Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NC In-state tuition plan collapses

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC In-state tuition plan collapses

Furor scuttles aid for illegal immigrants
    By JIM MORRILL
    Charlotte Observer

A bill to give undocumented immigrants in-state college tuition appears dead after being blasted by talk radio and emerging as the focus of North Carolina's growing debate over illegal immigration.

A main sponsor, Rep. Paul Luebke, D-Durham, said the bill has little chance to pass before the legislature's Thursday deadline.

"I wish we could recognize the importance of educating young people," Luebke said. "I'm happy that a majority of public opinion is for it. But I'm sorry that there was a lot of heat generated on talk radio. ... Talk radio really made a rational discussion about this issue impossible."

With an estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants in North Carolina -- more than in all but seven states -- the bill sparked a firestorm. On one side: those who say the state should deal with the realities of undocumented workers. On the other: those who want no favors for people here illegally.

"The defeat of this bill is just the beginning," said Bill Gheen, president of the Raleigh-based Americans for Legal Immigration. "Illegal aliens in North Carolina are in the wrong state."

While there are other measures in the General Assembly dealing with immigrants, including bills to require proof of citizenship or legal residency to get a driver's license, nothing generated as much heat as the tuition bill introduced last month.

Angry e-mails flooded lawmakers. Rush Limbaugh railed against it. Phone lines burned at talk stations.

"You couple it with the Gulf War, Elian Gonzalez, Terri Schiavo, all together times two," said Kevin Miller, a talk host on Raleigh's WPTF. "You couldn't get away from the topic. ... People were jamming the phone lines to talk about it."

Republican Rep. Louis Pate of Wayne County, one of several lawmakers who removed their names as co-sponsors, acknowledged hearing "some pretty strong language from people on the talk radio programs."

The bill would have allowed undocumented students who attend an N.C. high school for four years, graduate, and apply for legal status to get in-state tuition.

Eleven states offer illegal immigrants in-state tuition. About a dozen more are considering it.

Rep. Jeff Barnhart, a Cabarrus County Republican and co-sponsor of the bill, has said children shouldn't be punished for the actions of their parents.

No aid for top students

An 18-year-old girl in Eastern North Carolina just graduated as valedictorian of her high school class. Her grade-point average was 4.53. She was president of the Science Club, active in school activities and won academic honors while working part time.But when she came to this country from Mexico in the fourth grade, she and her family entered illegally. So despite her achievements, she's not eligible for lower tuition. School district officials won't disclose her name or school for fear of repercussions against her or her family.

Supporters say she's just the kind of person the bill is designed to help.

"Does it make sense to have the smartest kid at a high school putting ketchup and onion on a hamburger somewhere at a job?" said Chris Fitzsimon, director of N.C. Policy Watch, a progressive Raleigh think tank.

An Elon University poll last month found that 49 percent of North Carolinians supported the tuition measure, while 41 percent opposed it. A poll released Thursday by the conservative John William Hope Civitas Institute of Raleigh showed 83 percent of North Carolinians oppose the idea.

This month, Republican Sen. Neal Hunt of Raleigh offered an amendment to the budget bill that would make it harder for illegal immigrants to go to community colleges. Under current law, illegal immigrants who have lived in the state for a year and sought legal status qualify for in-state tuition at such colleges. The amendment, which passed, would offer in-state tuition to immigrants "lawfully present."

Part of larger debate

Those on both sides say college costs are a symptom of a larger problem.

"If we can have some smart child become more productive, I think we all win," said Barnhart. "But you can't get to that point because people can't get past the bigger problem. ... They think we're trying to encourage more illegal immigration. And that's the last thing I want to do."

Barnhart said illegal immigration isn't going away until the federal government reforms its immigration policy. President Bush has proposed a "guest worker" program that would give immigrants, whatever their status, temporary work visas. But even his fellow Republicans are split.

Gheen of Americans for Legal Immigration believes "illegal aliens in North Carolina will eventually leave if we do the right things."

"What North Carolina needs to do," he said, "is turn off all magnetism to illegals. No licenses. No in-state tuition (or) scholarships. No welfare."

Andrea Bazan Manson, who heads the Raleigh-based Latino advocacy group El Pueblo, said the fight over the tuition bill put the immigration issue on the table and brought out as many sympathizers as critics. She said one bank just contributed $30,000 to a scholarship fund for Latino students.

"We don't feel that we've lost anything by not having the bill make it all the way," she said. "Certainly, we were very upset by the backlash it created and some of the ugly discussion we observed. (But) it created a debate about an issue much bigger than the bill."

Jim Morrill: (704) 358-5059; jmorrill@charlotteobserver.com.

Let's all remember, we helped defeat this! http://www.alipac.us/article-430--0-0.html

"I'm happy that a majority of public opinion is for it
    That is an outright lie. You can even poll the public in ultra liberal states like California and Massachussets and they would overwhelmingly tell you they are against it, but your going to tell me that conservative NC is overwhelmingly for it? I'm not buying it. Show me a poll that states NC residents favor tuition breaks for invaders. Just one poll.

Anyway great work guys. Certainly gives me some confidence that the system can work once in a while.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

An 18-year-old girl in Eastern North Carolina just graduated as valedictorian of her high school class. Her grade-point average was 4.53. She was president of the Science Club, active in school activities and won academic honors while working part time.But when she came to this country from Mexico in the fourth grade, she and her family entered illegally. So despite her achievements, she's not eligible for lower tuition. School district officials won't disclose her name or school for fear of repercussions against her or her family.

Supporters say she's just the kind of person the bill is designed to help.

"Does it make sense to have the smartest kid at a high school putting ketchup and onion on a hamburger somewhere at a job?" said Chris Fitzsimon, director of N.C. Policy Watch, a progressive Raleigh think tank.
    Too bad for her. She already got Free Tution from foruth grade to HS Thats 8 years of Free Education. Pay the out of State Tution and help make up for the losses.

An Elon University poll last month found that 49 percent of North Carolinians supported the tuition measure, while 41 percent opposed it. A poll released Thursday by the conservative John William Hope Civitas Institute of Raleigh showed 83 percent of North Carolinians oppose the idea.
    Um, somebody needs to do the math? 49% for would equal how many opposed? Anyone?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

In-state tuition plan collapses

Great news! And a great start-off for the holiday weekend!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

YUP.....GREAT NEWS even though the SPIN infuriates me.

** Any kid with THAT GRADE POINT AVERAGE is a shoe in for a SCHOLARSHIP.......that paragraph is a LIE.

Andrea Bazan Manson, who heads the Raleigh-based Latino advocacy group El Pueblo, said the fight over the tuition bill put the immigration issue on the table and brought out as many sympathizers as critics. She said one bank just contributed $30,000 to a scholarship fund for Latino students.
    WHAT BANK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS??
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

All you folks from the Durham area remember this one come election time. Rep. Paul Luebke, D-Durham A main sponsor of the bill
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hallelujah, this is great news! This makes my weekend...... This is the particular issue that brought me to this site. I feel some gratification knowing our hard work paid off and we have accomplished one item on the agenda. Now on to the remaining ones.

We need to take way the magnetic force that is drawing them here.

I am reminded of when someone told me about the eagle preparing her young for flight. Her baby birds don't want to leave the nest and want to stay there the rest of their life. The mother eagle eventually starts pulling the soft grass and bedding out exposing the thorns and prickly items she started with. Those baby birds are more willing now to get out of that comfortable nest and will want to learn to fly.

Thanx, William, for ram rodding this one!
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

Yep, you're right StraightShooter, William put that dog to sleep. While I know he's too modest to take proper credit, much thanks is owed to the President of ALIPAC, and our members for putting this issue down for at least this session. Let's don't grow complacent though, because they'll bring it up again next year, in a different guise. Plus we Mustkeep working on getting the other GOOD bills out of committee before the cross-over date next Thursday. A list of all Bills we have to work to get out of Committee can be found here, http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-2061.html

This is great news! I sent emails to every member of the House in opposition to HB 1183 that would allow NC in-state university tuiton to the children of illegal aliens. I also sent a few emails to a few House members asking them to support Amendment 3 to prevent in-state tuition at NC community colleges to those who are not legal citizens (or, thanking them if they were already supporting it). Nelson Dollar (R-Wake) who was one of the opponents of HB 1183 and supporters of Amendment 3 sent me thank you emails both times. He wasn't the only House member to send emails - several replied - most were supportive toward the emails I sent them. Another House member I'm impressed with is Russell Capps (R-Wake). It is good to know elected officials respond and care and I will definitely remember names during upcoming elections. I usually vote democrat, but it appears from the stances and responses I've received on this issue, as well as general support for securing our borders and dealing seriously with illegal immigration on a more national level, I will be voting much more republican in the future.

None of this - the publicity with HB 1183 - nor many other illegal alien issues could have come about without the dedication of President William Gheen, nor the other dedicated leaders of ALI-PAC. True, we all helped with our letters, phone calls, etc., but if it weren't for the dedication of ALI-PAC key people, I probably wouldn't have known about these particular issues or many others, and probably would never have gotten around to(i.e., gotten off my butt) writing as many letters as I did. It's been a very long time since I've written so many messages to so many elected officials on any topic.

Thank you, and thank you too on behalf of my children one of whom is a teen and isn't too far away from considering college. Whether or not she chooses in-state college or college at all, and whether or not she will be accepted if she does, at least her chances will not be jeopardized by unfair competition from those who are not legal citizens.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast