Posted on Sat, Nov. 03, 2007
Race pits finisher against starter
By MICHAEL NEWSOM
mmnewsom@sunherald.com

MOSS POINT -- The race for the State Senate District 51 seat pits experience against youthful enthusiasm, as 70-year-old Democrat and former legislator Ray Vecchio faces 29-year-old Republican Michael Watson.
The winner in Tuesday's election will replace Republican Sen. Tommy Robertson, whom Watson defeated in the August primaries.

Watson, a Pascagoula defense attorney and 2003 graduate of the University of Mississippi School of Law, said he would conduct himself in a manner befitting a person in office. When asked, he said he views his age as a political asset.

"I think overall (voters) are excited about it," Watson said. "People are tired of good-old-boy Mississippi and they are excited about the new generation coming in with bright leadership and outside-the-box thinking."

He said education is a big issue for him. Watson favors one day a year when sales tax on school supplies would be waived to help take the financial burden off working families, as some become overwhelmed when they get their kids ready for school. The waiver seems to be working in other states, he said. Such proposals have died several times in the Mississippi Legislature.

But Watson said he's knocking on thousands of doors and many he meets have brought up immigration reform. Watson favors amending the state Constitution to say English is the official state language. He favors more stringent voter-identification laws to prevent illegal immigrants from voting. He also wants to make it easier for law enforcement to deport those here illegally, or to keep them in jail, when they are arrested.

He said stabilizing existing businesses would make the area attractive to other businesses. He advocates training for employees to help local businesses compete to keep people from leaving the state to work; he notes employers in neighboring states have similar programs, which help to keep workers at home.

Vecchio served in the state House of Representatives from 1983 until 1993. He said his record shows he's a populist.

The inventory tax, which is what business owners pay each year after an assessor evaluates the value of their inventory, should be dropped, Vecchio said. Making the sales tax equal in the county to what is being charged in the cities would also level the playing field for struggling counties, Vecchio said.

He favors lowering the grocery tax, but instead of raising the tax on cigarettes Vecchio would propose a small increase in the handling fees alcohol distributors pay to the state, to help bring more money into state coffers. Vecchio believes raising the cigarette tax would cause distributors to bootleg them into the state.

Vecchio contends illegal immigration is a federal issue, and the state government has little authority in those matters. He said voters haven't said much about the issue to him. Like Watson, Vecchio said he is knocking on many doors as Tuesday's election draws near.

"My overall general opinion is people are nice, and most are cordial, but you have some dummies out there," Vecchio said.

Vecchio believes his experience makes him the best man for the job.

"I think I have built a pretty good resumé," Vecchio said. "My opponent is a durn good defense lawyer for everything I am opposed to - corporations, judicial change, etc. If you were trying to hire the two of us for a government job and I had my credentials, and he had his credentials, who would you hire?"

- SOURCE HEREDistrict 51

Vecchio

Watson

Ray Vecchio

Political party: Democrat.

Current occupation: Retired.

Highest educational degree: Master's degree in international politics, Boston University. Personal: 70 years old, married, three children.

Why I'm running: "Basically I want to go back to the Legislature and finish the unfinished business with the constitutional initiative, education, and health plans."

Michael Watson

Political Party: Republican.

Current occupation: Attorney, 2003 to present.

Highest educational degree: Law degree, University of Mississippi, 2003. Personal: 29 years old, single.

Why I'm running: "I am running because I believe the people of Jackson County need, want and deserve a senator they can be proud of who provides strong, ethical and conservative leadership. As a leader, I will strive to be accessible and deeply involved in the community, while remaining focused on education, local business and family values."