Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico's Calderon Takes His Case to Congress

FoxNews.com

Associated Press
    May 20, 2010
    Mexico's Calderon Takes His Case to Congress

In a speech before a joint meeting of Congress, Mexico's president is expected to push for immigration changes and emphasize the economic priorities that link the United States and Mexico.

WASHINGTON -- Mexican President Felipe Calderon is taking his case for a fair and orderly overhaul of U.S. immigration policies to the people who can do something about it: members of Congress.

One day after private meetings with President Barack Obama and White House celebrations in his honor, Calderon pivots Thursday to the Capitol, where he will address a joint meeting of Congress. He is expected to push in the speech for immigration changes and emphasize the economic priorities that link the United States and Mexico.

Calderon's state visit comes at a time of renewed furor over the flawed immigration system from Mexico into the United States. From border security troubles to questions about how to deal with the millions of illegal migrants living in the United States, the immigration debate remains politically vexing, frustrating and volatile.

Obama is lobbying lawmakers to get moving on legislation that would seek to deal with the security, employment and citizenship issues at once. He concedes, however, that he does not yet have the Republican support he would need to get such a complex deal done. Whether any progress will happen this year is unclear.

Stoking the matter is a new law approved by Arizona lawmakers and set to take effect July 29 unless derailed by legal challenges. It requires police, in the context of enforcing other laws, to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the United States illegally.

Calderon calls that discriminatory, and Obama agrees the Arizona law could well be applied that way. He has ordered a Justice Department review.

"A prosperous North America that benefits both Americans and Mexicans is only feasible if we work shoulder to shoulder, and if we confront these challenges decisively and courageously," Calderon said at the White House on Wednesday, pushing for cooperation on the economy, migration and security.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05 ... -congress/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

i wonder how many members of congress will walk out on this bozo when he speaks

Isn't it amazing how Calderon can waltz into this country and say whatever he wants, advocates we should do this and that and his own country is a violent corrupt mess? Saw the same thing when Bush was in office and Fox came to tell us what to do. Where is our leadership? Why isn't more pressure put on Mexico to help their citizens instead of us being their escape valve?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good questions Jean. All I can say is we must stay active and keep calling the GOP Senators whom Obama is targeting, such as George LeMieux, Judd Gregg, Scott Brown, Lisa Murkowski, Olympia Snowe, and Susan Collins.

I hope everyone can take just a few minutes tomorrow and call some of the senators listed above.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I utilized NumbersUSA to send faxes and to include my displeasure that the President of Mexico is addressing the Congress.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Isn't it amazing how Calderon can waltz into this country and say whatever he wants, advocates we should do this and that and his own country is a violent corrupt mess? Saw the same thing when Bush was in office and Fox came to tell us what to do. Where is our leadership? Why isn't more pressure put on Mexico to help their citizens instead of us being their escape valve?
    I was curious about this same thing. I wonder too when he goes back to Mexico what changes if any is he going to make there? I mean if we are expected to further bend over backwards than what are they going to do for us? I highly doubt that Mexico has anything to offer the state of Arizona. He needs to stay out of our business and fix his mess before commenting on someone else.