By OFFICE OF REP. STEVE PEARCE R-NM 2 • 3 HOURS AGO

This week, Congressman Steve Pearce helped lead a Congressional Field Hearing to gain a local perspective from law enforcement, elected officials, and residents about border security challenges.

“Hearing from the individuals that live and work in these border regions illustrates a common theme. There is a very clear disconnect between what Washington believes is the solution to secure our border and what those living here experience on a daily basis. Border security strategies that we have employed in the last several decades are clearly not working, so we must fundamentally change our approach,” said Congressman Pearce.

This was the second discussion this year alone, where the Congressman met with local residents to discuss border security. Recently, Congressman Pearce was the only federal representative to attend a border security meeting in Animas, NM, where over 600 citizens voiced their concerns about the need for heightened security in the region.

“What I heard in Animas was that the individuals that live in these regions feel forgotten and expendable. The fault is not with the agents that risk their lives every day, but with Washington bureaucrats. Our border security agents are capable of doing their jobs, however do not have the resources to implement the solutions needed. This includes changing the way we patrol the border, developing and deploying emerging technology to assist agents, and more. My message to those living and working on the border is that you are not forgotten, you are not expendable, and I am continuously dedicated to making sure Washington hears your stories,” added Pearce.

In the coming months, Congressman Pearce will continue meeting with the U.S. Border Patrol and others to find solutions that will help change the way the federal government provides security for our New Mexican border communities.

http://krwg.org/post/pearce-helps-le...order-security