No DREAM Vote This Week; Will White House Veto?
by John Gizzi
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22506
Posted: 09/21/2007

The controversial DREAM Act -- which critics say will leave to in-state tuition for illegal aliens and lead to a major jump in the number of illegal immigrants in the armed forces -- will not be coming up for a vote in the Senate this week, sources close to the Senate Republican Leadership assured me. Meanwhile, the White House Press Office made it clear to me that it is not pleased with parts of the measure, which is officially known as the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act and whose official number in the Senate in S. 1545.

DREAM has actually been around since ’03 and its latest version has been introduced by Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah and Democratic Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois. According to the National Immigration Law Center, “[i]mmigrant students who have grown up in the U.S., graduated from high school here, and can demonstrate good moral character would initially qualify for ‘condiditonal lawful permanent resident’ status, which would normally last for six years.â€