Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nasty Exchanges in First McCain-Hayworth Debate

July 17, 2010, 12:00 am
    Nasty Exchanges in First McCain-Hayworth Debate
    By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press

Perhaps divining that there was nothing that the people of Phoenix would long for more on a 106-degree Friday night at 7 p.m. than watching a political debate, Senator John McCain finally faced off with his Republican primary rival J. D. Hayworth with less than two months remaining before voters go to the polls. A Tea Party latecomer, Jim Deakin, also joined the fray in the first debate of the race.

In a debate heavy with references to constitutional articles and amendments — the new little black dress of American politics — each man smacked the others around in fairly nasty exchanges over financial legislation, earmarks, corporate bailouts and immigration policy. They barely stopped to chuckle, though they did that too, largely at each other’s answers.

Mr. McCain was first out of the box, immediately criticizing Mr. Hayworth, a former congressman, for his 2007 infomercial in which he hawked seminars teaching people how they could get federal grant money for free. Mr. Hayworth quickly countered that while he has made mistakes, “the unfortunate thing is you made mistake after mistake that hurt America,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Come On Arizona

Come on Arizona. How can anyone there be in favor of John McCain? One step forward, two steps back by passing 1070 and re electing McCain.

Arizonans, the fate of our nation rests in your hands again. Dont let McCain fool you .

I am praying for at least a runoff. Senators do not only affect their state, but our nation as a whole. How can anyone in Arizona vote for McCain?

I would like to know where his campaign money is coming from. I will bet mostly outside of AZ.

The voters who are turning out to vote for McAmnesty are probably his age cohorts, ones with the "same" memories as he has. When I worked at the polls, the majority of voters were over 60. However, more and more folk are not growing up with memories of "the good, old days." I kind of wonder what type of politicians will arise and how they will attract the voters. Kind of a scary thought.

McCain is irrational and should not be in office in the first place. The fact that it's almost impossible to get him out is due to the fact that as a group the voters are also irrational. And he just reflects that. So don't be surprised if he wins.