Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

The merits of a second language

www.pclionsroar.com

The Lion's Roar - Features
    Issue: 10/28/05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The merits of a second language
    By Kara Kridler

The U.S. Census Bureau recently reported that an estimated 38.8 million Hispanics live in the United States, making Hispanics the largest minority in the country. According to race and Hispanic-origin estimates, the ethnic group accounted for nearly half of the population increase for the United States since April 1, 2000.

With an increased _ and still growing _ Hispanic population, what does this potentially imply for the vast portion of the U.S. population that speaks only English? Personally, it makes me wish that I was fluent in Spanish.
    It was not until recently that I began to regret my decision to drop studying Spanish. I took Spanish classes from the fourth grade through my sophomore year in college. It was a requirement _ students had to take a foreign language.

After finishing the required courses, I took a few additional Spanish classes and then quit. (I think it was the Spanish novels that convinced me to throw in the towel.) By this time, I honestly did not see the benefits of continuing the classes.

Now, nearly seven years later, I wish I had continued to learn a second language. Being bilingual may prove to be a necessity in the near future. As Hispanics continue to assimilate into the existing American culture, will non-Hispanic Americans have to at least partially assimilate into the Hispanic culture?

Though I am focusing on Spanish, virtually any second language would be a big plus. I can tell you that even now as I begin to look for a job, numerous job postings say, "second language preferred" or "second language a must."

I know that it probably depends on your field. But, no matter what your profession is, if it is not important now, it likely will be.
    Being fluent in a second language gives you your own special asset, which is huge when looking for a job.

The most significant thing that you can do when on a job hunt is to have your own niche that sets you aside from everyone else looking for that same job - something that makes you stand out.

Knowing a second language not only makes you stand out from others but it demonstrates discipline, which is an attractive asset. In addition, it shows drive and motivation, which can go a long way in terms of impressing potential employers.

Being bilingual also is significant for other reasons. First, it adds to your overall personal resume, which can only help to improve your confidence and enhance how you feel about yourself. It's an investment in you.
    Second, learning a second language will help you appreciate other cultures and understand how people from other countries think. This is especially true now, considering the part that foreign affairs play in our society. While this may not seem significant while you're in school, it will become increasingly important as you enter the working world _ not to mention should you ever travel abroad.

So, whether you are studying Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, Latin or whatever _ stick with it. It may seem like more of a nuisance than value to you now, but give yourself a few years and you'll be thankful you did it.
    As for me, having lost what I once I knew, I will be investing in "Spanish for Dummies" or perhaps some lessons on tape.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well from a personal career standpoint, this is probably a wise move.

From a national standpoint, it shows we may be too late.

Wake Up America!!

Why hire an American that Speaks Spanish when you can hire an Hispanic that Speaks Spanish?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Why should we hire ANYONE solely because they speak SPANISH?

The writer of this article made a really DUMB statement. She said, "As Hispanics continue to assimilate into the existing American culture...". I think she contradicted herself if that is what she thinks because, if they were ASSIMILATING, we wouldn't be FORCED to speak Spanish in order to GET A JOB.

I have NO PROBLEM with learning foreign languages. I took Latin, Spanish and French in High School and College and I believe that it broadens my life skills to be able to at least understand other languages. But, the point is that these activists are forcing ONE LANGUAGE down our throats and that is SPANISH.

I look at this as a non-issue because this is AMERICA. We need to join the fight in having English declared the official language of our country and then we need to demand stringent standards on any foreign person who comes to our country LEGALLY to work. In fact, we are right in the midst of fighting a huge battle to stop that invasion so, if we are successful, there sure won't be a need for anyone to learn Spanish in order to GET A JOB.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Instead they'll need to learn English to GET A JOB!

Hopefully, they won't be here and we won't have to worry about it.

Obviously I remain optimistic on deportation and hopefully they'll leave and go north to Canada or south back home voluntarily.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm certain Canada will welcome them with open arms. Of course, they will take ANYONE. They even let Condi come up there!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Yeah that seems to be the case in Canada. They've gladly welcomed a few thousand.

Wait until they get 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 a year for a couple of years.

Wait until that socialized medicine in Canada has to pay for all their medical needs including those "birthings".

Wait until their schools are so overcrowded Canadian Citizens are rolled out to learn in trailers.

Wait until their wages drop $200 Billion a year.

Yep.....you've got alot to learn CANADA!!

But until then:

"Happy Immigrating To You,

Happy Immigrating To You,

Happy Immigrating, Dear Canada,

Happy Immigrating To You.....

and Many More!!"

well if this guy wants to learn a second Language, maybe he should consider Chinese. It is Spoken by more people in the world.

here is his first lesson in Chinese.

Ni hao = Hello sounds like Knee how when spoken

Xie Xie = Thank you sounds like She She.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Cool Scubayons!!

How do you say "Good Bye"?

And "Go Home"?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Cool Scubayons!!

How do you say "Good Bye"?

And "Go Home"?

Good Bye is Zai jian sounds like dzay jenn

here is a good one you can do,

Nihui yingwen ma sounds like Nee Whey Eeng-win ma

Meaning is do you speak English.

Go home = qu
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

GREAT suggestion, Scub! The numbers sure prove your point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast