Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MALDEF CALLS ON CONGRESS TO PASS THE DREAM ACT

Sorry if this press release from a month ago has been posted before, but this scheme will come our way soon so we should be ready:
    ----------------------------------

MALDEF CALLS ON CONGRESS TO PASS THE DREAM ACT
    Bipartisan amendment recognizes immigrants’ past service and future contributions to America
    July 24, 2007

Washington D.C. - This week U.S. Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL), Chuck Hagel (R-NE) and Richard Lugar (R-IN) will introduce the DREAM ACT as an amendment to H.R. 1585, the Department of Defense (DoD) Authorization bill now being considered by the United States Senate. The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF) stands in support of the amendment and calls upon Congress to pass this legislation.

“Immigrants are putting their lives on the line for our country even before they are able to call this their country. Allowing them to adjust their immigration status based upon their service is long overdue and a vital addition to the Department of Defense Authorization bill,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    All these anti American organizations know how to do is cry...

gimmie, gimmie, gimmie

Sickening!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

I AM SO SICK OF CORRUPT POLITICIANS

All these anti American organizations know how to do is cry...

gimmie, gimmie, gimmie

Sickening!
    WHILE THEY'RE GREEDY HANDS ARE IN MY POCKET TO PULL OUT AS MUCH CASH AS THEY CAN

FIRE CORRUPT OFFICIAL'S .... I AM A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN AND NOBODY IS GETTING ANOTHER PENNY TILL THEY FIGHT THIS ISSUE TO THE BITTER END

The date of this article is July 24th. It didn't happen for them and congress will be on break until after Labor day.

Those Dream Acts are Amnesty.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    The date of this article is July 24th. It didn't happen for them and congress will be on break until after Labor day.

Those Dream Acts are Amnesty.

Dixie
    Your on the ball Dixie

With Durbin being one of my Senators he actually replied to an email I sent him regarding not passing the Dream Act. Actually I believe it was in response to a NumbersUSA.com fax. Anyway here is what he had to say: (for what it's worth)
    ----------------------

August 16, 2007
    Mr. xxxxx xxxxxx
    xxxx xxxxxxx Ave
    xxxxxxxxxxxx, IL 60xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about the education of immigrant children. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand your concern about the cost of attending colleges and universities. Federal student aid is based on financial need and allocated to students to ensure that those from working families are not denied access to college because of income. Throughout my service in Congress, I have supported initiatives that would help make college more affordable, including increasing the amount of money available through Pell Grants and providing tax relief that will help families and students pay for college. As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I will continue to work to fund federal student aid programs.

Graduation from high school is an important milestone in life, with many graduates then looking forward to college. Some children do not have the chance to attend college and reach their full potential because they are undocumented. Most of these children were brought to the United States when they were very young and did not have the opportunity to make an independent decision about where they would live. They grew up here, went to school here, and want to be productive members of our society.

In 2003, I joined Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah in introducing the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act). I have introduced similar legislation in the 110th Congress and it has been referred to the Judiciary Committee for review.

The DREAM Act would enable undocumented immigrants to earn the right to apply for legal residency by allowing them to apply for conditional resident status and apply for college on the same terms as other students if they 1) have lived in the U.S. for at least five years; 2) have attended school in our country and graduated from high school; and 3) are of good moral character.

This measure would not provide any financial aid to any student. It would allow these students to apply for federal student assistance, while requiring the eligible students to go through the same process as any other student applying for federal financial aid and holding them to the same standards. They would have the opportunity to remove the conditional nature of their resident status by acquiring a college degree, successfully attending at least two years of college, or serving honorably in the Armed Forces for at least two years. Finally, this bill would enable states to determine their own residency rules regarding the tuition rate for undocumented immigrant children at state colleges and universities.

This approach would not affect colleges' admission rules. Immigrants affected by the legislation would have to demonstrate their academic eligibility and merit. Furthermore, Urban Institute and U.S. Census figures show that undocumented immigrant children who meet the criteria spelled out in this measure represent less than two percent of all high school graduates each year.

Some opponents of this legislation suggest that it would encourage illegal immigration. No studies have shown a connection between illegal immigration and access to college education in this country. Throughout my service in Congress, I have supported efforts to deter illegal immigration. I have voted for measures to reduce illegal immigration by providing additional Border Patrol agents and giving the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) more authority to investigate illegal alien smuggling. I also voted in favor of the USA PATRIOT Act, which tripled the number of agents along our northern border and strengthened the standards for the issuance of visas.

Legislation enabling undocumented children to apply for college and financial aid will benefit our nation. Current law deprives us of future leaders, increased tax revenues, economic growth, and social vibrancy. We suffer because vulnerable children who might have become scientists, nurses, teachers, or engineers are forced, instead, to settle for the more limited employment options available to those without a college degree. Worse, guidance counselors report that many promising students drop out of school once they realize that, as a practical matter, they will be unable to go to college.

I hope this letter helps you understand why I support the DREAM Act. I appreciate having your views. Thanks again for your message.

Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator
    RJD/tf

P.S. If you are ever visiting Washington, please feel free to join Senator Obama and me at our weekly constituent coffee. When the Senate is in session, we provide coffee and donuts every Thursday at 8:30 a.m. as we hear what is on the minds of Illinoisans and respond to your questions. We would welcome your participation. Please call my D.C. office for more details.
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago

P.S. If you are ever visiting Washington, please feel free to join Senator Obama and me at our weekly constituent coffee. When the Senate is in session, we provide coffee and donuts every Thursday at 8:30 a.m. as we hear what is on the minds of Illinoisans and respond to your questions. We would welcome your participation. Please call my D.C. office for more details.
    This last PS represents all I need to know about Durbin. Get RID of him Chicago!

Even though I don't like Obama, I'd support someone like Colin Powell.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

They aren't going to be here to have any dreams. They need to force Mexico into giving them all of their dreams. Not the USA.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I often read the posts on cosaonline.org to see what the dreamers are up to and they all claim the Dreamact is a done deal. With 2 kids in college the situation is killing my finances and this has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsokay
    i often read the posts on cosaonline.org to see what the dreamers are up to and they all claim the Dreamact is a done deal. With 2 kids in college the situation is killing my finances and this has me worried.
    Sorry to burst their bubble, but if they believe the Dream Act is a done deal, they are the ones dreaming. Our sneaky representatives think they can fool us by incorporating this with DOD issues, but it's not working.

Permitting illegals to have federal in-state tuition is in no way, shape or form related to our national security. How stupid do they think we are? If anyone is getting a Dream Act, it will be a "legal" American college student.

If they want a Dream Act, petition Mexico or some other country. The tuition expense of illegals is not the responsibility of American taxpayers.

Give them a tissue....

Welcome to Alipac, jjsokay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast