Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

I'm No 'Anchor Baby,' I'm an American

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_a ... da305f642e

I'm No 'Anchor Baby,' I'm an American
    Youth Commentary, Ricardo Vargas,
    New America Media, Feb 17, 2006

Editor's Note: Congress is debating several immigration proposals, including one that would keep children of undocumented immigrants from becoming citizens. New America Media contributor Ricardo Vargas, 22, is a writer for Silicon Valley De-Bug (www.siliconvalleydebug.com), a NAM project. His name has been changed.

SAN JOSE, Calif.--America has hit rock bottom in the immigration debate. Not satisfied with "cracking down" on people who enter this country without authorization, some in Congress now want to take away the right to citizenship of American-born children of undocumented immigrants.

As the son of an undocumented immigrant, and as an American citizen by birth, I know the power that citizenship gives me. I also know what taking it away would mean to a generation of children of immigrants.

The Citizenship Reform Act, currently in subcommittee in the House, is un-American. It goes against the 14th Amendment, which says, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States." This provision was designed to protect freed slaves. Now it feels like undocumented immigrants are America's new slave class. This country depends on our labor but does not want to afford us the protections of law.

The bill is based on the belief that undocumented immigrants came here with an evil plan to have babies, so those babies can sponsor their parents for citizenship once they become 21. This might sound like an irrational plan, but enough people believe in it that they've even given children born here to undocumented parents a name -- "anchor babies."

I didn't realize I had a different status from my mother until I was a teenager. We were coming back from a visit to Mexico. My mom's visa had expired just weeks earlier. When we were going through customs, an immigration official told my mother she could not come in because she was a "foreigner." My mom had to stay in Mexico for a year. I had to live with my aunt and uncle during that time. Not having papers can rip a family apart.

Some people say that if the American-born children of immigrants are denied automatic citizenship, it's no big deal -- they can just "go through the process" and apply for citizenship. Those who make this suggestion have no idea how long, expensive and often fruitless that process can be. After my mother came back from that trip to Mexico, she tried to get her visa renewed but was rejected. So now her status is in limbo -- she has her own real social security number but doesn't have a green card.

Then there's my grandmother. After years of waiting, she finally got a letter in the email telling her that her naturalization application had been accepted. Unfortunately, she had died a few months earlier.

I can imagine how my life would be if I were not a citizen. I would be like my undocumented family members and friends -- unable to get a good job, a driver's license or financial aid for college. For sure I would not be able to express myself as I would like. When you are a citizen and you don't agree with the system, you are a "liberal." When you're undocumented and you don't agree, you are a "terrorist."

If they stripped me of my citizenship, I'd lose my job at the packaging company, which gives me medical and dental benefits and a 401k plan. I would have to work into old age -- retirement would never be an option. I would not be able to get credit, so a nice car or a house would be beyond my reach. I might be at the mercy of a bad employer who would try to hustle me.

These essential things -- a job, a house, a future -- are the American way of living. Take away my citizenship and I'd lose all that too. But even if they took away my documents, I am an American.

With or without documents, my mother is too -- as American as they come. She is always sending money to the war veterans and cancer foundations. She even likes playing Texas Hold 'Em. She works 20 hours a day, seven days a week, trying to save money to pay her immigration lawyer.

The Citizenship Reform Act makes me think of those bad horror movies from the 1950s, except instead of evil space aliens it features evil immigrant aliens. The fear that drives it is ironic. This country -- now supposedly protecting its people from immigrants -- was built by, and is still held up by, immigrants.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof,
    and here we are with that phrase again. Subject to the jurisdiction thereof. Citizens of Mexico are NOT subject to the jurisdiction of US laws. Period. Therefore their medical condition, pregnancy, isn't our problem, either. The kid is NOT a citizen.

I think it is the MOTHER'S responsibility to see that her family isn't torn apart. One way to do that would be to stay in her own country to have her kids.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I didn't realize I had a different status from my mother until I was a teenager. We were coming back from a visit to Mexico. My mom's visa had expired just weeks earlier. When we were going through customs, an immigration official told my mother she could not come in because she was a "foreigner." My mom had to stay in Mexico for a year. I had to live with my aunt and uncle during that time. Not having papers can rip a family apart.
    So if you hadn't been an anchor baby, you would have stayed home in Mexico with mom, preventing your family from being "ripped apart".

Help keep families together. Eliminate the anchor baby law. It's the humanitarian thing to do.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Not having papers can rip a family apart.
    tough!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The bill is based on the belief that undocumented immigrants came here with an evil plan to have babies, so those babies can sponsor their parents for citizenship once they become 21. This might sound like an irrational plan, but enough people believe in it that they've even given children born here to undocumented parents a name -- "anchor babies."
    Well, duh!!! That is exactly why many illegal alien families try to have children here, to prey on the compassion of the immigration system to allow them to stay legally in the country until the child becomes an adult, then the child can sponsor them for Legal Permanent Resident status and eventual citizenship. Sorry Ricardo, but the truth is that your illegal alien mother probably used you as her ticket to stay in this country. Such parents are exploiting their own children.

Some people say that if the American-born children of immigrants are denied automatic citizenship, it's no big deal -- they can just "go through the process" and apply for citizenship. Those who make this suggestion have no idea how long, expensive and often fruitless that process can be. After my mother came back from that trip to Mexico, she tried to get her visa renewed but was rejected. So now her status is in limbo -- she has her own real social security number but doesn't have a green card.
    The American born children of legal immigrants are given citizenship, because they are under the legal jurisdiction of the United States. Ricardo confuses the status of legally present immigrants and illegal aliens. Now, for anyone to legally immigrate to this country, that is a big deal, and they do have to "go through the process." Why do illegal aliens think they should somehow be exempt from this process.

Personally, I've been going through this process of legally immigrating my wife and her children to the U.S. for nearly 3 years now. It is a long, expensive, and often tiring process, but it what the law requires and my wife and I respect that. I cannot express (without profane explitive) how sick and tired I am of the sniveling and whinning of illegal aliens who think they have special inherent right to disregard the laws that millions of honorable LEGAL Immigrants have followed to be admitted to this nation.

So, Ricardo, My family too is in limbo, but I can accept that and I am not gonna cry about it. Your family has a problem because your mother flaunted the law, I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

To everyone who has responded to this thread, exept Brian503a:

Are you talking and arguing to an article?

If you haven't noticed, the person talking in the article did not come here to post it, and I dont think he will.

What's the point of you guys responding then?
    I didn't want to be rude or anything, I'm just curious.
    -You are always right until proven wrong.

If you haven't noticed, the person talking in the article did not come here to post it, and I dont think he will.

I didn't want to be rude or anything, I'm just curious
    Yes, I noticed, so..................

The purpose of this forum is to post imformative articles and to provide for discussion, to support or refute points made in the article or made by other responders. Yeah, I responded in first person, not third person. But I think most readers get that. My understanding was that we could discuss the postings freely, within the rules. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by legal4mykidsfuture

I didn't want to be rude or anything, I'm just curious
    Yes, I noticed, so..................

The purpose of this forum is to post imformative articles and to provide for discussion, to support or refute points made in the article or made by other responders. Yeah, I responded in first person, not third person. But I think most readers get that. My understanding was that we could discuss the postings freely, within the rules. Is that a problem?
    It's not a problem and feel free to leave a comment or opinion about an article. That's part of the purpose of the forum. It is interesting to read what others think.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you, Brian503a.

And, what a fantastic job you do in digging up and posting so many informative articles on the issue.

As for your "ugly avatar", it says all we need to know about George

legal4mykidsfuture,

Thank you for the compliments and you're welcome!

The avatar helps show my appreciation on what George has done for the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast