Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD: A Floral Protest Over Job-Based Visas

Published Wednesday, July 11, 2007
    A Floral Protest Over Job-Based Visas

NINA BERNSTEIN

In a Gandhi-inspired protest, foreigners working legally in the United States sent thousands of flowers to a top immigration official yesterday to draw attention to their complaints about job-based visas.

The official, Emilio Gonzalez, director of Citizenship and Immigration Services, arranged for trucks to haul the bouquets of roses, carnations and other flowers to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington and the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Md.

“The reaction from the patients, family and staff was overwhelming,â€

Would these pompous, self righteous visa card parasites send flowers to the families of Americans who lost their jobs for their (H-1B) sake?

Nope.

Instead these sociopaths work with their elected officials (ie. John Cornyn and Hillary Rodham), to increase their numbers and to send more and more Americans to the unemployment lines.

TERMINATE H-1B VISA, SENATOR!
    DEPORT ALL illegals AND H-1Bs!

American citizens do not bow down to Bangalore,
    American citizens do not owe their jobs and futures to India.

Go figure, senator! Decide, Senator, who your constituents are!

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Great for of protest

This was a great form of protest.

Cato, you were probably fired because of your cry baby attitude, lack of people skills and lack of updated technical skills. You should stop whining and blaming everybody else for your problems.

If you think you will get a job if all the H1Bs are deported, you are wrong. The jobs will go to where ever these competent people go. And they will take many more jobs with them. Like the Microsoft jobs which are going to to Canada.

My company could not find a competent Oracle programmer who is looking for a job in the US and we could not import one on H1B because the quota is exhausted. So we had to let the team of six other Americans go and send the work to India. We loved this team, but we cannot work with an incomplete team.

When you drive competent people away, you also drive the team away. Remember what happened in the steel industry...

Another pro-H-1B shill on the board. How many does this make? You have NO idea what Coto's professional record and current status are, yet you resort to personal attack.

You couldn't find a competent American Oracle programmer? Then it's time to politely question the competence of your company's HR department. When claims like this are investigated, usually the Programmers Guild find that either they didn't post the position where any sentient American was likely to see it, or they are offering third world pay, or they are wording the posting to make sure they can disqualify any American applicant.

So, you fired 6 Americans (you imply they were competent) because you couldn't find one guy (I could have found for you in an afternoon, maybe I should be doing your HR) and sent the whole function to India? I don't buy that. Either you shouldn't have done it, or you didn't and you are just telling stories as PR for H-1Bs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well, we did not fire the people. There is enough work for competent people. But the Team was broken. Members were put on different projects.

But if we had found somebody to fill that position, that team would be doing what they were doing and we would have hired six other people to work on the projects these people work on now. So indirectly six jobs were lost.

Our HR uses the standard tools like dice, monster etc. So I don't think they did a bad job.

About programmer's guild, what I would like to see from them is resumes of people who are looking for jobs. I keep hearing that competent Americans are not finding jobs, yet when we go looking, we either find none or they fly off the market like new iPhones. For this particular position we found two very bright guys, but they all took other jobs before we could even make an offer.

I don't know if either one of you was on the hiring side of the equation recently, but let me tell you, that is a frustrating position to be in right now. There just are not enough people to fill all the open jobs.

Oh, and we did not hire a good Indian on H1B because he was too expensive...

I don't know if either one of you was on the hiring side of the equation recently, but let me tell you, that is a frustrating position to be in right now. There just are not enough people to fill all the open jobs.
    Did you offer to pay moving expenses? Did you offer a good wage? I guarantee if you were paying enough, you wouldn't have a problem. Supply and demand dictates that in times of low supply and high demand, the cost goes up. Pay enough and you'll fill those positions. But you'd rather send those jobs to India where you can get by with paying half the amount. If you REALLY wanted to keep those jobs here, they would still be here.

Oh, and we did not hire a good Indian on H1B because he was too expensive...
    Just makes my point about $$$$!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Back to the flower campaign. Did you guys even make an effort to find out what the protest was about? Because if you had done that, you would have supported the protest.

You see, you complain that H1Bs get paid less because they cannot change employer and are indentured servants. But the fact is they are in that state only when they are in the process of getting the green card. So it is in the best interest of the American workers that less people stay in this state. If this protest is to succeed, most H1Bs who are stuck to an employer because they are in the green card process, would be able to freely change jobs in six months.

Quote Originally Posted by imblest
    Supply and demand dictates that in times of low supply and high demand, the cost goes up. Pay enough and you'll fill those positions. But you'd rather send those jobs to India where you can get by with paying half the amount. If you REALLY wanted to keep those jobs here, they would still be here.
    Well if you have a shortage of surrogate mothers, you can't really pay a man a million dollars and hope to get the job done

The shortage of skilled people in the US has many reasons. A good reason is that smart people have a lot more options here. A smart kid wants to be a doctor, lawyer, football coach, political consultant, manager, etc. As opposed to other countries like India where every smart kid wants to be a doctor or an engineer. This is good for America because the job market is diverse and better able to handle slumps in one area or another. But it creates shortages in some fields.

And then India and China have one third of the world's population. So just by shear numbers, they have more number of smart people if you believe God distributes smartness evenly across the world.

Have you watched the youtube video of the PA Law firm teaching HR people how *NOT* to find a willing American worker and then if the do how to disqualify them?

I don't have the link now but I know some one does.

That right there is what we are talking about. If the system was not abused the way it is, I for one would not have a problem.

And then India and China have one third of the world's population. So just by shear numbers, they have more number of smart people if you believe God distributes smartness evenly across the world.
    Oh and what I believe is that everyone begins with the same potential, it is what ones does with it makes the difference. Not some inbred IQ factor.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast