Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

McCain "frustrated" by immigration reform debate

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm ... FE4E326A47

Friday, June 1, 2007, 4:23 PM
    By O.Kay Henderson

Republican presidential candidate John McCain says he's "frustrated" by the way the debate is unfolding over the immigration reform package he helped craft.

"The president and all of us feel frustrated sometimes by the criticism and the level of the dialogue," McCain says. "I respect the views of those who disagree with us. I don't question anyone's patriotism or love of this country and I wish we could lift up the level of discourse and dialogue. It's not helpful in illuminating and educating the American people when we question one another's patriotism."

This week President Bush accused leading opponents of the immigration reform package of trying to frighten Americans into opposing the bill. McCain says he's pleased the president is getting involved. "I don't like to critique the president's remarks, but I am very grateful for his involvement and his engagement," McCain says. "...He feels passionately about this issue."

McCain, a senator from Arizona, says he'll be in the U.S. Senate next week when debate begins on that immigration bill. There may be a few adjustments in the compromise, according to McCain. "But I think it has to be pretty well as it is if we're going to succeed," McCain says. "As with things like this, the coalition's pretty fragile."

McCain says he's not sure how the issue plays out with voters. "Polls show that over 60 percent of the American people approve not only of this overall approach, but the specifics of it," McCain says. "But on the other side of the coin we have a very emotional, intense opposition within our party. I would guess it's a quarter (of the GOP) or something like that."

Some of McCain's rivals for the Republican Party's 2008 presidential nomination criticize the bill as "amnesty" for those who've entered the country illegally. McCain questions that definition. "What it really means is, short of deporting 12 million people, anything else is amnesty," McCain says. "Well, no one that I know thinks you can round up 12 million people and if you did, what would it do to our country?"

McCain is on a two-day campaign swing through Iowa. He spoke to about 500 employees of a Des Moines insurance company this afternoon. McCain will campaign in northwest Iowa on Saturday.

McCain says he's not sure how the issue plays out with voters. "Polls show that over 60 percent of the American people approve not only of this overall approach, but the specifics of it," McCain says. "But on the other side of the coin we have a very emotional, intense opposition within our party. I would guess it's a quarter (of the GOP) or something like that."
    Some please Educate him on the true numbers..

25% is he completely senile now?
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Re: McCain "frustrated" by immigration reform deba

Quote Originally Posted by Kate

"What it really means is, short of deporting 12 million people, anything else is amnesty," McCain says. "Well, no one that I know thinks you can round up 12 million people
    Eisenhower did it and there are still people around that helped to do that. Obviously McCain doesn't want to talk to them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The president and all of us feel frustrated sometimes by the criticism and the level of the dialogue," McCain says. "I respect the views of those who disagree with us. I don't question anyone's patriotism or love of this country and I wish we could lift up the level of discourse and dialogue. It's not helpful in illuminating and educating the American people when we question one another's patriotism."
    I have one question for them. Are you an American or a MEXICAN?!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't question anyone's patriotism or love of this country
    Well, mccain, I QUESTION YOURS

and have for decades!!!

MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

Don't give to McCain and watch your money go down the drain!!
    There it goes......Bye-bye money!!

GIVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO SOMEONE WHO THINKS YOU'RE WORTH FIGHTING FOR!!

Laura Ingraham mentioned that France and Spain are deporting people. This is all I could find. But I find it humorous that the neocons sneer at France, but look who is surrendering.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4422422.stm

Quote Originally Posted by SamLowrey
    Laura Ingraham mentioned that France and Spain are deporting people. This is all I could find. But I find it humorous that the neocons sneer at France, but look who is surrendering.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4422422.stm
    Come on Sam.........they don't 'sneer' at Pfrance {we do} ....they have too many DEALS WITH PFrance.

And PFrance owns some dandy AMERICAN WATER RIGHTS. They're playing footsy around the world with our American TRAITORS concerning resources, OUR INFRASTRUCTURE and other goodies.

I hope the debate makes his hemorrhoids bleed.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Re: McCain "frustrated" by immigration reform deba

Quote Originally Posted by Kate

McCain says he's not sure how the issue plays out with voters.
    If your not sure, how about you listen to the people instead of searching for a poll that fits your agenda. Maybe a review of the Rasmusen report might change your skewed view:

"two-thirds of Americans believe it doesn't make sense to debate new immigration laws until we can first control our borders and enforce existing laws"

Try and dodge that bit of data. Mr. McCain, you and the public are on completely different pages of this immigration story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast