By PAUL BEDARD • 6/2/16 2:59 PM

Michelle Malkin, the conservative columnist who has written two well-received books about the nation's bungled immigration policies, is now getting recognition for her years of reporting on the issue that surged to the center of the 2016 presidential fight.

The author of the 2002 book "Invasion," and last year's "Sold-Out," Malkin on Friday will be presented an award for her coverage from the Center for Immigration Studies, the Washington-based immigration watchdog.

"She's done extensive shoe leather reporting on the issue for years and has highlighted wrinkles in the immigration mess that just don't get a lot of attention," said CIS Executive Director Mark Krikorian.

"She has done extensive work that really ought to put a lot of other regular reporters to shame," he added.

Malkin will receive the Katz Award for her reporting. It is presented each year to a reporter whose work has impacted the immigration debate. The Eugene Katz Award For Excellence in the Coverage of Immigration is named for a former CIS board member and head of Katz Communications. He died in 2000.

Malkin told Secrets, "I'm honored and humbled to receive the Katz Award for my coverage of immigration issues over the past quarter century. In my syndicated newspaper columns, blog posts, books, and TV appearances, I've strived to provide truly fair, balanced, and original reporting on our nation's borders, visa policies, and sovereignty."

The popular columnist who is active on Twitter said that she also has a personal interest in the issue.

"These issues are paramount to America's identity and my own. As the daughter of legal immigrants, I've always felt a deep and special obligation to counter the prevailing open-borders narratives that dominate most of the media," she said.

Malkin is not only nationally syndicated, but she is also a senior editor at the growing Conservative Review.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mi...rticle/2592849