Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latino Leadership wants local schools to provide funds

Home / Courier Times
    Courier Times
    Local News | Local Sports

Services sought for growing Latino population

By JAMES MCGINNIS
    Bucks County Courier Times

The Latino Leadership Alliance of Bucks County met Friday with educators and social workers from Bensalem to discuss needed programs for that community's growing Latino population.

The nonprofit alliance runs after-school and summer camp programs for Latinos and seminars for recent immigrants seeking citizenship in Warminster and Bristol, both home to the largest percentage of Latinos in the county.

But Bensalem is catching up fast with those towns and the need for local services is growing, said Gladys Mendieta, who co-founded the alliance 15 years ago.

Four percent of Bensalem was Latino as of the 2000 U.S. Census. Nearly half of the 2,505 registered Latinos were Mexicans. The community was home to 739 Puerto Ricans, 99 Guatemalans and 87 Ecuadorians, Census figures show. (Those numbers do not include undocumented immigrants.)

Bensalem schools Superintendent James Lombardo attended the meeting, hoping the alliance could help to improve communications with the growing number of school parents who don't speak English.

The number of kids who primarily spoke Spanish, Russian or Indian has more than tripled — from about 80 eight years ago to 400 this school year — Lombardo estimated. In response, the district will begin a world language program next year with all students in the third grade learning Spanish.

The kids are learning. But some worry that parents aren't able to understand school report cards and district mailings. Lombardo wanted the alliance's help in reaching parents who wouldn't come out to school events, possibly due to the language or cultural barrier.

The new director of the Bensalem public library, Lisa Kern, also expressed frustration in being unable to reach out to the Latino community. Kern discussed plans to expand the libraries and foreign language books and event host an “international film festivalâ€

The number of kids who primarily spoke Spanish, Russian or Indian has more than tripled — from about 80 eight years ago to 400 this school year — Lombardo estimated. In response, the district will begin a world language program next year with all students in the third grade learning Spanish.
    Excuse me, in the third grade learning Spanish? Have we lost our minds? And what about the russian and indian kids, they will also have to learn Spanish? What on earth does this really mean, a takeover, to force the Spanish language on EVERYBODY, don't we already have a language supposed to unite all of us, English?

Quote Originally Posted by alamb
    Excuse me, in the third grade learning Spanish? Have we lost our minds? And what about the russian and indian kids, they will also have to learn Spanish? What on earth does this really mean, a takeover, to force the Spanish language on EVERYBODY, don't we already have a language supposed to unite all of us, English?
    EXACTLY! How about we use those funds to teach them english! Common sense right?

Why don't we just built total Spanish schools for Latino's only . Will that make them "Happy?"
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Since they don't want to assimilate here, they should just go home.

Good grief. More Hispandering. ENOUGH ALREADY!! Don't offer it, and they will leave!
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

It just doesn't get any worse than this!!! No wonder American schools are worse than most underdeveloped countries! We ARE are third world country! I say we go back to segregation...separate the non-English speaking foreigners from the American schools...and let them fund and support their own schools! I don't want one $$$ of my taxpayer money going to support this idiocy! I am so thankful my children are adults now!

The Latino Leadership Alliance of Bucks County met Friday with educators and social workers from Bensalem to discuss needed programs for that community's growing Latino population.
    For the Latino population--discrimination.

Past immigrants did it on their own and learned:
    English
    Civics
    American history

Being bilingual is an asset.

"world language program"--world????

However, if they can teach all 3rd graders Spanish, they can certainly teach them English first.

Are they teaching Russian and Indian?
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    Why don't we just built total Spanish schools for Latino's only . Will that make them "Happy?"
    Now that sounds like a great idea! Since Hipanics think they are TOO SPECIAL TO ASSIMILATE, let them build their own Spanish schools. They can pay for them from all OUR taxpayer funds the government keeps forking over to racist Hispanic groups like LaRaza. I am sure that American big business sponsors like Coke, Ford, and Pepsi will contribute to their fund as well. Unless that money is just used to pay Janet Murguia's salary and the other top brass there. I wonder if the IRS audits LaRaza.

RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There is no reason that a legal immigrant would feel unsafe the demand on the part of this group of Latinos is that the American citizens support illegal aliens with our tax money. Who says an American citizen should have any rights. If you tried to enter Mexico without papers and tried to work there without papers you would be arrested and deported. If you tried to make a political demand as anything other than a citizen in Mexico you would be arrested and deported.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast