Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Kyl reluctant to take lead on immigration plan again

Sen. John McCain and other bipartisan immigration reformers may have to revamp U.S. border policy without the help of Arizona's junior senator.

In 2007, Sen. Jon Kyl surprised critics and angered many supporters by negotiating and championing controversial comprehensive immigration-reform legislation. But after taking a pounding from conservative activists, Kyl is not eager to stick his neck out again for a temporary-worker program and steps toward legalization for millions of undocumented migrants in the country.

Nationwide public outcry ultimately killed last year's measure. Although the timing is unclear, the incoming Democratic-controlled Congress is expected to give it another try with a new version.
    President-elect Barack Obama is an immigration-reform supporter who promised Latino voters during the campaign that he wouldn't wilt under public opposition. But the support of high-profile conservatives such as Kyl, the Senate's No. 2 Republican, would help blunt the impact of a voter backlash.

McCain, whom Obama defeated for the presidency, is signaling a willingness to work with the new president on the hot-button issue.

Action, though, may not come in the early days of the new administration, which is fixated on the economy. Another potential complication: Senate immigration point man Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., is battling brain cancer and is focused on health-care legislation.

"The president will set the agenda. He's just been elected with a significant majority, and the Democrats have made significant gains in both houses, so it will be up to them to decide where comprehensive immigration reform will be on the agenda," McCain said Thursday during a meeting with Arizona Republic editors and reporters. "I stand ready to work with them at the first opportunity, but for me to say that that's what we're going to take up is not in keeping with the results of the last election."

Kyl isn't saying no to immigration reform out of hand, but he supports a position first articulated by McCain during the campaign: that Congress must convince the American people that the borders are secure before pursuing other reforms that critics view as benefiting illegal immigrants.

He also credited Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Kennedy for their willingness to make concessions, particularly on restricting family "chain migration," upon which Kyl says few other countries base their immigration systems. With chain migration, immigrants can facilitate visas for relatives.

Kennedy's conciliatory attitude prompted Kyl to make concessions, too. He agreed to a proposed pathway to citizenship for many who are now in the country illegally. Kyl prefers a system based on the U.S. marketplace's need for temporary workers and had opposed such a pathway in 2006.

"I doubt that the public thinks we're there yet, and I'm not sure that the same basic trade-offs will be agreed to again," Kyl said. "I don't know whether the Obama administration would be willing to consider the same changes, but they were critical to my support for the ultimate bill. And if they alter the agreement significantly, and I suspect they will do so, then the equation for trade-offs becomes totally different."

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano is Obama's choice to replace Chertoff at the Department of Homeland Security.

With Democrats holding commanding advantages in the House and the Senate, the urgency to win over minority Republicans to pass priorities such as immigration reform is reduced.

Still, Kyl, recently re-elected to a new term as Senate minority whip, would add significant bipartisan clout to any immigration plan. He is the highest-ranking Arizonan on Capitol Hill since the late Republican Rep. John Rhodes was House minority leader in the 1970s.

McCain paid a political price for embracing comprehensive immigration reform: His fundraising dried up so much that by mid-2007, his presidential campaign was in danger of collapsing.

McCain stands by his earlier call for the tactical shift that emphasizes border security. But he said a guest-worker plan could be pursued at the same time.

"I think we are already making significant strides." McCain said "I don't think it has to be, quote, completed.

"I think we have to assure the American people that our borders are being secured and, at the same time, we can establish a temporary-worker program that works."

Immigration advocate Elias Bermudez, founder of Phoenix-based Immigrants Without Borders and a Republican, expects McCain to remain the GOP leader on immigration reform. But he said Kyl understands the political importance of not driving away Latinos from the Republican Party with anti-immigration rhetoric.

"I don't think the Democrats need Republican votes to pass this," Bermudez said. "Kyl will probably try to put in his two cents' worth as to what he believes is needed in immigration reform. . . . Remember, we are not looking for 'amnesty.' We are asking for an official mechanism whereby people are able to come here legally to work."

McCain agreed that Republicans must not alienate Hispanics, noting that President Bush won 43 percent of the Hispanic vote in 2004. McCain got 31 percent this year.

"In (swing states) Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico and Florida, the margin of defeat was the difference in the Hispanic vote between 2004 and 2008," McCain said. "We Republicans . . . have got to recruit and elect Hispanics to office. And we need to correct the impression that many Hispanic citizens have, and that is that we don't like Hispanics."
    The Arizona Republic

I voted for Kyle , I and others Ripped him a " New One " about his "Compromise " We the People Demand Nothing Less Than Strict Enforcement Of Existing Immigration Laws .
    No Pathway to Citizenship , No Amnesty , For Even One Of The Criminal Invaders or Their Family Members In Our " Guaranteed by our Constitution " Sovereign Nation " .
    We The People are Disgusted that You Would Even Consider Anything Less than Attrition through Enforcement and Securing Our Ports , Borders and Nation .
    Your Continued Efforts For Comprehensive Immigration Reform , I Promise You Sir , Will Only Result in a Disrespect of You , And Will Result in Your Political Suicide .
    Stop this Irresponsible action Immediately .
    You Promised the Voters of Arizona Protection Under the Constitution .
    You , and Your Colleges are Guilty of Derelictions of Duty .
    Keep Pounding Every One Of Them , I Want to see More News Stories Like This .
    My Opinion and Merry Christmas .

Amnesty in 2009

I don't think the Democrats need Republican votes to pass this," Bermudez said. "Kyl will probably try to put in his two cents' worth as to what he believes is needed in immigration reform. . . . Remember, we are not looking for 'amnesty.' We are asking for an official mechanism whereby people are able to come here legally to work."
    Sorry Senora Bermudez but calling crap by another name does not change the smell. You are looking for "amnesty" which is defined in this case as forgiveness for your illegals transgressions against the USA, and allowing you to continue to grow in numbers and suck at the teat of the quickly drying up cow. It is a testament to your ultimate ignorance and arrogance to think that the continued theft of this country by all illegals and complicit government traitors will go unpunished. Sooner or later, all hell is going to break loose and perhaps Mexico and all the other dung heaps will seem preferable. I suggest you and your fellow degenerates get yourselves together and try to build your own countries.

Kyl can't take a pass on immigration
    Dec. 27, 2008 12:00 AM

The headline "Kyl reluctant to take lead on immigration plan again" (Republic, Saturday) is a perfect example of why we need to remove the majority of those sitting in Congress and establish term limits for them.

Immigration could very well be the largest issue for the state of Arizona, and a sitting Arizona senator is willing to pass on taking a lead role because he won't stick his neck out?

If he won't stick his neck out on this, what else isn't he sticking his neck out on? I am as Republican as it gets, but Sen. Kyl, if you are passing on immigration, you have lost my confidence and my vote. - Troy Sloneker

www.azcentral.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I think we have to assure the American people that our borders are being secured and, at the same time, we can establish a temporary-worker program that works."
    The Mexican border area is even more dangerous and is a bigger national security threat than ever before. I dont think "the American people" believe that our borders can be secured any time soon. And there are WAY TO MANY TEMPORARY WORK PROGRAMS. McCain is a moron.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Unoccupied Southeast Georgia But Not For Much Longer
    Kyl is one of the biggest treasonous and traitorous horse's asses. He was a co-author and supporter of one of the biggest sedition acts labeled S-2611 (Comprehensive Immigration Reform). Kyl is a snake in the grass liberal in GOP clothing which is another reason the GOP will never regain it's former glory. There are too many dung heaps like Graham, McClown and Kyl, posing as conservatives who give a bad name to true conservatives like Sessions and DeMint who care about our country, sovereignty, people and way of life.
    There is no freedom without the law. Remember our veterans whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom.