's Congressman King's office that has said that about 40% of the illegal aliens are Visa overstays.

They should announce what countries are the biggest offenders and refuse to give them visas for three years because their countrymen don't know how to behave when they get here.

America needs to really crack down and start having some serious consiquences for bad behavior.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The DHS report has some surprises. In percentage terms, Europe and South America had the fastest growing illegal immigrant populations in the US between 2000 and 2006. South America is understandable, but Europe is a complete surprise and is probably explainable due to the easy access provided by the visa waiver program.

Growth in illegal immigrant population (2000-2006)

Europe - 67%
    South America - 67%
    North America - 38%
    Asia - 17%

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2006.pdf

My information was that they were supposed to leave after 10 days. If that is true, what makes it ok for them to stay longer? Sounds like two contradictory laws here, creating a loophole. I keep going back to the original intent of the H-1B program. There needs to be an audit of companies that made heavy, long-term use of this visa and pointed questions asked about why they haven't found or trained (yes, American companies used to train all the time) an American in all these years?

Then certain companies should be barred from further use of the program. Furthermore, H-1Bs should only be issued for on-site work, not contractor type work where the worker is employed by one firm but works at another site. This restriction was already enacted for the L-1. That would put the bodyshops out of business so far as the US was concerned.

Implications of Rise of india and china.. Read the last parts of this presentation

http://specials.rediff.com/money/2007/sep/12sld1.htm

India needs to develop internally. There should be no reason for an Indian to scheme to elbow an American worker aside so that he can get a job processing data or mortgages for Americans when he can get a job in India serving Indians. Surely there is data to be processed in India.

The rise of the rupee will change the economic equation that rewards businesses for sending out jobs and bringing foreign workers in. It already has. I read somewhere that when the rupee is thirty-something to the dollar, Nasscom's party is over. The RBI tinkers with the exchange rate now and then, but the forces pushing the rupee up and the dollar down are far stronger.

The rise in fuel cost and the coming scarcity of fuel should change the equation for Chinese goods to be hauled here. I keep waiting for that to happen.

I wish I could find a blog I stumbled on over the weekend, where someone explains in plain English how this quest for cheaper goods and labor is really a quest to push off the true cost of goods and labor onto someone else. Like the way Wal Mart was said to post directions in employee lounges about applying for publicly funded benefits for poor people, because they paid so little.

Unfortunately world does not run in the way we want. It has its own dynamics I beleive.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    India needs to develop internally. .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast