Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    I trust Maria Garcia and her co-workers at the LA clerks office for an honest count
    I know, right?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

latimesblogs
    Jamiel's Law fails to qualify for ballot
    10:41 AM, December 11, 2008

Supporters of a proposed Los Angeles voter initiative that would allow police to arrest illegal-immigrant gang members solely for being in the country illegally failed to collect enough petition signatures to qualify the measure for the May ballot, officials said today.

Only 18,559 signed petitions were turned in – a fraction of the 73,963 required, said Jinny Pak, of the Los Angeles City Clerk’s office. Officials in the elections office didn’t even bother to sample the petitions to determine how many of the signatures were valid registered voters because so few were turned in, she said. Backers of the proposed law can continue to circulate petitions to qualify the measure for a future ballot.

Read the rest after the jump.

--Phil Willon

The next city election is in March 2011, although the measure could be included in an earlier county election or even a special election, Pak said. The proposed law was named after 17-year-old Los Angeles High School football player Jamiel Shaw II, who was gunned down in March allegedly by a reputed gang member who was in the country illegally.

The measure would modify the Los Angeles Police Department's Special Order 40, which prohibits officers from initiating contact with individuals for the sole purpose of determining whether they are illegal immigrants.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... w-fai.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This just came in to my email from trusted SoCal allies

This email can be forwarded. The Shaws NEED HELP!!! AND LEGAL ADVICE!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Jamiel's Law Petitions Stored in Warehouse!
    We're mad about this and we're going to keep fighting!

According to Jenny at the City Elections Office, there were only 480 Petition Packets turned in and they didn't even count them. "Even if all of the Petition Packets were completed, it would not be enough signatures", said Jenny.

First of all, I know we turned in over 760 Petition Packets.

Then Jenny tells me that there were only 18,559 Signatures. Well, if you didn't count the signatures and you only counted the Petition Packets, where did this number come from?

We turned the signatures in on December 5, 2008. We were told that the Election Office would be working on them during the weekend and we should know the outcome in about two days. Six days later, December 11, 2008, we are told that only 480 Petitions Packets were turned in? How long did it take to count 480 petition packets? The Elections Office told the Media before us, so we know this is very political.

Furthermore, when I told Jenny that this is absolutely impossible, she told me,
    "You can come and pick-up the Petitions and continue getting signatures for the next City Election". Which according to her is not until 2011. We are not waiting that long. The LA County Election is November, 2009.

Jenny also told me to come to the place where we turned the Petitions in at the Elections Office on the 3rd floor and they will be ready for us to pick-up at the front counter. Myself and a volunteer went to pick them up, but they weren't there.

The volunteer was told they were in the basement and we need to wait 20 minutes, call the number they gave us and then we can go to the basement and pick them up. After waiting 30 minutes, I called the number given and I was told the Petitions are in the basement warehouse and we should drive to the side entrance. We drove to the side entrance and the Petitions were not there. After waiting 45 minutes, they finally gave the Petitions to us.

We turned in five boxes of Petitions. Three boxes were full and two boxes were almost full. We get back five boxes and not one box is full! I don't believe the warehouse was even secure.

Needless to say we have questions, but one thing I know is, "This is NOT over"! We are not about to stop. We're going to be more organized as we go forward. We're going to make copies of everything and video everything. Hopefully we will have someone that is not connected to the City of Los Angeles overseeing the counting.

I also don't understand why a major supporter of Jamiel's Law would send out an email blast of defeat before speaking to us. We need to be fighting together! Don't just assume the City is right, especially when they store the petitions in some warehouse. Even the Media called us and asked us our side before they ran with the story. The City knows that Jamiel's Law is very controversial. Why would they not secure the petitions and or seal them while they are stored in the basement warehouse.

We will gather signatures to get Jamiel's Law on the November 2009, LA County Election.

This is NOT over!!

Posted by Althea R. Shaw @ 12/11/2008 01:08:00 PM

'Jamiel's Law' petition doesn't get enough signatures to qualify for L.A.'s ballot
    Anne Cusack, Los Angeles Times

Jamiel Shaw II was killed in March. A reputed gang member, in the U.S. illegally, awaits trial in the slaying.
    Measure would allow police to arrest immigrants just for being in the country illegally. L.A. High School football player Jamiel Shaw II was killed in March, allegedly by an illegal immigrant.

By Phil Willon
    December 12, 2008

Proponents of a Los Angeles voter initiative to allow city police to arrest illegal-immigrant gang members just for being in the country illegally failed to gather enough voter signatures to qualify for the May ballot, elections officials said Thursday.

Supporters estimated they had turned in more than 76,000 petition signatures before Friday's deadline, but elections officials said they tallied only 18,559 -- far short of the 73,963 signatures required.

"Jamiel's Law" is named after 17-year-old Los Angeles High School football player Jamiel Shaw II, who was gunned down in March, allegedly by a reputed gang member who was in the country illegally. The measure would modify the Los Angeles Police Department's Special Order 40, which prohibits officers from initiating contact with people for sole purpose of determining whether they are illegal immigrants.

"We're not going to stop," said Althea Shaw, 47, Jamiel's aunt and a major organizer for the ballot measure. "We can't bring my nephew back, so we're going to keep fighting. We have to."

Shaw said supporters would try to gather enough signatures to place the measure on Los Angeles County's November ballot and, possibly, mount a campaign to expand it statewide with a voter initiative in California's 2010 election.

Shaw said she couldn't explain how the campaign's estimate could have been so far off, and wondered whether the city purposely undercounted the petition signatures that were submitted. She said that many city leaders, including Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton, strongly opposed Jamiel's Law.

"There's no one watching the city," Shaw said. "We're forced to take the word from a city that doesn't even want to talk about illegal immigration."

Attorney Walter Moore, a mayoral candidate who authored Jamiel's Law, said he would urge the City Council to place the measure on the ballot.

City elections officials said that proponents of Jamiel's Law had turned in 480 petitions by Friday's deadline and that each petition has slots for 110 voter signatures. Many of the signature slots of the petition pages were empty, said Jinny Pak of the City Clerk's office, and elections workers counted only 18,559 signatures.

Because the number of signatures had fallen so short of the minimum required, election workers did not attempt to verify that they were valid. All valid signatures on petitions for city initiatives must be from registered voters who reside in Los Angeles.

Bratton and immigrant rights advocates have strongly opposed Jamiel's Law, saying it is unnecessary and could lead to racial profiling by law enforcement officials. Bratton, when testifying before the Council in April, said officers already have the authority to report known gang members who have committed crimes to federal immigration authorities.

Supporters of the measure said that the proposal is focused solely on gang members who have been documented as such by law enforcement agencies, and that it would allow them to be arrested, prosecuted and deported just for being illegal immigrants.

Pedro Espinoza awaits trial on a murder charge in the Jamiel Shaw case.

In Bratton's April testimony to the Council, he said his agency's policies regarding illegal immigrants had no connection to Shaw's death. Espinoza had been arrested in Culver City, and the day before the killing was released from Los Angeles County Jail, which is run by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department.

www.latimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Do we trust these government officials to do the citizens will?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    This just came in to my email from trusted SoCal allies

This email can be forwarded. The Shaws NEED HELP!!! AND LEGAL ADVICE!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Jamiel's Law Petitions Stored in Warehouse!
    We're mad about this and we're going to keep fighting!

According to Jenny at the City Elections Office, there were only 480 Petition Packets turned in and they didn't even count them. "Even if all of the Petition Packets were completed, it would not be enough signatures", said Jenny.

First of all, I know we turned in over 760 Petition Packets.

Then Jenny tells me that there were only 18,559 Signatures. Well, if you didn't count the signatures and you only counted the Petition Packets, where did this number come from?

We turned the signatures in on December 5, 2008. We were told that the Election Office would be working on them during the weekend and we should know the outcome in about two days. Six days later, December 11, 2008, we are told that only 480 Petitions Packets were turned in? How long did it take to count 480 petition packets? The Elections Office told the Media before us, so we know this is very political.

Furthermore, when I told Jenny that this is absolutely impossible, she told me,
    "You can come and pick-up the Petitions and continue getting signatures for the next City Election". Which according to her is not until 2011. We are not waiting that long. The LA County Election is November, 2009.

Jenny also told me to come to the place where we turned the Petitions in at the Elections Office on the 3rd floor and they will be ready for us to pick-up at the front counter. Myself and a volunteer went to pick them up, but they weren't there.

The volunteer was told they were in the basement and we need to wait 20 minutes, call the number they gave us and then we can go to the basement and pick them up. After waiting 30 minutes, I called the number given and I was told the Petitions are in the basement warehouse and we should drive to the side entrance. We drove to the side entrance and the Petitions were not there. After waiting 45 minutes, they finally gave the Petitions to us.

We turned in five boxes of Petitions. Three boxes were full and two boxes were almost full. We get back five boxes and not one box is full! I don't believe the warehouse was even secure.

Needless to say we have questions, but one thing I know is, "This is NOT over"! We are not about to stop. We're going to be more organized as we go forward. We're going to make copies of everything and video everything. Hopefully we will have someone that is not connected to the City of Los Angeles overseeing the counting.

I also don't understand why a major supporter of Jamiel's Law would send out an email blast of defeat before speaking to us. We need to be fighting together! Don't just assume the City is right, especially when they store the petitions in some warehouse. Even the Media called us and asked us our side before they ran with the story. The City knows that Jamiel's Law is very controversial. Why would they not secure the petitions and or seal them while they are stored in the basement warehouse.

We will gather signatures to get Jamiel's Law on the November 2009, LA County Election.

This is NOT over!!

Posted by Althea R. Shaw @ 12/11/2008 01:08:00 PM
    Sound like a civil rights violation that the FBI should be investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    Do we trust these government officials to do the citizens will?
    not no But HELL NO

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The reason those petitions were not secured is because the city of LA, with all their reconquista supporters, want NOTHING to do with Jamiel Shaw or this law! Tony Vilareconquista wants this whole thing to go away! They care more about illegal invader, gang-banging, scum bags than they do the citizens of this city!

Something amiss has gone on here and it's obvious! There is no way the Jamiel supporters would have miscalculated those signatures by 55,000!

Let's see, black American killed in a hate crime, the entire black American community has their Constitutional rights violated by a racist hate organization, sounds like a job for the SPLC, right?

Opps, except the SPLC is in bed with that racist hate organization.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast