Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Medical care in Mexico not free for Americans

http://www.dallasnews.com

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sherry Jacobson

Instead of bringing home cute trinkets and touristy photos, Phillip Monson returned last month from Mexico with scars across his abdomen.

His vacation to Puerto Vallarta was interrupted by emergency surgery to remove his gallbladder.

But the strangest part of this cautionary tale was not that Mr. Monson, 61, became deathly ill or that he had to rely on a foreign health-care system.

In fact, he found the Mexican doctors to be top-notch and has no complaints about the surgery, which turned out fine.

Things got scary only when the administrator of Hospital San Javier Marina refused to accept Mr. Monson's insurance coverage.

After the surgery, Mr. Monson and his wife, Faye, were ordered to pay his full hospital bill – $19,872 in U.S. cash.

"It was like I was being held hostage in a Mexican hospital," Mr. Monson stated emphatically this week. "They wouldn't release me until I paid the entire bill in cash or with a credit card. Can you imagine that? It was crazy."

The Monsons were expecting an uneventful five-day vacation and had not brought along that much cash – not that most people travel with a bundle like that on vacation, or anywhere else for that matter.

The credit cards they took with them also would not carry such a hefty payment. The Monsons scraped together enough credit-card coverage with the help of their daughter in Dallas, Rani Monson.

By paying the full bill, however, the Monsons lost their chance to challenge hospital charges that appeared to be excessive. In the United States, this type of surgery can cost from $6,000 to $14,000, depending on complications and the length of hospital stay.

"The doctors' fees were high, but not outrageous," Mr. Monson said. "But the hospital tacked on almost $6,000 for operating room supplies, which included every instrument they used on me."

Although Mr. Monson was looking quite healthy during a recent interview at his Plano home, he was still upset more than two weeks after his return.

"We started out feeling lucky that our hotel was so close to a Westernized hospital and that it had doctors who spoke English," Mrs. Monson recalled. "We speak very little Spanish ourselves."

What disturbed the Monsons the most was their lack of awareness that some Mexican hospitals – and even some physicians – do not accept insurance from ailing foreigners.

"Americans need to know this," Mr. Monson said. "I don't think this was unusual treatment for this hospital. What they do after surgery – when a patient is not in good shape – is demand that you pay the bill right away."

As a periodic Mexican tourist, this was news to me, too. My half-dozen trips south of the border never brought me into contact with Mexican health care other than an occasional purchase of Pepto Bismol at a drugstore.

How often are sick Americans caught in this bind?

One of my Spanish-speaking colleagues called the private hospital in Puerto Vallarta for an explanation of what happened to Mr. Monson. She was told the administrator was on vacation.

Another call to the Mexican Consulate in Dallas drew an incredulous response from an official who said she had never heard of this happening. When informed of Mr. Monson's nearly $20,000 hospital bill, she called the charges "exaggerated."

During the standoff over his bill, Mr. Monson had sought help from the U.S. Consular Agency in Puerto Vallarta. His greatest fear was of being arrested at the airport if he couldn't pay it all.

The agency told him that he would not be arrested but advised him that his predicament was not unusual.

"Please be aware that doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash or credit card payment for health services," the agency stated in a form letter. "U.S. medical insurance is not always valid outside the U.S."

Mr. Monson speaks highly of his insurance plan, Benesight, and has already filed for reimbursement of the payment he made in Mexico. He was hopeful about getting his money back.

But he intends never to go back to Mexico.

"I hope the Mexican Consulate in Dallas calls me," he said. "I'd be happy to tell him what he can do with Mexico and its hospital."

E-mail sjacobson@dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Please be aware that doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash or credit card payment for health services," the agency stated in a form letter. "U.S. medical insurance is not always valid outside the U.S."
    Like this should be a shocker to anybody. They get free healthcare from us, and cannot be refused. Just another shining example of Mexico's 'DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.' polity.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Just think of how many illegals and anchor babies we could quickly deport back home. Pay in full or get deported. Heck I can loose my house and everything else if a bill isn't paid......why not say pay-up or get-out?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Illegals send millions back to their countries in remittances, so why can't they pay their hospital visits and medical care?!

As far as a Mexican vacation in my lifetime, it will never happen!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)