Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Marches, rallies and boycotts just first steps, say

got this email because I am thier mailing list :P
    May 3, 2006

Marches, rallies and boycotts just first steps, say
    organizers

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - They've rallied, they've marched, they've boycotted. So
    now what?

In the aftermath of "A Day Without Immigrants," the urgent question
    immigrants and their supporters face is how to translate the passion of
    the streets into lasting political gains.

"We need to take this critical mass and organize it. Marching is not
    enough," said Armando Navarro, coordinator of a Southern California
    umbrella organization that helped plan Monday's march and boycott. "We need
    to harness this power."

In coming months, immigrant rights supporters say, they will shift
    their energy into making a difference at the polls through registering
    voters, helping legal immigrants become citizens and getting out the vote
    in June primary elections around the nation.

"This is only the beginning," said Hilda Delgado of Local 1877 of the
    Service Employees International Union in Los Angeles. "Now we have to
    reroute all of the energy and momentum and start registering to vote to
    send a clear message (for immigration reform) to the Senate and House in
    Washington."

Pew center director Roberto Suro said Hispanics must now convince the
    broader public that legislation expanding guest worker programs and
    offering undocumented immigrants a chance to become citizens would be good
    for the nation.

Marcelo Suarez-Orozco, director of immigration studies at New York
    University, said he believes any consolidation of local groups won't happen
    until leaders see what comes out of Congress.

A bill that passed the House would make illegal immigrants vulnerable
    to felony charges, while a Senate bill would allow immigrants who have
    been in the U.S. longer than five years to apply for citizenship. The
    Senate may resume debate on an immigration bill as early as next week.

"Clearly the ball now is in the court of the political class,"
    Suarez-Orozco said. "But in the long run, the elephant in the room is how (the
    marches) will be translated into political muscle."

La Voz de Aztlan
    http://www.aztlan.net
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

they want to VOTE! impersonating a U.S. citizen, make a false declaration, etc. is a FELONY! Maybe Congress needs to pass a resolution that would rescind the motor voter "law" -- the states should also take steps to ensure voting is limited to citizens. Any state that allows illegals to vote in primaries should have their votes rendered null and void
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    they want to VOTE! impersonating a U.S. citizen, make a false declaration, etc. is a FELONY! Maybe Congress needs to pass a resolution that would rescind the motor voter "law" -- the states should also take steps to ensure voting is limited to citizens. Any state that allows illegals to vote in primaries should have their votes rendered null and void
    Right On!!! I couldn't agree more!!

I don't know how things are around the country, but around here the black citizens that I have talked with keep saying how WE -- black and white citizens -- would be put in jail for some of the things these illegals get away with, they're saying WE are being discriminated against for being citizens.
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

how WE -- black and white citizens -- would be put in jail for some of the things these illegals get away with, they're saying WE are being discriminated against for being citizens.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I can see the double standard in this country. While these people are breaking the law, all the politicians are on the side of these illegals because they have their own agendas and they don't care about what you and me think, even though we are American citizens and we vote in every election. We should kick them out of office or send them to Mexico.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

it is discrimination for sure. Another thing I hear is how a citizen has tell whether he's been convicted of a crime -- if they have, then usually their application goes into the trash. They realize these illegals are held to a different standard and God only knows what they've gone

Did Frist's revised Bill call for guest workers? I searched through the document for guest, but I didn't find it.

If they are still thinking about this 5 year crap, well I can tell you right now that phony documentation is being sold as we speak that would establish anybody in this country for 5 or more years.

Why should they let one little hurdle like stop them from a free ride. They pay $2,000 to get in, what's another $500 for a phony mortgage loan document or lease agreement or whatever. Who's going to check 8 million stories.

Here's what he said on March 29, 2006:
    We are a nation of immigrants built upon the rule of law. And so many legal immigrants have played by the rules when coming to this country and making a life for themselves and their families. We should not break faith with those who played by the rules, so I will not support amnesty. We respect the rule of law and those who made it here the right way, and are trying to make it here the right way, rather than reward those who came here the wrong way.

America needs to secure her borders and we need real interior enforcement. Which is why the bill I introduced prioritizes both as well as increases legal immigration, and in doing each, honors our heritage as a nation of immigrants who value the rule of law.
    But that was five weeks ago. Today, who knows?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't see why we shouldn't sign up to vote when we go to the DMV to get our Drivers license or state ID. And they can send us a voter ID with our picture on it as well.
    As far as the bills before Congress, I think there should be a LAW that only one issue should be voted on at a time. Want stiffer penalties on illegal immigration ( atually just enforce the laws ON the books )? Vote for or against that. Want a guest worker program? That should be a separate bill. Vote for or against that. But don't lump everything together.
    And pork should not be added onto bills either ( or even all in one bill ). We need a major revamp on the way things are voted through Congress.
    And another thing, when did we start passing all these laws, in Congress or on a state or local level, that were against the Constitution?

Don't you know libbeebell George Bush says that the constitution is just a piece of paper
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast