Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Miami contemplates ID's for illegals

IMMIGRATION
    IDs for immigrants gain voice
    The head of a Miami-Dade advisory panel has expressed interest in an ID card for residents, including those who are undocumented immigrants.
    BY ALFONSO CHARDY
    achardy@MiamiHerald.com
    The Miami-Dade Community Relations Board may explore whether the county should issue identification cards for residents, including undocumented immigrants, the chairman of a board committee said Thursday.

The Rev. Harold A. Vieux made the statement following the board's Fair Immigration Committee meeting at County Hall, where the ID proposal was made by José Lagos, head of Miami-based immigrant rights group Honduran Unity.

Vieux's remarks marked the first formal expression of interest on the part of a South Florida municipal panel for an ID card similar to one being issued by New Haven, Conn. New Haven is the first U.S. city to offer its own official IDs to residents, including undocumented immigrants.

Official ID cards -- like Florida driver's licenses -- are generally issued by states.

But to qualify for a state ID in Florida and several other states, people must not only prove they are residents of the state but also that they are in the country legally. Foreign nationals must present green cards or other valid federal immigration documents and visas.

New Haven requires some type of utility bill to prove residency. Jessica Mayorga, a spokeswoman for New Haven Mayor John DeStefano, said more than 400 people had applied for the card on Wednesday and that hundreds more were in line Thursday at City Hall.

Immigrant rights activists like municipal ID cards because undocumented immigrants can use them to open bank accounts or secure apartment rental agreements. Opponents say they can end up shielding criminals or be easily forged.

Vieux said the staff of the Community Relations Board will research the ID card, gather information from New Haven and then formally present the issue to the full board so members can decide whether to recommend that county commissioners approve a county ID card.

Separately, Steven Forester, senior policy advocate for Fanm Ayisyen Nan Miyami, or Haitian Women of Miami Inc., proposed that the committee recommend that county commissioners declare Miami-Dade a ''sanctuary'' from deportation for immigrants with final removal orders who do not have a criminal record.

Vieux said the committee needed more ''data'' on the sanctuary proposal before it could be brought before the full board.

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/183783.html

Hmmm, think there in cahoots with the greed monger mayor of New Haven?
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My husband born and raised in Miami said they have seen Miami taken over. The difference is the Cubans wanted to assimulate and wanted to be citizens. Why Miami having gone through this would want to do it again just blows me away. Except for the fact that building still goes on when dealing with the hurricanes a few years ago. That is right where they are using them.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Well, we went through Andrew and the other more recent ones as well.

You would not believe the fraud with insurance that has gone on down there after the hurricanes.

People just bring their garden hoses right inside and water down the house so that they can collect EVERYTHING they can POSSIBLY get from the insurance companies.

Today many people call Hurricane Andrew..."Saint Andrew".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But to qualify for a state ID in Florida and several other states, people must not only prove they are residents of the state but also that they are in the country legally. Foreign nationals must present green cards or other valid federal immigration documents and visas.
    A monkey can get a "valid looking" id now. All an illegal alien needs is a few bucks and they can buy any document that looks like the real McCoy.

New Haven requires some type of utility bill to prove residency.
    That is ludicrous!

All of this is just another way for politicians to say "these illegals have deep roots in the community now, so we have to bring them out of the shadows by making them legal." Watch and see.
    I bet Bush has been planting the seeds all over the nation to give these id's since his idiotic "Grand Scam Amnesty" failed.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    My husband born and raised in Miami said they have seen Miami taken over. The difference is the Cubans wanted to assimulate and wanted to be citizens. Why Miami having gone through this would want to do it again just blows me away. Except for the fact that building still goes on when dealing with the hurricanes a few years ago. That is right where they are using them.

My spouse is Cuban. I lived in Miami about 20 years ago for about 18 months. Miami was a balkanized Tower of Babel then and really nothing has changed. Cubans did not want to assimilate and did not want to become citizens. That is why they still refer to themselves as "exiles" and that is why it is and has been tough to live there if you don't speak Spanish.

Some of the first groups that came over might have been a little different and might have wanted to assimilate and be citizens. I know a few that fall into that category.

Most vote Republican because they are still mad at Kennedy for the Bay of Pigs fiasco. But at the end of the day they will vote for almost anyone with a Hispanic surname regardless of party so even giving illegals ID cards probably won't hurt the Hispanic politicians that run the place one bit.

Most do everything they can to distance themselves from blacks. In fact they are downright racist in their feelings about the black community.

There is a book (can't remember the name right now) about the history of Cubans in the US. Chapter 1 is titled "Exiles, not Immigrants". It details how Cubans came here solely to escape Castro and were planning on going back when Castro was gone from power. It says that they had no desire to assimilate, could have cared less about American culture and didn't care about citizenship. They turned Miami into a country within a country. After the Mariel boatlift nearly all remaining Americans left hence the bumper sticker "Will the last American leaving Miami please bring the flag".

My spouse did not become a citizen until after graduating from college in spite of being in the country for 19 years at that point. And that story is not that unusual for Cubans. I left Miami after 18 months because I got tired of people telling me that I should be speaking Spanish because I live in Miami. I also got tired of getting the cold shoulder when shopping or trying to get service of any kind because I didn't speak Spanish.

Tom Tancredo hit the nail on the head when he said that Miami is a third-world country. It was true 30 years ago and it's still true today.

This action by city of Miami doesn't surprise me one bit. In fact I'm surprised that they weren't the first on the bandwagon, as they don't much care about our laws and pretty much do what they want.

The cubans I have met in Miami have assimulated. It could be that my husbands family lives in affluent part of Miami. Maybe that is why I have not seen this.

I do know that if the Mexican government was over thrown today the Mexicans would be running back home also.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

MW
    Paige wrote:

I do know that if the Mexican government was over thrown today the Mexicans would be running back home also.
    How so? A replaced government is not going to automatically cure what ails Mexico.

I was in Miami several years ago, and was utterly amazed at the transformation that had taken place over a 25 year period (for the worse).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Someone needs to nip this ID card for illegals in the bud before it gets out of control!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    I was born and raised in Miami, Paige. It has gone from paradise to what it is now..however you want to describe it. I've been known (among others) to compare it to a third world nation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast