Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles ... llegal.txt

Senate OKs bill aimed at illegal immigration

By The Associated Press
    HELENA - The first in a series of bills designed to curb illegal immigration was endorsed by the Senate on Thursday.

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Jim Shockley, R-Victor, would prohibit unlawful workers from obtaining or renewing state occupational licenses, such as those needed to be a plumber or a doctor. The measure passed 27-23, with every Republican senator and three Democratic senators voting for it.

Shockley, who has sponsored four other bills designed to restrict illegal immigrants this session, said the majority of Montanans want the government to punish unlawful workers. He told the Senate that he was "nibbling around the edges" of the issue because immigration is the federal government's responsibility.

"The problem is the Congress passes laws they don't want the president to enforce. And guess what, he doesn't enforce them," Shockley said.
    Opponents of the bill said it was unnecessary and would create problems for law-abiding workers. Applicants for professional licenses would have to present a valid Social Security or tax-identification number, or an official document proving the applicant could work in the United States legally.

Sen. Dave Wanzenried, D-Missoula, said a similar effort had been tried in Colorado but failed and wound up costing taxpayers there $2 million.

"The public expects these laws to work," Wanzenried said.

But Shockley said his bill would work and that opponents were trying to "muddy the waters" surrounding the illegal-immigration debate.

"Some Democrats don't want to make illegal immigrants uncomfortable," he said after the debate.

Sen. Jesse Laslovich, D-Anaconda, said he voted against Shockley's bill because it was bad policy, not for partisan reasons.

"There are already codes in place that protect Montana's workers," Laslovich said.

The Senate was scheduled to vote on another anti-illegal-immigration bill sponsored by Shockley today. That bill would make it a felony for an illegal alien to register to vote.

Copyright © 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Published on Friday, February 16, 2007.
    Last modified on 2/16/2007 at 12:56 am
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

CCUSA wrote:
    Montana seems like a very patriotic state. I would consider moving there because of the unpatriotic Representatives we have in NJ.

I wonder if they have a good pizza place out there in cattle country?

2ndAmendsis wrote:

LOL
    have to make our own, CC

However, would you be chosing CHENEY'S neighborhood?

Hi Sis:

Thanks for the heads up on El Vice Presidente CHENEY'S state of residence. I'm still willing to consider because of the fact they vote for BILLS THAT BENEFIT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and not Greedy Corporate America. I still have to do some research on that pizza before I consider moving though!

P.S. I'll stay in Jersey Sis. I would miss the Jersey shore too much. Maybe I'll take a vacation there instead.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA

CCUSA wrote:
    Montana seems like a very patriotic state. I would consider moving there because of the unpatriotic Representatives we have in NJ.

I wonder if they have a good pizza place out there in cattle country?

2ndAmendsis wrote:

LOL
    have to make our own, CC

However, would you be chosing CHENEY'S neighborhood?

Hi Sis:

Thanks for the heads up on El Vice Presidente CHENEY'S state of residence. I'm still willing to consider because of the fact they vote for BILLS THAT BENEFIT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and not Greedy Corporate America. I still have to do some research on that pizza before I consider moving though!

P.S. I'll stay in Jersey Sis. I would miss the Jersey shore too much. Maybe I'll take a vacation there instead.

Legislature fixates on budget, taxes

Only posted part of this article.
    ~~~~~

Legislature fixates on budget, taxes
    By The Gazette State Bureau

HELENA - The Legislature cranks up to full throttle this week on committee hearings, with tax and budget issues dominating the agenda.

Here's a look at the highlights for the week:

ILLEGAL ALIENS: Two bills from Sen. Jim Shockley, R-Victor, aimed at restricting illegal aliens will be heard this week. On Tuesday, the House Business and Labor Committee will hear SB258, which prohibits granting or renewing professional licenses to illegal aliens. Room 172, 8 a.m. On Friday, the House Judiciary Committee will hear SB346, sponsored by Shockley, which prohibits public contracts with anyone who "knowingly" employs illegal aliens. Room 137, 8 a.m.

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/200 ... budget.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12