Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos: Immigration debate leading to 'hate speech'

Latinos: Immigration debate leading to 'hate speech'
    Associated Press
    Jan. 31, 2008 03:04 PM

WASHINGTON - A national Latino group said Thursday it is fighting back against what it considers to be "hate speech" that has emerged from the debate over immigration.

National Council of La Raza President Janet Murguia announced plans to pressure television network executives and candidates seeking their parties' presidential nominations to clamp down on such remarks.

The group launched a Web site to counter the speech, www(dot)wecanstopthehate(dot)org, with clips of what it considers offensive comments on television as well as a tracking of hate crimes.

"Hate groups and extremists have taken over the immigration debate in an unprecedented wave of hate," Murguia said. Although some comments could be considered free speech, "there is a line that sometimes can be crossed when it comes to free speech," she said.

Some of the remarks the Hispanic group identified included referring to immigrants as an "army of invaders" or an "invading force," associating immigrants with animals, accusing immigrants of bringing crime and diseases like leprosy to the U.S., and purveying a conspiracy theory that Latinos are trying to take back parts of the United States once ruled by Mexico.

Murguia named as offenders Pat Buchanan, who appears on MSNBC as a commentator, CNN's Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck of Headline News, a CNN network.

Beck once offered a joint solution for immigration and energy on his radio program, Murguia said. "He read a proposed ad for a giant refinery that produces Mexinol, a fuel made from the bodies of illegal immigrants coming here from Mexico to find work," Murguia said.

Murguia accused the television networks of cloaking members of hate groups as anti-immigrant experts on their programs. Among those she singled out was Jim Gilchrist, a co-founder of the Minuteman Project.

In response, Gilchrist called the National Council of La Raza a racial supremacy group that "dwarfs the combination of Black Panthers, KKK, American Indian Movement and Asian gangs."

"I'm exercising free speech and I'm giving my opinion," Gilchrist said. "My son-in-law is Mexican and two of my three grandchildren are half Mexican. The Minuteman Project is comprised of every race color and creed. ... She has a right to her opinion, but she's wrong."

CNN Worldwide's CEO agreed to meet with the group, said Cecilia Munoz, the council's senior vice president. CNN spokeswoman Janine Iamunno said CNN had no comment.

A message left on voicemail for an MSNBC spokeswoman was not immediately returned.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 31-ON.html

la raza means 'the race' what if I went around calling myself ''The white man" and acused others of being racist.I just wish one major news paper would translate LA RAZA (the race) like I just did for all of the non spanish speaking readers!

The thing is "La RAZA" means not only "the race" but it's a phrase that started being used by radical, leftist Chicanos out west in the 60's and 70's to self-identify themselves as Mexicans, Mexican Americans. You would hardly find ANY self-respecting mainstream AMerican of Hispanic heritage or even foreign nationals from any other Latin AMerican, Caribbean country referring to themselves as "La rAZA"...... it seems only Mexicans have decided to adopt this phrase to identify themselves as a separate "race".

Oops! We mis-translated that!

Here's what La Raza says on their website to explain away "The Race" tag..."
    [b]We have a Spanish term in our name, “La Razaâ€
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

LaRaza is trying to back pedal big time but, unfortunately for them, there is years of print and video showing quite clearly exactly what they are about and the other racist groups they actively fund.

There is only one meaning to LaRaza and they know it as well as we do.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

i read somewhere years ago, tha one of the founders of "LA RAZA" said that "ALL GRINGOS MUST DIE", that was enuf for me. we'll just see about that.

No one other than Chicanos and Mexicans refer to themselves as La RAZA. The term used to mean "the people" is "el pueblo". La RAZA can't hide the ugly truth.

Thank You legalatina. Your input is most appreciated and invaluable.
    Hope you can stick around a long time with us....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:51 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one other than Chicanos and Mexicans refer to themselves as La RAZA. The term used to mean "the people" is "el pueblo". La RAZA can't hide the ugly truth.

Legalatina.........this would be a terrific comment for Lou's show!!

Would you be receptive to the idea of contacting him with your information as a comment?

Since his show is being "monitored" there would be a message sent to certain individuals that people are NOT being fooled by their contentions concerning the meaning of La Raza and it would also help inform the public in general.

I've been on Lou dobbs before and after seeing Murguia's despicable indefensible tirade tonite, I would jump at the chance to respond to her comments and that of Jerry Rivers the other night. Lou Dobbs was a consummate gentleman and certainly more gracious than most others would have been. Dobbs allowed her way too much airtime, and she came off as very coached, she used the words, "hate speech", "vigilantes" about 50 times in four minutes. Murguia thinks the more she repeats her insipid comments the more Americans will believe them. La RAZA is fuming because their scheme to influence the passage of the Senate amnesty bill failed twice, the DREAM Act failed, and 43 states have passed anti-illegal immigration legislation. Their darling illegal aliens are feeling the squeeze of the tough laws, stepped up enforcement and an economic downturn....many ARE leaving. Without millions of illegal aliens... how will La RAZA fund raise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast