Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IN: Latino Groups Speak Out Against the Proposed Indiana Imm

Latino Groups Speak Out Against the Proposed Indiana Immigration Law

Updated: Feb 18, 2008 02:31 PM PST

(Fort Wayne - WANE) A house committee advanced a bill to crack down on companies that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. With this proposal, companies could have their business licenses suspended or revoked if they hire illegal workers after 2009. The state would kick in one-and-a-half million dollars to help enforce it. Many Latino groups are against the bill. They say the new law will be bad for business.

Hispanics and other immigrant groups said instead of strengthening the economy an Indiana immigration law will drive business across state lines.

"We're increasing the expense that a company has to take to verify their employees," said Peter Witte of the Hispanic Leadership Coalition of North East Indiana.

It's not just the increased cost that will hurt companies. It's also the added time it will take to verify potential employees are legal.

"Employers will run away from here because they wont' go through a two to three month process before starting work," said Tony Aduro of the African Immigrants Social and Economic Development Agency.

Groups that support immigrants also said the bill duplicates federal laws already on the books.

"The federal government already prohibits employers from knowingly hiring illegal aliens. The law is already in place," said Lannie Ruiz Connelly of the Greater Fort Wayne Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

There's also the chance legal immigrants will be discriminated against.

"You have 500 applicants. You have 100 whose last names are Witte, Jackson, or Johnson. You're going to take them over last names of Sanchez or names not as common," explained Witte.

"I'm a US citizen, but I got a lot of accent when I'm talking. With that in mind, you might want to set me aside," said Aduro.

Some state lawmakers also question the bill.

"I don't believe it's the comprehensive discussion this issue really needs," said House Republican Matt Bell from District 83.

The bill is expected to be voted on by the end of the month. The house legislators will look at it this week to see if amendments are needed.

http://www.wane.com/global/story.asp?s=7888874
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As more and more states make stiffer laws against hiring illegals, there will be fewer and fewer states they can escape to.